• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Discotek's Lupin III: The Legend of the Gold of Babylon Release Will Have New English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:48 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ugh. Most of the Jigen's Gravestone English dub cast sounded like they didn't give a single damn about their performances. Christina Vee and Taylor Henry were doing all the work. To even compare them to the Part II/Part IV cast is baffling.
Oh I also forgot Jamieson Price, he was probably the best cast member in that. Honestly aside from Michelle Ruff, I actually prefer the Funimation cast. Which is saying something as I usually prefer LA dubs.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:12 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Honestly aside from Michelle Ruff, I actually prefer the Funimation cast.

That is not a perspective I can understand. I suppose their dub of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine was unpainful, though.

That’s the best I can do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
CosmicCortex wrote:
I'm just glad that this means they're keeping the Part IV cast moving forward, because I quite enjoyed the Part IV dub and it's about time we get a consistent cast.

The Lupin III Pt 4 cast IS the Pioneer/Geneon Lupin III cast (with the exception of Zenigata who was recast I think)!

They started voicing these characters at least 15 years ago! Most of the Pioneer cast returned in Lupin III/Pt 4.

I think only the classic Japanese cast has voiced the Lupin characters longer. The "classic Japanese" cast has all retired or died within the last 10 years. Some of the classic cast voiced their characters for over 30 years literally only being "retired" after they died in real life.

this cast also dubbed a couple of movies and specials that Geneon brought back in the day
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
So with this, all the older Lupin films (and all of them in general, aside from vs. Conan, a crossover that doesn't really count, and Blood Spray of Goemon which is sure to follow at some point) have been dubbed, which is sweet.

Always liked Part III in both it's early on-model and the more famous loose cartoonish style from the second half, along with it's distinctly loud 80s aesthetic. To see any part of it voiced by the best English cast, that already leans into the comedy of Lupin, is like a dream come true. I'm on this 100%.

GeorgeC wrote:
I think only the classic Japanese cast has voiced the Lupin characters longer. The "classic Japanese" cast has all retired or died within the last 10 years. Some of the classic cast voiced their characters for over 30 years literally only being "retired" after they died in real life.

Kiyoshi Kobayashi is the last one sticking it out as Jigen for all these years since Part I (or even before-- he voiced him in the late 60's pilot!) and doing good in Part 5.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I know this is the regular cast, at least for the LA dub, but I honestly would of liked to have seen a return from the Jigen Gravestone cast. I know they will likely return if they dub Goemon's Bloodspray. I preferred Keith Silverstein over Tony Oliver, Tony sounds to high pitched to me, and as much as I like Richard Epcar, even as Jigen, Dan Worens deeper voice suited him better, at lease for a less comedic entry.

I wouldn't mind this, keep them around as the "Koike Lupin cast", also not to knock on Michelle Ruff but I liked Cristina Vee's Fujiko in Jigen's Gravestone.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Honestly aside from Michelle Ruff, I actually prefer the Funimation cast. Which is saying something as I usually prefer LA dubs.

I didn't mind the Fujiko dub too much (probably had more to do with Michelle than the rest of them) but FUNi's dubs of the movies & specials they had before were terrible and like first Dragon Ball, don't hold up well at all. Also didn't like how they handled most of Fujiko's video release either.
moff

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
They started voicing these characters at least 15 years ago! Most of the Pioneer cast returned in Lupin III/Pt 4.

I think only the classic Japanese cast has voiced the Lupin characters longer.

No, there's also the italian cast:

Roberto Del Giudice as Lupin, 1979-2007
Sandro Pellegrini as Jigen, 1979-2013
Alessandra Korompay as Fujiko, 1986-now

1979 was when Lupin first arrived in Italy, with Pt 1 airing on TV, and The Mystery of Mamo being shown in theaters.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
Well,
yeah, there's Italy.

I've noticed Monkey Punch seems to be more popular in Italy than the US. They had Lupin III in France but because of the situation with the estate of the author who created the ORIGINAL Lupin III, the anime character couldn't be called Lupin until the original French character went into public domain a few years back!

