• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DARLING in the FRANXX At Crunchyroll Expo 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
your fly is down wrote:
Except in shakugan no shana most characters were given some closure and the story felt like it had some catharsis.

Sadly, they twisted Yuji's character so much that he became an unbelievable broken mess. By the time the series ended I could have cared less about closure and catharsis.

It should be a meme, that anime fans and reviewers are all looking for secret social messages in anime. Perhaps it is an Illuminati plot.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It should be a meme, that anime fans and reviewers are all looking for secret social messages in anime. Perhaps it is an Illuminati plot.

It's fine if you don't like the conclusions some people came to about what this show was doing, it really is. But I don't think it's fair to act like super basic cinematic/literary metaphor criticism is tantamount to conspiratorial ravings.

Although more importantly, I think when a show goes and lays down imagery pretty explicitly taken from Evangelion, which even so many other Eva rip offs didn't dare to do, I don't think it's surprising for people to try to plumb the depths, as it were. Whether or not we agree on what the show was or wasn't trying to say, it ended up being pretty shallow. Set itself up for disappointment.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
your fly is down wrote:
Except in shakugan no shana most characters were given some closure and the story felt like it had some catharsis.

Sadly, they twisted Yuji's character so much that he became an unbelievable broken mess. By the time the series ended I could have cared less about closure and catharsis.

That's because the anime didn't bother to give Yuji the characterization earlier on that would've made that development feel more natural. He was altered to be little different than every other cookie-cutter LN hero. Not that you would know given the novels were never localized.

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
The Illuminati comment was just a joke. Nor do I think there is some conspiracy.

Not sure what happened to #TheGreatestP4P's comment. Unless it was an auto corrected.

Looking and finding supposed hidden social meanings seems to be a thing now. This is not an "either-or" thing. Yeah, some anime does have an underlying social commentary, but most often there is not one. In the case of "Darling in the Franxx" the creators put a stake in it.

But if you or anyone got enjoyment or it made an anime show more interesting doing this, who am I to say anything. I and many others got tons of enjoyment from the many layers of the Puella Magi Madoka Magica TV series.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Not sure the creators 'put a stake in it' for trying to read social meaning into FranXX. The interviewee makes some pretty clear social commentary about his perceived need for maintaining clearly distinct genders, for the supposed role that plays in making sure kids are born, and focuses throughout his answer to the interviewer on the importance of marriage and children. Those're all socially charged statements, that they coexist in the same breath as him saying "We just kinda winged it LOL" notwithstanding.

Aside from this, interpretation of media isn't just about trying to tease out intended meaning of its creators. The audience's read of a work can be very different from the creator's, and that's OK. (Though, I think, not the case here. The FranXX interpretations very much focused on gender, marriage, kids, and then into how clumsily and haphazardly the show eventually handled them, which is exactly in line with the description given in the interview.)
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
#MuhBael wrote:
Really happy with this interview. Props to Nishigori for sticking to what he believes

ANN must have felt that burning when he said that...
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Ah dang I wish I could have been there! Sounds like a great panel.

{Edit}: Leave out the bait comments next time. ~ Psycho 101
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:07 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Not that you would know given the novels were never localized.

The 1st novel, and I think the 2nd as well, were brought out by Viz (though I'm only finding the first on Amazon right now) but I guess they didn't do well because Viz abandoned the series afterwards. A real shame, as I've been super curious to read the novels ever since I finished the anime and heard about some of the changes and stuff that got left out. Well, maybe one day I'll finally learn Japanese.

Anyways, digression aside sounds like an interesting panel. Not surprised to hear there was a somewhat interesting production process, during the second half of the show it really felt like they were just winging it at times. Aliens? Sure, why not. It was fun at times at least even if it fell flat for me more often then not.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:55 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting and a bit sad that the only reason for 002's design was "marketing appeal". I know this is a business and people need to sell first and foremost, but it gives it a dishonest and shallow feel to know that the character was created that way not for some artistic decision or to convey anything in particular, but for marketing purposes only.

Nishigori wrote:
Honestly, “gender” means something different in every country. I think that it's quite a sensitive issue. Without it, we wouldn't have marriage or children. So with the anime I think the idea that gender has meaning, and that it's necessary to distinguish between boys and girls is something that naturally came through.

