• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Eureka Seven: Hi - Evolution Film's Teaser Reveals Title, New Story Set in Tokyo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I give up. I feel like E7 is just cursed. The original series is SO GOOD, but everything after has been garbage. I don't understand it. I haven't seen the first movie of this reboot, but I didn't hear great things ...

Yeah, it's astounding just how many missteps have been made with this property. The original TV series is one of my all-time favorites, something I'd go so far as to call a modern masterpiece: it's full of action and heart and has one of the best-realized love stories in anime. "Morning Glory" might just be my single-favorite anime episode of all time. But then you look at what came after. There was that terrible movie full of repurposed footage that apparently crapped on most of the characters; I received dire warnings from a friend of mine who also loved the series to stay far, far away from it. Then you have AO, a series that by all accounts was only tangentially related to the original, took some very bizarre turns, and then wound up being utterly inconsequential in the end. And then you have these new movies: the first one being some great backstory coupled with an utter mess of editing and unnecessary changes, and the second being...whatever the hell this is. I was actually vaguely hopeful for these films, since Dai Sato was going to be involved again, and it seemed like he was the one who made the original series what it was. So much for that, I guess.

(Oh, and just to throw something else on the pile, apparently there was this unused alternate possible ending for the TV series that got turned into a little special called New Order. Thank God they changed their minds.)
tootbrush

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:29 am Reply with quote
Kyouda needs to move on and do something completely new instead of taking a dump on E7 every couple of years. It's increasingly obvious he doesn't get what made E7 good. Convoluted stories with none of E7's feel-good themes (movie, AO) and additional backstory I never asked for plus avant-garde editing (Hi-Evo) aren't it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I give up. I feel like E7 is just cursed. The original series is SO GOOD, but everything after has been garbage. I don't understand it. I haven't seen the first movie of this reboot, but I didn't hear great things ...

I'm still looking forward to seeing if the second one is smoother and seeing this one for real when the blu-ray comes out, but I agree it's really bizarre. Like tootbrush said too, the original was so good and yet for some reason none of the following additions have truly aimed for the same uplifting themes that were the backbone of the original series even with all the dark elements. Even going beyond the actual romance there's all the detailed character development, character interaction, and (gradually built) satisfying comradery that also made it special.

For example in AO for some reason they unnecessarily even went so far as to undermine the original's major theme of coexistence.
Major spoiler
spoiler[with the reveal about the fate of Ao's sister and what caused it and the Scub's role basically going backwards and also Renton's plan at the end.].

Off-topic, I still don't know how a character could be written as badly or haphazardly as Naru was. spoiler[Even before the time manipulation aspect really takes over later in the show it's like her character and role was re-written on the fly during the show's development like 5 times even just within the first half of the show, and then there's that scene with the "ears" where they try to abruptly retcon her back to her original friendly character, and this is even all before her character very briefly gets literally re-written in-show toward the end before the timeline is fixed.]
Hell, even the openings couldn't decide lol. spoiler[In the first one they show her going with Ao to Gen Blue, which is the opposite of what happens since she doesn't go and instead even becomes a kind of antagonist for most of the show passively siding with the "villain" for no reason (did the show's runtime get cut in half or something that caused such a massive change? lol), and then there's the second opening later in the show, by which they should know what they are going to do, and even this one shows things like several battle scenes in a city and nothing like that happens either, in fact they mostly have made a cease fire with the Secrets by the last third.]

Another interesting thing is that I agree with some of the reviews that the opening set of episodes were actually pretty strong and it's not like there weren't some interesting episodes scattered around, along with some great animation and music. So it was kind of interesting week to week despite the lack of real E7 feel and disappointments. One thing that I thought was weird though is that it seemed like at least the character thing could have at least been improved by the writers had there been better growth of the main trio as a team during the monster-of-the-week battles along with maybe not requiring all of those battles to have to end within the ep they'd started in in order to give them more time for that and more meat. Interestingly this same character development time usage issue actually kind of reoccurred with the exact same problem with a totally different staff during their next show, Captain Earth, as well.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I think they could have done it with some non-chronological parts (like just one in medias res and a couple flashbacks to cover the material from before the set of episodes that make up the bulk of that part of the movie), they just went way overboard with it to the point that it harmed the flow of that part of the movie and didn't really seem to have any rhyme or reason to it, at least in my opinion.

Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me from reading about it and watching some of it unsubbed on the blu-ray.

Top Gun wrote:
(Oh, and just to throw something else on the pile, apparently there was this unused alternate possible ending for the TV series that got turned into a little special called New Order. Thank God they changed their minds.)

Exactly, thank goodness went with the happy ending.

And I wonder if this here is one of their problems. Instead of embracing their "feel-good" choice they keep trying to go this other route with most of what has followed the original series, except perhaps now with Hi-Evolution since for the most part it seems the first movie still followed the original story even with its jumpy way of telling it and some supposed changes.

Almost like they don't understand why the "good ending" choice fit the series so perfectly for this cast of characters and why the fans loved it and embraced it so much in this particular case even though many often prefer more bitter sweet, more realistic endings.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
WHAT IS THIS SHIT.

First they make those terrible spinoff movies, then they made that terrible pseudo-sequel, and now they're making another weird spinoff?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2