• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vice & Luna - Grindhouse Prestige

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uguu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
TandooriJones wrote:

Yeah this is kind of insulting, not to mention ignorant.
I'm shocked there's no dig at Apocalypse Zero or Birth here as long as they were badmouthing things undeservedly. Those shows fall into the same category of "We didn't watch it but we hear it's bad" like Mad Bull 34.

What? I love all of that stuff. All of it. Calling Devilman "shlock" isn't an insult, it's the truth - it also happens to be high art that I think belongs in any museum in the world. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive at all. I feel the same way about most of this stuff. You mentioned Birth - that one especially.

I just did a podcast where I spoke with the folks handling the marketing for the original Devilman manga and suggested they court the fashion world and high art crowd with it, doing high-end gallery exhibitions and merchandise. This is where I think Devilman places culturally. I also think it's shlock.

Appreciation of this stuff as art does not have to be accompanied by limitless superlatives.

I just appreciate this stuff in a way differently than you do. I've been in love with anime for 23 years and that entire time I've had guys like you telling me I hate it because I don't just heap praise on it, and I'm kinda done with that.

All these words and I still don't get why 'schlock' is a worthy descriptor for something you consider to be "high art". I love Mad Bull 34 and think it's unironically fantastic but it's so universally considered objectively bad by western anime critics I couldn't help but wonder why it was listed next to Devilman. Then there's the poop-eating nurse anime.

The term 'schlock' seems to only be applied to a specific kind of anime. I never see anyone call Berserk "schlock" despite being full of rape and over the top gore.

I don't regularly listen to your podcast but I do remember in the Crybaby one you said you hadn't read the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2