• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fandango Lists Fathom Events Screenings of Perfect Blue Film in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
For anyone who's seen this movie, how is the dub?
Something interesting about the dub, is that Wendee Lee really wanted to play Mimi, but they cast her as Mimis manager. Which works out great as you really believe her creepy obsession with Mimi.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
This is such a great Satoshi Kon film. I'm super excited about a film theater release, and hopefully a blu ray release soon.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:59 am Reply with quote
The thing to remember is that even if GKids IS exhibiting Perfect Blue in theaters that DOESN'T mean they have the home video (BD/DVD) rights to it.
They probably HAVE or ARE GETTING the home video rights but they haven't confirmed this that I've read... I would be VERY glad if they got this film because I want a BETTER, more pristine presentation of it on home video (the only Manga DVD isn't that good, and the film's had a mixed history even on Blu ray) and I know they'll do the best they can with whatever they're given.

There have been situations in the past where one company had theatrical exhibition rights and another company had the home video option.
That happened with the Ghibli films not long ago. Disney was still selling them in stores before they deal with Tokuma expired while GKids exhibited the movies. That situation lasted around 2 years(?),
Disney did NOT theatrically exhibit all the Ghibli films it optioned in North America -- maybe a half-dozen total including Mononoke (which was technically handled by Miramax), Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, The Secret of Arriety, and The Wind Rises. There was the one film they did NOT sell in the US which they had rights to (Only Yesterday) as well a title released on DVD that was not later re-released on Blu ray by them (My Neighbors the Yamadas). Virtually all the licenses they sold on home video in the US were exhibited at film festivals including the one film NOT sold on home video in the US but aired on TCM (Only Yesterday again; Only Yesterday was finally dubbed by GKids years later with Mary "Rey" Sue in the lead role).
This situation arose because Disney became less interested in exhibiting the Ghibli films. They were mainly making money off the home video sales and they really wanted to focus on promoting the newer (mainly Miyazaki; Arriety got theatrical exhibition because The Borrowers books are well-known in the English-speaking world as well as the 1980s animated series "The Littles" based off those books) films in theaters. There was no point in re-releasing My Neighbor Totoro to theaters because that film was already well-known from a long-standing license by 20th Century Fox. It sold tons of copies across VHS, laserdisc, and DVD before Disney swept up the license, redubbed it, and finally released an uncropped, widescreen edition on DVD and Blu ray.

As far as redubbing Perfect Blue, I doubt that will happen. It's very expensive to redub films and they rarely do it. I can count redubs on one hand and a lot of the reason it gets done is the vanity of the home video distributors or IP owners, not a huge demand from fans of a TV show/movie.
It's not impossible Perfect Blue could be redubbed, GKids has excellent contractors and they've produced very good dubs for earlier home video releases, but I don't see it happening because the film isn't that popular. I like it myself but I'm a realist.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, I didn't know the UK was getting a BD of Tokyo Godfathers. Time to hit the ol' import train again.

Seriously though, it's nothing short of criminal that the majority of Kon's filmography continues to languish out-of-print over here. The UK has things so much better in that regard: a BD release of Paprika, an actual dub of Millennium Actress, and Paranoia Agent in-print for many years longer.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
The thing to remember is that even if GKids IS exhibiting Perfect Blue in theaters that DOESN'T mean they have the home video (BD/DVD) rights to it.
They probably HAVE or ARE GETTING the home video rights but they haven't confirmed this that I've read... I would be VERY glad if they got this film because I want a BETTER, more pristine presentation of it on home video (the only Manga DVD isn't that good, and the film's had a mixed history even on Blu ray) and I know they'll do the best they can with whatever they're given.
Hopefully GKIDS was given a new master from 35mm that looks presentable on a big screen. I heard the Japanese Blu-ray was taken from a source that was blurry.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:55 am Reply with quote
Well, whatever the licensing status is, this is excellent news and I think I'll be attending the subbed screening. In all probability GKIDS is getting ready to announce a DVD\Blu-ray re-release in the future but we'll see what happens.

Perfect Blue is one of my favorite anime films. I still have that old Manga DVD which I picked up at F.Y.E. circa 2006/7 and which now commands high prices. A theatrical showing is going to be awesome and a home media re-release is beyond overdue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2