• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is It Such A Big Deal When Anime Characters Cut Their Hair?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
or a girl disguising herself has a boy.

I have to admit...this scene is amazing and awesome and badass every time I f*n see it. Anime hyper
Aerielle

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I've always hated this trope, for both guys and girls. I also can't stand watching someone get their head shaved... even if they want to do it, it upsets me. -_-;;;
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I can relate to the long hair conundrum because mine is pretty damn long and I've worn it that way for years. It's part of my persona, I've been asked if I'd get it cut during job interviews and have always said no. It's not what's on your head that counts-it's what's inside that does. It was a big deal in the 60's and 70's about hair length for guys and it shouldn't be. Everybody should be free to wear their hair however they want without social or moral implications.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Worst trope ever. Long live long hair

Preach it, brother. Monogatari is just painful to watch, it happens so often.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
or a girl disguising herself has a boy.

I have to admit...this scene is amazing and awesome and badass every time I f*n see it. Anime hyper
LOL that was the exact scene that I was thinking of
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
It's part of my persona.... It's not what's on your head that counts-it's what's inside that does.

If you truly believed the latter, then cutting it wouldn't be an issue for you. Just sayin'. Hair can definitely be an outward expression of what's inside. I like long hair, and can understand not wanting to cut it.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I think it's funny that cutting the hair is like this big OMG wtf ?!?!? moment... but the fact that someone has like 20 ft long pink hair that defies gravity to begin with is like a zero factor. Even odder if it's one of those shows where someone dies their hear blond and it's like omg crazy teen rebellion they're on a dark evil path of delinquency. Even odder if people in the show have like blue, green, pink, etc hair so you'd think dying hair would be a total non issue in this world.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I think it's funny that cutting the hair is like this big OMG wtf ?!?!? moment... but the fact that someone has like 20 ft long pink hair that defies gravity to begin with is like a zero factor. Even odder if it's one of those shows where someone dies their hear blond and it's like omg crazy teen rebellion they're on a dark evil path of delinquency. Even odder if people in the show have like blue, green, pink, etc hair so you'd think dying hair would be a total non issue in this world.

You bring up a really good Answerman future question here:

why is dying hair blond such a sin in Japanese media?

This has always puzzled me; Dengeki Daisy's manga even goes as far as to call its hero "worthless uneducated trash to society" because he bleaches his hair and I'm sitting here going "WTF?" o____O that's a LITTLE extreme, isn't it!?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
My understanding it that hair dyed blond is the style badge of a yankee/yanki, aka a juvenile delinquent or gang member type (but not yakuza, I think).
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Regarding all the hate people have for this trope: I like long hair as much as the next man (and have pretty lengthy locks myself), but short hair has its own charm and is a better fit for some characters.
Quote:
that top-knot was originally there to support a helmet

After all these years, I'm just now learning this.
Gina Szanboti wrote:
My understanding it that hair dyed blond is the style badge of a yankee/yanki, aka a juvenile delinquent or gang member type (but not yakuza, I think).

Less common in yakuza, but not unheard of. At least where anime and manga is concerned, anyway.
stowrag

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I thought the trope was also you get a haircut when a relationship ends/you're dumped. (Especially for girls)
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
... Even odder if it's one of those shows where someone dies their hear blond and it's like omg crazy teen rebellion they're on a dark evil path of delinquency. Even odder if people in the show have like blue, green, pink, etc hair so you'd think dying hair would be a total non issue in this world.

In The Twelve Kingdoms, Youko gets berated by her mother for *not* dying her hair (which is naturally red) and takes *that* as a form of rebellion.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Worst trope ever. Long live long hair

Yes!

Also, the end of K: Return of Kings where spoiler[Shiro returns to his original body and cuts his knee-length hair to the shoulder-length it was in the flashbacks. I get that he's supposed to be a normal high school teacher now, and it symbolizes his becoming connected to real life, but like... no. His hair was beautiful. ]
At least Kuroh's hair is safe...
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Long hair also isn´t hard to take care off, like at all. Mine is about 70 cm long. I need about 5 minutes with a hair dryer if i get it wet to get it all back in shape. Hardy a time investment and combing take 2 minutes at the most. That´s about the time most short haired men take to apply gel and such crap.

That is only if you have straight hair, it takes me at least 10 minutes to detangle my curly waist-length hair in the shower and 3 hours to air dry because blow drying just makes it frizzy and I'm not a fan of heavy gels and sprays. Even if I wanted to cut it I can't because it makes me look like a prepubescent squire boy Laughing

I remember the first time I saw Tangled I absolutely hated her short hair, but it's really grown on me since then.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
Long hair also isn´t hard to take care off, like at all. Mine is about 70 cm long. I need about 5 minutes with a hair dryer if i get it wet to get it all back in shape. Hardy a time investment and combing take 2 minutes at the most. That´s about the time most short haired men take to apply gel and such crap.
That is only if you have straight hair, it takes me at least 10 minutes to detangle my curly waist-length hair in the shower and 3 hours to air dry

Nah, they're just out at the end of the bell curve, but don't grasp that. (Or full of crap.) My hair is straight, and when it was shoulder length it took half an hour with the blow dryer or three-four hours to air dry even on a hot summer's day. It did only take me two minutes to style, but that's because I just gathered it all back into a ponytail.

Nowadays, I keep it short... Not near as short as I did in the Navy, but short enough that all I have to do is brush it back and go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4