• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Oops! All Quick Answers!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiflan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Why would kids be watching uncut, subtitled box sets, though? Especially if it has the word "uncut" in big letters on it and not put in the kids section.

It has nothing to do with kids watching it. It has to do with an overbearing and easily offended adult seeing it and then going on the warpath. The fact that the box might say "uncut" or even carry a not-for-kids rating or warning isn't relevant either. Pearl-clutchers are not logical. Simply the combination of something offensive in what they perceive as a "cartoon" is enough. And these days all it takes is a single misunderstanding for something to go viral.

As for how that could happen? Easy. Someone walks into a room while another person has the show playing. Or, someone is stuck entertaining the kids and gets an idea--"we'll borrow Family_Member's DVDs to show the kids. That anime stuff is just cartoons, right?"
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
OjaruFan wrote:
Quote:
There is very little benefit to making the original version available, which would only satisfy a handful of otaku but runs a real risk of making a handful of pearl-clutching parents VERY LOUDLY upset.

Fair enough, but can't the "pearl-clutching parents" just simply make their kids switch back to the edited dub if they (the parents) don't like the content in the original version?

They aren't necessarily clutching their pearls because their kids are watching...

Many times the mere existence of such a thing is sufficient. Not in the least because only the hardest core of the pearl clutchers keep their kids in a dungeon and absolutely control every second of every second of their life. Or to put it another way, they may be misguided, but they aren't stupid. They know if it's out there, kids will find it and a way to watch it.

exactly which is why there is zero point to it. also those same kids fanbase are NOT WATCHING the series on Disney which is FARE MORE STRICTER than cartoon network's standard & practices. instead their watching the series online via fansubs right alongside yugioh.

so that risk of making parents peeved is pretty much invalid if you ask me. it definitely would IF we were still in the late 90's/early 2000's. but in this day of the internet, NOT A CHANCE. for one thing when hulu released actually and official uncut Japanese sub version of some yuigioh series, including 5D's , there definitely weren't an upheaval by those pearl-clutching parents. so the odds of them doing the same thing for any uncut japanese versions of pokemon is very very low.

Quote:
That might impact sales, and even the smallest impact on sales for a brand like Pokémon typically means a loss in the millions of dollars -- far more than streaming a subtitled version could ever hope to bring in.

I mean, never say never, but I certainly don't see it happening anytime soon. And if I were running Pokémon Company, I certainly wouldn't seem like sound business to me.

and unfortunately that claim is also not plausible anymore since their already losing money.

sure it doesn't impact the video gaming route which is the franchise's main cash cow, but for the anime on the other hand is another story. for its as i said, due to the massive restrictions that PUSA and nintendo have put on the anime series, those same demograph are not watching the show on TV. they may be kids , but their NOT fools. especially in this internet age.

instead their either watching it on illegal streaming sites like KISS ANIME , or watching the shows on fansub websites.

its probably the reason why cartoon network have more or less given up on keeping the broadcast rights for the franchise since they know all too well that its a lost cause.

the only thing that's keeping the US side afloat for now is both its name and the massive effort PUSA & nintendo have done with their million dollar lawyers to keep those fansub versions from the internet for too long and they come even harder when someone of the eastern regions try to release the animax asia sub versions online. but until they take that leap of faith and release an unedited versions for the western regions, the anime is going to keep losing more tv viewers and will be either dropping the series as a whole or watch the series via fansub sites and there will be nothing PUSA or nintendo can do no matter how much million dollar lawyers they throw at those fansub groups , or how much MPAA cease & desist lawsuit letters they send.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HikariGo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
The Pokemon Company made record profits last year, definitely not losing money.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Regarding live action, I find the Japanese just as unrealistic as anime. In fact, live action drama is rather similar to a drama genre in anime likewise with period live action compared to anime. I mean the live action GTO TV show is no better at being more realistic than the anime. IMO the only medium that gives a good representation of normal everyday mundane speech is simple real people footage--news interviews, youtube people-on-the-street interviews, documentaries. I'd say exactly the same for English--dramas (e.g. prime time drams and especially soap operas) do not represent realistic everyday speech either.

However, even if non-fiction live footage is a good representation of the majority of the way people speak, that is not a complete representation either, with the minority to be found in fiction ironically. Unless you get live honne footage rather than the usual tatemae.

And I'll bet that's a reflection of the traditional Japanese plays, where people spoke in an exaggerated, stylized manner so that viewers in the back can understand what's going on. I mean, it happened in western culture too, but for some reason, acting methods changed to be quieter and more realistic (though not completely, of course), whereas something different happened in Japan (and much of the rest of east Asian live action).