Jesus, I was giving the show the benefit of the doubt regarding its gender politics as just "the writers didn't really think through the implications of the setting they created", but this response makes it clear there was awareness of what they were doing. And what does he even mean with the comment that "gender means something different in every country", because it sounds like he's trying to minimize the existence of genderqueer people in Japan -repeating the same old "Japan is different and exotic compared to The West(TM)" which has been proved false numerous times- which is honestly gross, especially given how the show treated it's non-straight non-gender-conforming characters. At least I'm grateful this question was asked, it was definitely important to clarify the writer's views on this subject even if the final message of the show seemed to amount to so little. I hope Zac will talk more about how that interview went on a future ANNCast.

Also:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgeUKPxV4AAFzlf.jpg
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:07 am Reply with quote
#MuhBael wrote:
Really happy with this interview. Props to Nishigori for sticking to what he believes

From other sources I've seen, it sounds like the panel itself was full of that stuff

When Tanaka did live drawings of Zero Two, Ichigo, and 01 he was also fielding questions from the audience.

Q: What's the hardest part of drawing Zero Two and what's the best part about drawing Zero Two?
A: Boobs

Q:What's the hardest part of drawing Ichigo and what's the best part about drawing Ichigo?
A: Boobs

Nishigori: I'm gonna say something OTHER than boobs because the show isn't about that
Tanaka: Are you SURE about that?

Props to all of the Franxx team.

I'm also not surprised to hear all the shipping nonsense was western-only. Shippers are crazy.
TheArsonAut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
"...but we got plenty of hate mail from America and Europe. We were taken by surprise, but it isn't going to change how we do things. Besides, all that feedback died down by episode 15."

Got it in quotes now, nobody rewrote or changed anything because of the Twitter controversy.

2. Japan is conservative, we should all probably know this by now. Even if they make weird cartoons, and that could be because people have so little of a creative outlet in their society.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
TheArsonAut wrote:
...but we got plenty of hate mail from America and Europe. We were taken by surprise, but it isn't going to change how we do things. Besides, all that feedback died down by episode 15."

Got it in quotes now, nobody rewrote or changed anything because of the Twitter controversy.

2. Japan is conservative, we should all probably know this by now. Even if they make weird cartoons, and that could be because people have so little of a creative outlet in their society.

What are you talking about. Japan is consider one of the most creative countries in the world. From arts, to technology, science and industry.
Been conservative doesn't mean that is a bad thing and many conservatives are very creative people as we see what coming out of Japan.

Also, just because some Americans or Europeans complain there is no reason to change anything as long as Japan is happy with the product, because they are the main audience.

It was great of them to stick with their vision until the end even if it was a little crazy conclusion.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:33 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Jesus, I was giving the show the benefit of the doubt regarding its gender politics as just "the writers didn't really think through the implications of the setting they created", but this response makes it clear there was awareness of what they were doing.

That is just you confirming your own bias. According to the article, immediately after the part you quoted, he also said:
"So it's not like we approached DARLING in the FRANXX with a theme or message to say. "

Of course, as the guy also said, how you interpret it is up to you. If you're looking for that, you can find it.

I would have been interested if he expanded on the "gender means something different in every country" part. I'm guessing the Q&A was done through a translator though? If so, I wouldn't assume too much from the specific wording. It is like playing telephone. You're just guessing what the guy guessing what they guy said thought he meant. Translation isn't an exact science so unless you both heard and understood what was originally said, over-analyzing one line of a translation in a vacuum is super pointless (especially if the translation was done live where the translator is rushing to very quickly produce a coherent sentence).
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:27 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I would have been interested if he expanded on the "gender means something different in every country" part. I'm guessing the Q&A was done through a translator though? If so, I wouldn't assume too much from the specific wording. It is like playing telephone. You're just guessing what the guy guessing what they guy said thought he meant. Translation isn't an exact science so unless you both heard and understood what was originally said, over-analyzing one line of a translation in a vacuum is super pointless (especially if the translation was done live where the translator is rushing to very quickly produce a coherent sentence).
I'm surprised they answered it at all, to be honest. Those kinds of loaded questions are generally banned from these kinds of things and often will just be skipped over. Hopefully the person who asked was ejected from the panel afterwards for trying to muckrake.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Jesus, I was giving the show the benefit of the doubt regarding its gender politics as just "the writers didn't really think through the implications of the setting they created", but this response makes it clear there was awareness of what they were doing.

That is just you confirming your own bias. According to the article, immediately after the part you quoted, he also said:

"So it's not like we approached DARLING in the FRANXX with a theme or message to say. "

But ... he says that right after identifying several themes/messages he was aware of embedding in the show? Just because they didn't start from the outset with the explicit mission of focusing the show around those ideas doesn't mean they were unaware of their use of them in writing and production.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3