• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alita: Battle Angel Film Pushed Back to December 21

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
UnifiedDivyde wrote:
CatSword wrote:
5 months to try to find a way to fix those goddamn eyes. Laughing

But they don't need "fixing"...

You be surprised how many people are disturbed by those large eyes. That's not a good thing as it distracts people. They just need to shrink them by a tad, but can still have them larger than normal eyes.

And I have to agree that it airing the same week as Bumblebee and Aquaman might not do it justice. Movies like Alita tend to do poorly with the North American audience since it's not familiar and tends to be more preachy. While Bumblebee and Aquaman are known and action-oriented, so I would honestly be surprised if Alita surpasses $100 mil in the NA Box Office.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
DEAD.

This film is DEAD. It’ll be lucky to get over $50 mil domestic.
0nsen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote
It would be better off canceled.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Change the title to Creepy Angel Alita. I would probably be interested in seeing this movie, except for those eyes.

Those... eyes...

"Those... Eyebrows."

"What about... the Eyebrows?"
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

Many of you still don't understand the numbers game being run here.
You have almost a better chance of striking it big in Las Vegas playing craps than a HIGH-budget motion picture actually seeing a profit!
Part of why the sale of 20th Century Fox to Disney was concluded so quickly was because NewsCorp HATED the unpredictability of the motion picture business and didn't want to deal with that risk anymore!!!

The Hollywood Studios still make a HIGHER PERCENTAGE from US exhibitions than they do overseas. They get AT LEAST half (50%) of the movie generated in ticket sales from US exhibition.

They don't always get half the box-office money elsewhere.

In fact, I'd bet they're lucky if they see 40% of the money earned from most exhibitions outside the States. By territory, the percentage earned is LESS but remember they have to pay the exhibitors/theater chains and they DON'T all belong to the same company, either!

In China, for instance, the market Hollywood THOUGHT was going to save the movie industry from its addition to high-budget, they get MAYBE 25% of the ticket receipts -- that's if they're not being cheated!
Accounting practices have always been a problem with the entertainment industry (people learn very quickly what the difference between Gross and Net Profit is!) but they're naive if they think exhibitors overseas don't play that little accounting/shell game as good or better than they do.

There are crooks everywhere in every color.

The Disney/Fox hasn't concluded. It hasn't even been approved yet. Come back in 2019 or 2020 if it actually is if governments don't block it (it needs approval from the world not just USA) and If Comcast doesn't offer a better deal in the mean time.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
DEAD.

This film is DEAD. It’ll be lucky to get over $50 mil domestic.

That's true of any film only 54 out or 725 films (165 wide releases) released in 2017 made over $50 million.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Just last year, one of the reasons Justice League underperformed as badly as it did was because Thor: Ragnarok came out just two weeks prior. Both were superhero movies with similar, if not identical, target audiences.

"One of the reasons", perhaps but I think the primary reason that Thor: Ragnarok did better was that it was a lot of fun to watch while Justice League was, to be polite, tonally inconsistent due to extensive reshoots from a different director with a different vision.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle with its incredible box office "legs" despite being released only a week after Star Wars: The Last Jedi is evidence that a movie can be released concurrently with a film from a much bigger franchise and still do well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Her face is freakin terrifying. Uncanny valley to the extreme. What were they thinking?? Laughing
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
dannphou wrote:
This will probably bomb because of Aquaman and Bumblebee in the same week.

Yes, those movies will so blacken the whole month, NOBODY'S going to emerge unscathed.
With the new Hollywood block-scheduling crowding certain key weekends instead of key months, now, when it stinks, it pours.

UnifiedDivyde wrote:
CatSword wrote:

But they don't need "fixing"...

They make me laugh... Shocked
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
CatSword wrote:

They should also give her proper "octopus lips" while they're at it!

(Realistically, I think they'll leave her with the big eyes and normal lips, but it's nice to dream Smile)

A man of culture, indeed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2