• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Squid Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Got the Blu-ray myself, rewatched the first season and watched through the second and the OVAs for the first time.

One thing that bugged me, though I got used to it, is that the actors in the second season dub made absolutely no attempt to sound like the first season characters. I wouldn't mind that if they'd redubbed the first season but since they didn't it just comes off bizarre. I get they needed to recast, understand that, but could've at least tried to be a bit in the same ballpark with it.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
All those Sailor Moon stuff looks cool, though I only have the Star Power/Super Sailor Mercury figuarts.

I never bothered with Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches. Saw a scene with pervy groping and I was all "F**k this." That's a problem I have with a lot of anime nowadays (to me a lot of modern anime from 2010 onwards suck); a lot of them are just stupidly pervy sexualized fanservice...
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Never watched Squid Girl, though I'm planning on it at some point.

I may pick up the My Otome OVA eventually. I enjoyed the main series and I still have the Bandai Legends boxset for it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
All those Sailor Moon stuff looks cool, though I only have the Star Power/Super Sailor Mercury figuarts.

I never bothered with Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches. Saw a scene with pervy groping and I was all "F**k this." That's a problem I have with a lot of anime nowadays (to me a lot of modern anime from 2010 onwards suck); a lot of them are just stupidly pervy sexualized fanservice...
That's a huge generalisation, and it's not like shows that do have some raunchy content, are all about that.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Squid Girl, one of my favorite shows. Glad they dubbed the second season and made it available.

true enough. sentai could have easily had given this the sub only treatment like with hell girl season 2 as well as seasons 2, 3, and 4 of zero no tsukaima.

Quote:
The English audio track in this collection is something of an unusual case: Media Blasters dubbed the first season back in 2011, but they never got around to releasing the second season. This new set from Sentai Filmworks keeps that old dub of season 1, but nearly every role is recast for season 2 aside from keeping Christine Marie Cabanos as Squid Girl. For consistency's sake alone, I'd recommend sticking with the subtitled version.

well i wouldn't necessarily call it unusual at all since its not the first time companies do this.

for instance , in the new trigun movie, funi only kept JYB from the old animaze/zero limit productions TV cast as vash while exclusively using their VA for the rest of the other roles. also when they acquired the shakugan no shana license from geneon, they completely used their own English cast for the remaining seasons instead of reprising the cast from the ocean group/ocean studios who were more or less weren't doing anime roles anymore and doing more western cartoon series like some of Mattel's toy products which got TV series at that time (hot wheels and max steel) and/or other US kids shows like leggo's bionic and made only exceptions for the death note live action movie, the final season of inuyasha and the black lagoon OVA.

so it shouldn't be a surprise that sentai used their own VA and not reprise the old cast considering that outsourcing a dub tends to COST an arm and a leg for that company. also its highly possible that most of that cast, except for miss Marie of course no longer voice acts anymore or they did like miss bailey & her husband and no longer do anime vocal roles anymore.

well for whatever the reason why sentai didn't use reprise the role of the rest of the cast, it doesn't matter or should it actually matter at all. I'm just glad that the second season even got an English dub in the first place considering their track record of giving rescued licensed series like these (cough* cough* zero no tsukaima & hell girl) the shaft and more or less ship them into the sub only category.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:31 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
I see "The Critic" on the shelf. This is obviously a person with good taste.
Don't be so sure; I'm still on the edge of my seat as to whether or not Jeremy was able to rescue the planeload of supermodels.
Sailor Sedna wrote:

Thank you! I love many different things but, yeah, it's easy to recognize my babies; MLP and Hasbro raised me right.

And don't think "only" -everything is something: That new Mercury figure is gorgeous.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
When it comes to dub recasting, I think you can have some saving grace if you can at least
have a person reprising their role(s). You can even more saving grace if you get the lead VA to reprise their role. The first dubbed season does have some people who still do anime voice acting. However, Funi having somewhat of a monopoly on the Amer. Eng. dub market can make it harder for them to get anime dubbing work.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
@MarshalBanana

Eh, sorry. I haven't really watched a lot of anime (mostly older and some 2000s ones), but for whatever reason a lot of stuff out there just doesn't interest me, I wish I could find some modern stuff I'd like (the only anime I've seen recently was SMC III)...

@CandisWhite

You're welcome.

True, it is, though the back bow ribbons being more clear/transparent I'm not too fond of. Reason I said "only" is I'm still planning to get the other Figuarts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2