• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Grand Order Smartphone Game Gets Both TV Anime, Anime Film Projects

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:50 am Reply with quote
Kudos to anime adaptations for Grand Order, but when is ANN gonna learn that posting region-locked videos is pointless for those who don't reside in said region? So stupid.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
SpaceTheGamer wrote:
Only Camelot and Babylonia? Man couldn't they at least make one for E Pluribus Unum!? I loved that one....oh well at least we'll getting more Fate so that's always a plus.

I would love to see the fight between spoiler[Scáthach and Cú Alter, even though it’d be difficult to see my waifu getting skewered.]

But Camelot has been my favorite so far, so I’m happy.

Yeah same that fight would have been great and also spoiler[ the Karna vs Arjuna] would have been EPIC to see, honestly that Singularity has most of my favourite Servants so maybe I am a little biased towards it xD
Camelot is good so far for me (I still haven't finished it yet x.x) but E Pluribus Unum just felt special to me
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:14 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Well all hype for Babylon is dead.

An A-1 Pictures subsidiary studio is working on it, the same studio that did Darling in the Franxx & the Persona 5 anime.

This isn't how anime production works. Darling in the Franxx has some staff crossover with this project, but entirely on the animation side, nowhere on the writing team. And there's no staff crossover with persona 5. Furthermore, the staff that has been listed as involved on this project is incredibly talented - the original Idolmaster anime is a well animated and energetic comedy.

Furthermore, A-1 is also the same studio that did Birdy the Mighty Decode. LIkewise, Production IG is the same studio responsible for Guilty Crown and Psycho Pass Season 2, shows that are not very well regarded. I feel as if hating A-1 has just become some kind of meme, without any critical thought applied to it. Anime is produced by staff, not a singular entity with the same name as the studio, and things such as the talent of the staff, the timeframe they are given, the material they have to work with, the constraints they have to work with it within, and so on all influence the quality of an anime much more than a corporate label. And while A-1 has a few missteps in that regard, so does nearly every studio.

A-1 has a consistent track record of providing high quality animation, especially for TV anime, and they are specifically promoting that the staff with a history of doing so will be working on Babylonia.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
When an anime has bad writing, fans are often quick to pin the blame on the animation studio, which I feel is really unfair to the studio when it's really the writers who are to blame.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
So is Gudako forever relegated to being a comedic mascot meme? Why aren't they giving her a chance to be the lead main character?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:59 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
So is Gudako forever relegated to being a comedic mascot meme? Why aren't they giving her a chance to be the lead main character?

Look at the first anime. She's one of the 48 masters. Thing is, she's either dead or in Cryo-Freeze. Rolling Eyes

And if you notice, Gudao/Ritsuka is on any piece of animated FGO aside from 1 or 2 CM's where it's Gudako (tho i think Ritsuka appears in those as well), so the changes of her being the MC is slim to none. More se in Camelot with Serenity and whatnot. And Babylon with spoiler[Eresh]
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:14 am Reply with quote
I'm just hoping I'll have finished Babylonia by the time the TV anime comes out, though given the release schedule for the chapters on the Japanese version, that's fairly likely. Not bad choices, given their importance to the story and characters.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote
I bet that by the time the Babylonia arc comes out in anime form, the Singularity probably came out already in the NA/English server should it keep following a similar pattern as the Japanese one two years earlier.
chronos02

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
I bet that by the time the Babylonia arc comes out in anime form, the Singularity probably came out already in the NA/English server should it keep following a similar pattern as the Japanese one two years earlier.

Babylonia will hit the US F/GO in around 3 months, and spoiler[Solomon] will start on Christmas of this year, so yea, it's pretty obvious the TV Anime will air after they get the Babylonia singularity.

Small schedule for USA F/GO:

spoiler[
Sept 2018: Babylonia
Dec 2018: Solomon
Mar 2019: EoR I - Shinjuku
Jun 2019: EoR II - Agartha
Sept 2019: EoR III - Shimosa
Dec 2019: EoR IV - Salem
Jan 2020: Lostbelt Prologue
Mar 2020: Lostbelt No.1 - Anastasia
Jun 2020: Lostbelt No.2 - Götterdämmerung
]
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
SciasSlash wrote:
LIkewise, Production IG is the same studio responsible for Guilty Crown and Psycho Pass Season 2, shows that are not very well regarded.

