• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 90% of Crunchyroll Users Identify as Gamers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
When mobile phones are considered a gaming platform..........

Try "when mobile phones can run better games than consoles".... Neutral

Granblue Fantasy, Fate/Grand Order, Monster Strike, etc. The numbers speak for themselves... GTA 5 is the only game i remember that got my continues attention for more than a few months. Then came GBF. Been playing for 2 years now with no true signs of stopping.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
joe_g7 wrote:

Try "when mobile phones can run better games than consoles".... Neutral

Granblue Fantasy, Fate/Grand Order, Monster Strike, etc. The numbers speak for themselves... GTA 5 is the only game i remember that got my continues attention for more than a few months. Then came GBF. Been playing for 2 years now with no true signs of stopping.

Like I said, I'm not a gamer, but the game I do play, I feel like what I get out of it is closer to a tabletop/ pen-and-paper game than to a video game. Card collecting, stats building, strategizing, resource management, etc. (the game is Yume100, if you're interested. It actually has a really deep level of strategy potential. Maybe not as much as FGO, but I find the characters and art more interesting than FGO).

So... I guess if you're measuring the quality of games by other things, then maybe, but I get an intellectually satisfying experience out of the strategy in this game.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
icomeanon4 wrote:
Only 90%? That's a surprise; thought it'd be at least 95.

Well, apparently there's still a 10% that own Roku boxes

Oh? You think one can't own a Roku box and be a gamer? I stream on a Roku - and I game on my PC.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
90% of users identify as gamers, 46% female user base... But many people on the internet will still insist that women don't play games.

Really depends on the platform, genre, and what people consider a 'gamer'. Usually the sites that push the 'most gamers are adult women" narrative focus on mobage. If we're talking console gaming, the numbers will be more in line with the demographics companies like Nintendo put out which is roughly 85/15. The breakdown in genre is definitely the biggest factor, though.

https://imgur.com/a/ZdyhF

In terms of AAA stuff like shooters, sports, and sandbox games, not many women play those. Stuff like JRPGs and platformers attract much more women, as expected. But at the tippy top are mobage. Even my mom plays stuff on her phone from time to time, despite zero interest in traditional console games. So technically, if some Madden or Call of Duty dudebro says girls don't play games, they're technically right, presuming they're talking about the games they're playing given the small percentage of women playing those titles.

-Stuart Smith
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Nekki Basara wrote:
Ultimately tell why this is relevant, if more males play games so what? if more females play games so what? apart from the now extreme leftists propaganda and constant confrontation between male vs female?

Games should be developed without garbage politics, games should be developed in the vision of the creators whatever that is, they are not there to fulfill extreme leftists ort extreme conservatives progaganda of todays world.

I agree, so let's not bring this whole annoying conflict into this forum, and cut this line of discussion, since all it will bring here is flamewars.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I knew I was in the minority as a non-gamer, but I didn't realize how much of a minority non-gamers were!

EricJ2 wrote:

Ever since '10, it's been the game console market that's driven the set-top living-room streaming market--We literally wouldn't have had the rise of Netflix today, let alone Hulu, CR or Amazon Prime, if not for the Playstation 3 and the X-Box.

I beg to differ. Crunchyroll may not be on all streaming devices, but Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime have been on just about every net connected Blu Ray player since their inception. Amazon Prime TV sticks and Google's streaming platform are also pretty popular and Roku is launching a bunch of new models this year. I don't think game consoles are the main impetus behind the popularity of streaming entertainment is America.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm maybe a little bit surprised the numbers are quite this high, to be honest. I have to wonder where other adults find the time to spend more than a few minutes at a time playing games anymore. As one myself, my gaming time has all but disappeared over the last decade. I used to put 30 hours a week into games and buy a couple games a month, at least, but no longer, unfortunately. The last game I was able to do that with was Fallout New Vegas. I still love games, I just don't have time to play them anymore. I'll cut out a couple of weeks a year to dig into a favorite and play a single game to death while on vacation(Fallout 4, Dishonored, a racing game, Call of Duty, or maybe an RTS or something like Civilization), but that's about all I can do. Maybe it's because I'm too obsessive, so it's impossible for me to only dedicate a little bit of time to something.
So, anyway, I guess I'm an ex-gamer, or something like that. Sad
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Ever since '10, it's been the game console market that's driven the set-top living-room streaming market--We literally wouldn't have had the rise of Netflix today, let alone Hulu, CR or Amazon Prime, if not for the Playstation 3 and the X-Box.

I beg to differ. Crunchyroll may not be on all streaming devices, but Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime have been on just about every net connected Blu Ray player since their inception. Amazon Prime TV sticks and Google's streaming platform are also pretty popular and Roku is launching a bunch of new models this year. I don't think game consoles are the main impetus behind the popularity of streaming entertainment is America.

Yeah.. I have not one but three devices attached to my TV that can stream some or all of those. (A Roku, a Tivo, and a net connected Blu Ray player.)
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:

Depends on the game being played I guess. Ones like Motorsport Manager or Fire Emblem Heroes could certainly cause phones to be considered gaming platforms.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
It's not surprising to me that the rate of crossover between "gamers" and people who watch anime is uniquely high for the simple reason that there are more cross-media adaptations between anime and video games than there are between video games and most other media.

Last edited by 鏡 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:33 am; edited 2 times in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Kovaelin wrote:
Anyone have a link to where this infographic came from and the survey? Thanks.

The infographic was sent to us straight from CR.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
In terms of AAA stuff like shooters, sports, and sandbox games, not many women play those. Stuff like JRPGs and platformers attract much more women, as expected. But at the tippy top are mobage. Even my mom plays stuff on her phone from time to time, despite zero interest in traditional console games. So technically, if some Madden or Call of Duty dudebro says girls don't play games, they're technically right, presuming they're talking about the games they're playing given the small percentage of women playing those titles.

-Stuart Smith

Yeah, but even certain multiplayer games must be more interesting to female gamers since I've met a good amount of them playing Overwatch and Friday the 13th.
MJKS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
it currently has 12 million monthly active users

Not that the article wasn't interesting, but I'm going to say it reeeeeeally buried the lede (even though that's not the paid subscriber number).
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote
MJKS wrote:
Quote:
it currently has 12 million monthly active users

Not that the article wasn't interesting, but I'm going to say it reeeeeeally buried the lede (even though that's not the paid subscriber number).

I noticed that too. I guess we now know how many of those 25 million free users are using the site regularly. Just subtract their 1.5 million paid subscribers and you got it. That's a lot of pretty regular free users. I bet most sites can't boast percentages like that.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
The title really needs to be changed... it's 90% of those polled, not 90% of all Crunchyroll users... :/ 10K turnout for a survey is kinda skewed though considering how many users they actually have...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4