OjaruFan wrote:
Fair enough, but can't the "pearl-clutching parents" just simply make their kids switch back to the edited dub if they (the parents) don't like the content in the original version?

Well, parents can't watch their kids 24/7. Not even the helicopter parents.

Whenever you think something has a simple solution that could've been done for a long time, it rarely is that simple. If you want to propose a solution with the word "just" in it somewhere, you have to think twice.

CatSword wrote:
How many kids/parents would be purchasing uncut box sets rather than the cheaper releases marketed at their age group?

As for streaming, 4kids streamed Sonic X uncut for years while the show was also running on Saturday mornings and I don't recall any complaints.

Unless there's a case I didn't know about, every instance of 4Kids releasing an uncut version of their shows has sold poorly. There just isn't enough demand for it to be sustainable. (Then again, they didn't market it very well either.)
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Quote:
There is very little benefit to making the original version available, which would only satisfy a handful of otaku but runs a real risk of making a handful of pearl-clutching parents VERY LOUDLY upset.

How many kids/parents would be purchasing uncut box sets rather than the cheaper releases marketed at their age group?

As for streaming, 4kids streamed Sonic X uncut for years while the show was also running on Saturday mornings and I don't recall any complaints.

Yeah but that's Sonic X. You're talking about Pokemon. Pokemon. Sonic's a fairly large brand but that's faded over recent years. Pokemon is a juggernaut that will never die with a constant influx of new fans and/or customers. And maybe Justin's overexaggerating about potential pearl-clutchers, but from a purely business standpoint, there really is no reason to spend money to release a special version of your show to a niche market (half of whom will just pirate it, let's be real) when they can just stay the course and keep rakin' in the big bucks.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Regarding live action, I find the Japanese just as unrealistic as anime. In fact, live action drama is rather similar to a drama genre in anime likewise with period live action compared to anime. I mean the live action GTO TV show is no better at being more realistic than the anime. IMO the only medium that gives a good representation of normal everyday mundane speech is simple real people footage--news interviews, youtube people-on-the-street interviews, documentaries. I'd say exactly the same for English--dramas (e.g. prime time drams and especially soap operas) do not represent realistic everyday speech either.

Interestingly when I read Frederick Schodt's books on manga he said that manga tends to be a great tool for learning Japanese and that the Japanese spoken on manga tends to be closer to actual spoken Japanese than on novels since it is less formal. And of course, the majority of anime is adapted from manga as well as a large fraction of Japanese live action movies and dramas. Hence both inherit the Japanese style of manga.

I guess that Justin has a very biased understanding of Japanese culture if he thinks that Japanese live action film is something that is completely separate from their manga and animation.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
And I'll bet that's a reflection of the traditional Japanese plays, where people spoke in an exaggerated, stylized manner so that viewers in the back can understand what's going on. I mean, it happened in western culture too, but for some reason, acting methods changed to be quieter and more realistic (though not completely, of course), whereas something different happened in Japan (and much of the rest of east Asian live action).

Actually that's the product of very different philosophies and their relationship with art and reality. In Western philosophy reality is "king" so fiction has to try to adhere strictly to it, hence acting should look "realistic". In the Eastern Asian mentality that conception doesn't hold hence they are able to produce fiction that is far more divorced from a notion of adherence to physical reality than in the West.

Which explains why animation and comics, which are naturally suited for non-realistic fiction, got so big in East Asia while they are marginalized mediums in the Western world. This same mentality explains why anime can be so tremendously unrealistic: stuff like Bakuon for instance about little highschool girls driving huge motorcycles aimed at an adult male audience is something that directly violates basic elements of western mentality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
What about doing what Disney, another company protective of their brand, did with their classic material, for Pokémon? Release specially packaged collector's editions, with a respectable personality (Disney used Leonard Maltin) giving commentary and wholly unnecessary (but legally defendable) "perspective" on the show. Put 13 episodes on a set, One Piece style; Release several sets over a few years; And if it's felt that interest needs to be gauged, make the first/each set only available by pre-order.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
What about doing what Disney, another company protective of their brand, did with their classic material, for Pokémon? Release specially packaged collector's editions, with a respectable personality (Disney used Leonard Maltin) giving commentary and wholly unnecessary (but legally defendable) "perspective" on the show. Put 13 episodes on a set, One Piece style; Release several sets over a few years; And if it's felt that interest needs to be gauged, make the first/each set only available by pre-order.