Just this past year, the US just got Cinderella Boy (2004) which Italy got shortly after the Japanese release 14 years ago.
(FYI, the Cinderella Boy DVDs scale up fine on 1080p sets. The series itself basically looks like Lupin since the same character designs are basically reused for Cinderella Boy. That's typical -- Go Nagai, the guy who created Cyborg 009, and Tezuka were infamous for reusing character designs across their different series.)
Lupin III has been covered better in Europe, too. They have specials on Blu ray in Italy (the Conan/Lupin III crossovers) the US market didn't get on Blu ray because Discotek didn't go for the Blu ray releases which is puzzling.

Now, on the other hand, when you hear some things were upscaled and Discotek HASN'T bothered with upscaled Blu rays because they're no better or WORSE than SD remasters then the decision NOT to get the Blu ray makes sense.

Just to clarify, I'm aware of the fact there have been 3-4 different English dub casts for Lupin III but the Pioneer/Geneon era cast which included Tony Oliver, Michelle Ruff, and Richard Epcar seems to be the most popular and enduring one in the the North American Lupin III releases.

Funimation had different people (1 or 2 I've seen at local cons) for the features and specials it licensed, AnimEigo had its own dub cast on the Fuma Conspiracy feature, and, of course, Streamline and Manga Video had different casts for their separate dubs of Castle of Cagliostro so a TON of people have played the Lupin III characters including some people who went on to do voiceover in the US animation industry. Bob Bergen, one of the guys who's voiced Porky Pig since Mel Blanc died, was the voice of Lupin (called Wolf due to the legal issues with the French author created the original Lupin character, "Lupin I") in Streamline's dub of Cagliostro (which is on the Discotek release along with the Manga Video dub). This doesn't even take into account the Lupin III features/specials which had upwards of FOUR different dubs! I think Secret of Mamo has been dubbed for four separate British AND American groups!

<Sigh> I'll be happy when The Fuma Conspiracy get re-licensed and eventually re-released on Blu ray. I'm glad I got both DVD editions before they went out of print! It's one of the better Lupin III films...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
CosmicCortex wrote:
I'm just glad that this means they're keeping the Part IV cast moving forward, because I quite enjoyed the Part IV dub and it's about time we get a consistent cast.

Yup, they just gained a sale from me on this movie due to the cast coming back.

GeorgeC wrote:
Just this past year, the US just got Cinderella Boy (2004) which Italy got shortly after the Japanese release 14 years ago.
(FYI, the Cinderella Boy DVDs scale up fine on 1080p sets. The series itself basically looks like Lupin since the same character designs are basically reused for Cinderella Boy. That's typical -- Go Nagai, the guy who created Cyborg 009, and Tezuka were infamous for reusing character designs across their different series.)

Yeah, picked this up. A shame it was too old and relatively small of a thing to finally get a dub as I would have enjoyed it getting one.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll go the route of the 2003 dub and add in lots of contemporary pop culture references.

Jigen: "How did Zenigata find our location?"
Lupin: "He has an app for that!"
Zenigata: "Even if I have to chase you Back To The Future, you will not escape!"
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:59 am Reply with quote
Nice to see that Discotek Mefia has not only licensed this special but is now giving it an English dub. Hopefully they will license the other specials and give them an English dub, I especially would love if they would license and dub Lupin the 3rd - Sweet Lost Night despite it being the most average and forgettable of the Lupin the 3rd specials.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Well, to be fair, I'm split on the animation myself.
I think the character designs are TERRIBLE but the animation itself is actually pretty good.

So you’re not split on the animation at all. You just don’t like the character designs, lol. Which is kind of odd imo. If you were referring to the designs in the latter half of part 3 I’d maybe understand, but as far as Lupin goes the designs in this film are pretty standard and more reminiscent of their designs in most part 2 episodes I’d say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2