• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - DARLING in the FRANXX Has Only One Thing on its Mind

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashabel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Didn’t everyone flip out over Kill La Kill the exact same way?

And yet no one whines about Yuri on Ice.

The reason why "no one whines about Yuri!!! on Ice" is because it was a good, smartly directed and written show that used fanservice in tune with the mood presented by the show and delivered its messages without ever sabotaging itself. Both of those things are something Darling in the Franxx so far fails at.

You seem adamant on insisting that complaints in this article are about the presence of fanservice and not the way it's used, which does nothing to your ability to uphold an argument. When you argue, it's generally polite to understand the other side's argument first.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
But again, the whole “heteronormative” thing is so dumb. Like talking about this is bad in and of itself.

I think some people are just bored with it in every show, and want some variety. Doesn't bother me, and I'm curious to see where this is going (and think 002 may yet turn out to be something of a villain).

And we have had mechs with lesbian undertones before. Doesn't anyone remember Iczer One?
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
But again, the whole “heteronormative” thing is so dumb. Like talking about this is bad in and of itself.

I think some people are just bored with it in every show, and want some variety. Doesn't bother me, and I'm curious to see where this is going (and think 002 may yet turn out to be something of a villain).

And we have had mechs with lesbian undertones before. Doesn't anyone remember Iczer One?

Remember? Most weren't born yet.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Then again it’s not like the Iczer shows ever finished (I think even the manga-ka made fun of his tendencies for non endings once).

I think I’m defending this show because of what it could be given its base. It clearly needs some time to explain its main themes though.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I really don't get all the hate it's getting. They do the same with every series, It's a 2 cour Trigger series, calm the fudge down, the moment they set up a status quo they're gonna tear that shit down by episode 12 or even less so seriously, just wait.

Don't believe in Trigger, believe in the you that believes in Trigger.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
I really don't get all the hate it's getting. They do the same with every series, It's a 2 cour Trigger series, calm the fudge down, the moment they set up a status quo they're gonna tear that shit down by episode 12 or even less so seriously, just wait.

Don't believe in Trigger, believe in the you that believes in Trigger.

Trigger aren't present in Darling in the Franxx's production committee, they aren't involved in any decisions regarding the series' story, and they don't even animate it. They're only responsible for direction and animation in mecha fights, which means so far they're responsible for maybe four-five minutes of the series' current one-hour run time.

In other words, this isn't a Trigger show. If this is a Trigger show, then I'm the freaking creator of Final Fantasy on the grounds of having edited a couple localization scripts.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I think I’m defending this show because of what it could be given its base. It clearly needs some time to explain its main themes though.

I'm with you as far as wanting to give the show a chance. Its intrigued me enough that I'm willing to buy into its premise and want to see where it goes, even if its execution is about as subtle as a nuke strike.

FackuIkari wrote:

I think in part its a symptom of the times we live in. A lot of people have become sensitized (I would argue, over-sensitized) to certain aspects of gender and sexuality, and object strenuously when they encounter something that doesn't conform to their ideal depiction of such matters. This show has clearly pushed some buttons (and I think, quite deliberately), so it is only natural that some percentage of those reactions would be intensely negative. I doubt the uproar would be nearly as prominent if this were a straight up mecha show (but then, if that were the case, it couldn't deliver on its central metaphor).

I'm with the side that wants to give it a chance. Now that we've got an idea of what its premise is, its time for them to see how they play with it.

Last edited by DeTroyes on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
redacted

Last edited by 鏡 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:31 pm; edited 7 times in total
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The anti-fanservice argument seems to be based on the idea that men can't have anime shows made for them since some people don't like it.

Modern western media goes through rigorous focus testing and marketing in order to try to appeal to everyone, leaving the end result to be as bland and inoffensive as possible. The idea an anime is aimed at one group and doesn't care about the rest is an alien concept to most people. They see a show with sexy women and fanservice and are naturally confused by it. "That's odd" they may say, "they seemed to have forgotten to show the men off for the female and/or gay audience, clearly this is a mistake, minus 50 points". When in reality the show isn't aimed at them, and they may as well crumple that grievances report into a ball and toss it into the bin for how important a complaint like that is.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Reeeally don't see how you're getting either of these from what Nick and Micchy are saying, which is largely that the show's thematic aims are muddled and undermined by both the camerawork and its limited conception of sexuality.
The idea the article promoted was that fanservice made for men is bad and that it undermines anime which aligns with what is posted on feminist blogs. That alone is something I would disagree with but the hypocrisy is that fanservice in anime is only considered a negative when it is made for men. That is why anime shows that are made for men are routinely attacked as misogynistic merely because of fanservice and it is getting worse with every passing year.

Last edited by Chrono1000 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
catstigereye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Let’s see how not to build technology needed to survive! Should be the description of this anime! Also this new format of bubble talk is bad journalism for Animenewsnetwork.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Feel like I am living in George Orwell's 1984, and the Thought Police are out to get us, from reading this review. It's nice how the PC police like bringing in new weaponized terminology, like "heteronormative", to tell us how bad the show is or we the audience. Guess that is the word of the day.

Since the reviewers hit FRANXX for not having the new age PC milestones in it, does that mean every show has to hit all the PC milestones or be Judged! Since this show is being judged for what it doesn't have or include.

The actual review portion of this column was informative and right on cue. Show isn't classy, and was made for an intended audience (which isn't allowed nowadays, least not without a lot of name calling and shaming)

Hopefully it turns out to be a constantly good show, I did like the first episode, so I will keep watching.

@DeTroyes

As to Iczer One, I loved that show. Have it on Laserdisc too! You are right it did have that. Sadly, if it premiered today, it would be ripped apart
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
The most common complain I tend to find across the fandom is: Why is Hiro not hotheaded or something like.

I mean, just look at Gurren Lagann. People used to hate Simon a lot in the first episodes due to his insecurities but they loved Kamina who was aggresive like 02. Then everybody knows what happened to Kamina and Simon changed.

I wonder what things are Trigger planning to do with Hiro to see if he can team up with 02
Wtv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Look, I get that you want representation in your anime, that's all well and dandy, but can we please stop acting like focusing on heterosexual relationships is a bad thing? You may not have intended that, but the discussion really gives off that impression. Sometimes straight people want to make a sexy show about straight relationships.

You have to agree that making a show that's suppose to be about sexuality and relationship and failing to explore other kinds of sexuality is a waste opportunity. It's like making a story about america culture and focus on New York.
Now, not that this show is even trying to do something intruiguing, and to me when they brought the To Loveru author to draw the manga, their intentions were clear. It's just a dumb mecha show with fanservice, and that's fine, I just won't waste my time with it.
ANN critics are giving it too much credit.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I wonder what things are Trigger planning to do with Hiro to see if he can team up with 02

Nothing. They are planning nothing because they're not on the production committee and don't have a say in the show's story. At all. In fact, there is a convenience store chain in Japan who have more of say in DarliFra's story than Trigger do.

I'm honestly becoming fascinated with people's complete insistence with branding Darling in the Franxx as a Trigger show. The complete list of the show's production committee can be easily found online (here is a convenient screenshot), the complete list of the staff is available and even the in-show credits indicate that Trigger have no involvement beyond the series' mecha action.

Did A-1 Pictures deploy some mass brainwashing technique in order to ensure that they're not held responsible regardless of what happens to the show, good or bad? Is Kill la Kill's mind-controlled dystopia our actual reality now? I really want to know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10