Like Shigeru Miyamoto?
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I want the original uncut version of Pokemon no matter what it takes. Would fans putting together an online petition for The Pokemon Company to see make much of a difference? I really wish it did.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
Honestly, on the Pokémon thing, the dub these days is actually extremely faithful, dialogue-wise. They only really change Team Rocket's lines... in a way that, from where I'm standing, just makes things harder for other translations because of the abundance of puns. Really, the only significant change the dub makes aside from names and TR dialogue is changing the music... and I seriously doubt that has anything to do with making the show more "accessible" to international audiences

It was also localized effectively--James was given a more parent-acceptable "Preppy wimp" voice instead of his own ambiguously-gay bishy trope, and Meowth was turned into a wisecracker instead of a cool philosopher.
But otherwise yes, apart from the puns (this was an early stage in anime dubbing's evolution, when the idea of localizing the nuances of Japanese comedy was considered impossible), an uncut dub wouldn't bring as much to the table as Viz's Sailor Moon dub that "avenged" the 90's DiC version. There just wasn't as much to "avenge" here.

...Basically, admit it, either you're a diehard gamer caught up in abstract causes, or you just want to see the bikini-contest and Polygon episodes, right? Razz
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:07 am Reply with quote
I never had faith in Pocket Monsters getting JP audio outside of Japan. It is a kids series so there's no point in stressing over it. Now Yu-Gi-Oh! on the other hand, from the great mind of Kazuki Takahashi, isn't. Yu-Gi-Oh! gets streamed with subtitles and they goof because they want to cater to western folk by keeping the TCG names. They don't even give the people who want the original names the option to change the subtitles like they did with the Gyakuten Saiban anime. You had one job. Imo, no point in watching that. Cool

Also, I feel sorry for anyone who had to watch PM XY series in English. JP version was so epic that if you compared the episodes it just isn't the same show aside from the visuals.
_Dog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:23 am Reply with quote
If the staff of the Pokémon anime had any business sense, we would have seen Ash win the Kalos League and not see him end up as a jobber schoolboy.

The anime is now at sunk cost status, with no vision or soul in it. Stupidity is what runs the Pokémon anime. I really hate it with a passion.
Riza-han

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you pick up Japanese from period pieces, you'll end up talking like a samurai. If you watch too many gangster movies you'll talk like a yakuza. But obviously none of these make a up a complete language study diet either. You'll only get the words that make up the drama that takes place, and few of the mundane things that make up the bulk of everyday speech. Depending on what you're watching, you might also end up sounding like a bad actor.

But if you watch enough anime you can discern each of those different types of speech and more. Like Osaka-ben.

Honestly, a real language study is completely unnecessary and most likely counter-intuitive, since none of them are good at teaching you the actual language, which only takes something like six months if you do it right. For example, I learned English exclusively through watching Japanese language anime with English subtitles (and participating on forums etc.). Never formally studied the language. I learned Japanese the same way. Never got into kanji, though, since it's not all that relevant for my purposes.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:17 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:

That sounds workable in the sense that I doubt anyone could find it offensive. But I don't think that it will get done simply because there isn't much profit to be had in it. I imagine the number of fans who want an uncut release like that is minuscule and they don't expect sales to be anywhere near high enough to offset the cost of production. Sure, Pokemon is a major title, but only a very small percentage of fans would go out of their way to buy something like this given how many alternatives exist for watching Pokemon anime. Remember that the Pokemon anime's real purpose is advertising. Merch is where the real money is; the anime is basically just a big commercial for the games and merch.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
That sounds workable in the sense that I doubt anyone could find it offensive. But I don't think that it will get done simply because there isn't much profit to be had in it. I imagine the number of fans who want an uncut release like that is minuscule and they don't expect sales to be anywhere near high enough to offset the cost of production. Sure, Pokemon is a major title, but only a very small percentage of fans would go out of their way to buy something like this given how many alternatives exist for watching Pokemon anime. Remember that the Pokemon anime's real purpose is advertising. Merch is where the real money is; the anime is basically just a big commercial for the games and merch.

While that is the true purpose of the Pokémon anime, in the west, the anime came before the video games or anything else, which meant that not only did a lot of people get started with the anime first, but there are still lots of people who think that the video games were an adaptation of the anime, rather than the other way around. As a result, the Pokémon anime largely became its own thing in the west, with many people who watch the anime having nothing to do with the rest of Pokémon.

That being said, I do agree that the sales to be had from such a release would be minuscule, between most western fans having grown up with the 4Kids dub and the anime having faded from popularity long since due to changing trends in US television (though I don't know how it is for the west outside of the US).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4