Production IG did Psycho-Pass Season 1 and the movie. Season 2 was done by Tatsunoko Pro.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
Minimal hype. CloverWorks for Babylon just sucks the air out of that. They did fine for a slice of life show in Slow Start. But the P5 adaptation showed how they were not up to the challenge. And let's face it FGO is closer to P5 in terms of requirements from the animation than Slow Start. Production I.G. should be able to handle Camelot's movies fine though.

But the bigger issue is just picking two late singularities. Effectively killing any hope of actually adapting the FGO story as a whole. Yeah they are covering two of the better arcs, but also skipping most of the story. That's like a LN adaptation saying "we're just covering Volume 3."

An OVA for the start of that game made sense. You can still easily build off that for a full blown series. Instead you go from the prologue...to the end game! Oh well it's some cheap advertisement for the game which I suppose is the only point.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
Oh well it's some cheap advertisement for the game which I suppose is the only point.

Tbf in the survey's they asked players their fav Singularities and fav Mediums. 1st was Babylon and 2nd was Camelot for sing. For Mediums it was 1st(?) Anime and 2nd(?) Movie.

So yeah, it's cheap advertisement that, in a way, was asked for. Laughing
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
Minimal hype. CloverWorks for Babylon just sucks the air out of that. They did fine for a slice of life show in Slow Start. But the P5 adaptation showed how they were not up to the challenge. And let's face it FGO is closer to P5 in terms of requirements from the animation than Slow Start. Production I.G. should be able to handle Camelot's movies fine though.

But the bigger issue is just picking two late singularities. Effectively killing any hope of actually adapting the FGO story as a whole. Yeah they are covering two of the better arcs, but also skipping most of the story. That's like a LN adaptation saying "we're just covering Volume 3."

An OVA for the start of that game made sense. You can still easily build off that for a full blown series. Instead you go from the prologue...to the end game! Oh well it's some cheap advertisement for the game which I suppose is the only point.

Yeah, while I'm excited to see Camelot and Babylon animated, I'm also disappointed that the other singularities have been skipped. And I don't really know how it will work as a stand-alone series.
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
Minimal hype. CloverWorks for Babylon just sucks the air out of that. They did fine for a slice of life show in Slow Start. But the P5 adaptation showed how they were not up to the challenge.

The staff for the P5 anime is entirely different from the announced staff for this show.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:

Like others have said, staff is more important than studio influencing the quality of the production, especially with heavily freelance studios like A-1 (and its rebranded subsidiary CloverWorks). The show shares no key staff with Persona 5, and director Toshifumi Akai is no stranger to action series, being character designer (and chief animation director) for both seasons of Magi. I would also agree with what AksaraKishou said earlier about P5 being greatly improved lately. I think you also underestimate the ambitiousness of subtle character animation compared to action animation, though having key staff with experience in the latter will be important. IG is not without weaker entries in terms of production, with the somewhat disappointing (at the very least with regard to animation) FLCL Progressive and last year's Welcome to the Ballroom. Their adaptation of LOGH last season, while not without some highlights in the animation, was more well produced than ambitiously animated. I would put those on the staff rather than the studio, as they also produced the delightful and delightfully animated Magical Circle Guruguru, and I think that should be the case for CloverWorks (or any other studio), aside from issues resulting from inadequate planning.

FlareKnight wrote:

I don't know that going to two later singularities in the first arc is that comparable to skipping volumes in a manga or LN. Much of the plot of the earlier singularities is largely self contained beyond the overall mission established in the prologue/OVA, so while I would have liked to have seen the whole thing animated, I don't know that they will be incomprehensible to anime only fans. Skipping over spoiler[London] would be more of a challenge, but it could be done with flashbacks. If I would compare it to something, it would be more like skipping over the more episodic chapters/episodes of Detective Conan and getting to the ones more focused on the overarching plot. I don't know that that is the best way to experience those stories, but it is possible to do so while still understanding what is going on. Though Camelot would likely have to come out first for it to be plausible to work for anime only fans.

That being said, it seems to me that the adaptations are less an advertisement for the game than a chance for the players to see their favorite parts of the game in animated form, which doesn't sound so bad to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4