• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kakegurui — Episodes 1-12 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:52 am Reply with quote
Personally, even-though it clearly follows the "Ace transfer student shakes the status quo climbing through the ranks" formula, complete with an "elite four" and all, I think that in its structure kakegurui isn't really a gambling (sports) anime in which the viewer is supposed to be at the edge of their seat rooting for someone, instead I think it is more of a character study where the subject is not Yumeko but her opponents.

Much as the reviewer said she is more like a force of nature embodying the allure and horror of taking risks, and we don't get her POV for a reason. we are presented through her opponents with different cases of people seeking gratification, disconnecting themselves from the pain of others in the process then ultimately falling because their own self-centering blinded them from seeing they weren't the smarter in the room, and the thrill comes from experiencing their fall from grace when Yumeko pulls the rug from under them.

we could as well imagine yumeko not as her own existence but as the devil inside each of their hearts

Yes, the show isn't really all that smart, and most of its appeal comes from its aesthetics and sensationalism, but it still is highly competent at what it sets out to do and is blessed by a strong direction, whether it is frame composition or bgm timing, it succeeds at keeping the events enthralling
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
Silent_Ninja wrote:
(...)
To add a little bit to your commentary on the English voice cast: even the dub made great use of newcomer VA's like Kayli Mills who sounds adorably bratty as Runa Yomozuki and Austin Lee Matthews who makes Jun Kiwatari a character I just love to hate.

Having said my thoughts on the dub, what are my overall thoughts on the show itself? While I don't consider the show to be critically great, but I can certainly say it's very fun and entertaining to watch. Not having read the manga at all, I had zero idea that the first season's finale was an anime-original ending. I can't help but be curious as to how Studio Mappa will tackle the second season.

I know right, downright asshole characters can be obnoxious to listen at, but Lee's Jun didn't trigger that feeling in me, it was fun to watch him dig his own grave.

Regarding the "original" ending, for you guys that haven't read the manga, The only thing that really changed from the source material was the game being played in the final confrontation, probably because spoiler[the original involved someone jumping off a school building at one point, and they wouldn't want to broadcast that in Japanese tv]. the conclusion to the story was still the same as you saw in the anime (unless you count sweeping under the carpet Sayaka's character arc), it can still continue where it left off with no amendment at all.

the real problem is that it doesn't look like the current arc in the manga is gonna finish any time soon, so well have to see what they come up with
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:05 am Reply with quote
I think that there cannot be much of an overstatement of how much I am especially a fan of the OP of the show. It is so dang catchy, that especially with visuals it is just awesome, gets sort of stuck in your psyche, and I think sets the tone that this is going to be one big wild ride of crazy gambling shenanigans.
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:44 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:

Regarding the "original" ending, for you guys that haven't read the manga, The only thing that really changed from the source material was the game being played in the final confrontation, probably because spoiler[the original involved someone jumping off a school building at one point, and they wouldn't want to broadcast that in Japanese tv]. the conclusion to the story was still the same as you saw in the anime (unless you count sweeping under the carpet Sayaka's character arc), it can still continue where it left off with no amendment at all.

the real problem is that it doesn't look like the current arc in the manga is gonna finish any time soon, so well have to see what they come up with

It's... not actually because of that. Plenty of drama shows/anime in Japan are airing material that are far inappropriate than that and those got past the radar too.

The reason is simply because there's no time. The show was slated to be 13 episodes and Volumes 1-5 took up the first 12 episodes. The Sayaka arc took up the ENTIRETY of Volume 6, which means that it would have required at least 2 episodes to animate it going by the pacing. Not to mention, story-wise, it's a really weird place to end a cour of anime at. The manga was able to transition directly from Sayaka's story arc to the Council Election arc because it's a continuous format.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I think that there cannot be much of an overstatement of how much I am especially a fan of the OP of the show. It is so dang catchy, that especially with visuals it is just awesome, gets sort of stuck in your psyche, and I think sets the tone that this is going to be one big wild ride of crazy gambling shenanigans.

I know right, not to mention it narrates the events of the season effectively without reusing content from the actual episodes, and with masterful frame composition
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

I know right, not to mention it narrates the events of the season effectively without reusing content from the actual episodes, and with masterful frame composition

You have Sayo Yamamoto to thank for that. She's directed and storyboarded a lot of great OPs and EDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2