• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Revolutionary Girl Utena Blu Ray Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching this show in 2006, as I like Ribbon no Kishi (Princess Knight), being a Tezuka fan. I coun'tnot stand Anthy. She was pathetic and obnoxious, turning me away completely. I feel like I'm missing out, but I found Penguindrum and Kuma Arashi to be flawed in terms of story execution and progression. I will never bother with those series again. Penguindrum was rushed horribly in the second half and Kuma Arashi was just symbolism with bare bones story. The visuals were really interesting for both, but I value a solid story more.

So am I missing out on something great? Or is more of a rehash of his later works? I enjoyed his work on Sailor Moon, having grown up with it.

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Eighth grade? I don't think that ever really registered with me until now. So, Utena and Anthy are supposed to be, what, 13 or 14 years old? Somehow that seems off; or maybe that's just me.
This reminds me of Prince of Tennis they are supposed to be in Junior High, I think? Seriously, how?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I tried watching this show in 2006, as I like Ribbon no Kishi (Princess Knight), being a Tezuka fan. I coun'tnot stand Anthy. She was pathetic and obnoxious, turning me away completely. I feel like I'm missing out, but I found Penguindrum and Kuma Arashi to be flawed in terms of story execution and progression. I will never bother with those series again. Penguindrum was rushed horribly in the second half and Kuma Arashi was just symbolism with bare bones story. The visuals were really interesting for both, but I value a solid story more.

So am I missing out on something great? Or is more of a rehash of his later works? I enjoyed his work on Sailor Moon, having grown up with it.

I don't think I've ever met an Utena fan who didn't dislike Anthy at least a little bit at some point, and a lot of people think that Utena is a much more interesting show if you hate Anthy from the very beginning... so I say go for it! Laughing

Utena is definitely the most "polished" of the three shows, and doesn't have any of Penguindrum's pacing problems or Yuri Kuma Arashi's symbolism-over-story problems (word is that Yuri Kuma Arashi's bare-bones story was the result of them needing to compress what was originally planned as a multi-coeur story down to a single season). It's also the closest in tone to Ikuhara's work on Sailor Moon - the earliest concepts for the show supposedly came out of an abandoned pitch for a Sailor Saturn / Sailor Neptune film.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
grooven wrote:

I don't think I've ever met an Utena fan who didn't dislike Anthy at least a little bit at some point, and a lot of people think that Utena is a much more interesting show if you hate Anthy from the very beginning... so I say go for it! Laughing

Utena is definitely the most "polished" of the three shows, and doesn't have any of Penguindrum's pacing problems or Yuri Kuma Arashi's symbolism-over-story problems (word is that Yuri Kuma Arashi's bare-bones story was the result of them needing to compress what was originally planned as a multi-coeur story down to a single season). It's also the closest in tone to Ikuhara's work on Sailor Moon - the earliest concepts for the show supposedly came out of an abandoned pitch for a Sailor Saturn / Sailor Neptune film.

Alright, I think I will give it a go. You have very similar interests to mine (reading in other threads) and you even have Touhou avatar, so you have convinced me Anime hyper.

Oh wow, that makes sense seeing what happened with the other works. Nice to read what happens behind the scenes.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
It's also the closest in tone to Ikuhara's work on Sailor Moon - the earliest concepts for the show supposedly came out of an abandoned pitch for a Sailor Saturn / Sailor Neptune film.

Uranus & Neptune you mean and yeah, It was supposed to be the original pitch for the SuperS movie.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Uranus & Neptune you mean

Embarassed Extra embarrassing considering I was sitting with a poster of Uranus directly in my field of vision when I wrote that.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:59 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:

I feel like Ikuhara's work can be very hit or miss with fans. It always seems like everyone either really loves Ikuhara's series or they're very meh about him. I personally enjoy Utena and I think it's probably his most easily accessible work in terms of understanding the plot. But Ikuhara is definitely not for everyone as he does place a lot of emphasis on style and surrealist symbolism and I can understand that it can be off putting for a lot of people. I enjoy Ikuhara's works but I would say not to force yourself to like it if it's not your type of show to enjoy just because a lot of other people do. As for the characters' ages, I don't think it dawned on me until I read this thread that the characters are supposed to be in middle school. I always thought they were in college all this time because everyone always seemed a lot older than middle school.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
[quote="CCTakato"]
grooven wrote:

As for the characters' ages, I don't think it dawned on me until I read this thread that the characters are supposed to be in middle school. I always thought they were in college all this time because everyone always seemed a lot older than middle school.

The characters are a mix of ages. Touga, Saionji, and Juri are in high school; while the rest of the main cast are in middle school.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I’ve got the CE of this preordered.

Though I find it somewhat unfortunate that I was in the process of rewatching it when they announced the Blu-ray. It would have been better to have the Blu-ray viewing further separated from my last watch of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2