• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2018 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:38 am Reply with quote
When I think of Slime, the first color that I envision isn't a gorgeous aqua blue, but a phlegmy green. So that's a point in its favor, not having to look at an ugly color the whole series. From the OP/ED we won't even have to look at slime for the whole series. Anyway, the first episode was fun enough, and I liked the dragon, so I'll put this one in my pocket for the time being.

Double Decker is also a keeper. I have a feeling Kirill is going to get a new code-name every week. He's had 3 already. I also think we're going to see a lot of that same 3/4 profile closeup shot of Boss. I liked Kirill's purple outfit better than the white one with the stupid collar. Maybe he can get new outfits each week too. Smile
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
It should be noted that the first episode of Double Decker! Doug & Kirill has already been dubbed and is streaming on Funimation and VRV. Pretty solid dub, too.

It surprised me to see that on my Facebook feed. I was thinking, "A dub already? But the Preview Guide hasn't even started."

I didn't even know about this show until the cast for the dub was announced, so having it show up quickly was an added bonus.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
meiam wrote:
Wait, so the slime isekai, whose entire shtick is that the main character isn't an over powered hero but rather the weakest of possible monster features... an overpowered hero as main character...? Why? This is making me super worried about "I'm a spider so what?" since apparently it's impossible to get anything green light if it doesn't feature an OP MC.

You shouldn't be too worried. While the spider eventually gets very strong, she definitely doesn't start out that way and has a much more difficult and harrowing path to that level than most.

Oh I read the manga, I'm just worried the adaptation will focus massively on the boring overpowered human character over the spider who slowly earn her strength just in order to have an overpowered main character (or worse change the story so the spider just straight start overpowered).
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
You shouldn't be too worried. While the spider eventually gets very strong, she definitely doesn't start out that way and has a much more difficult and harrowing path to that level than most.

Oh I read the manga, I'm just worried the adaptation will focus massively on the boring overpowered human character over the spider who slowly earn her strength just in order to have an overpowered main character (or worse change the story so the spider just straight start overpowered).[/quote]
Then it would be a totally different series.

Honestly, I think you're worried for nothing. The story worked well enough in novel form to earn the anime series, so why drastically change something that has already proven successful?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
And Thunderbolt Fantasy is back with the crazy over the top puppetry delivered straight. I love the first season so much I had someone review though Patreon. Good to have it back

The slime anime was interesting both for the drastic tonal shift from the first few minutes and for the surreal animation at times. I’m looking forward to it though I do agree sinewhat with Mr. Creamer about the odd dialogue related to powers
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Reminder to watch Thunderbolt Fantasy: The Sword of Life and Death if you've only seen the 1st season.
Koda89

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
So far the debuts I've seen have been Thunderbolt Fantasy Season 2, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, and Run with the Wind.

Thunderbolt Fantasy is more Thunderbolt Fantasy so far. They did have to spend a bit more of this episode setting up this season, so it wasn't just straight to balls out action like the first episode of the first season, but what action and good old Thunderbolt Fantasy goofiness we got was great. And speaking of great, the new puppets look phenomenal! The Princess of Cruelty has one of my favorite weapon designs in the entire series. I need that sword with a scorpion crossguard she has.

Slime is pretty amusing and fun. I'll stick with it for now, but I always am a little wary of these kind of isekai shows that load up a bunch of abilities on their main character. At least the MC isn't insufferable(yet) like so many of his brethren are.

Run with the Wind
is something I didn't expect at all. That was under the radar even for me, and so far I am liking what I am seeing. This could potentially be one of the big surprises of the season.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I am hoping, perhaps in vain, that Double Decker will eventually include a reference to buses or nougat-based chocolate bars. Not to do so would be a lamentable waste of its name.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash also was pretty deliberate in starting its characters at the bottom of the skill tree. Their messy, life-threatening fight against a single goblin is still one of the best action scenes in any modern day isekai I've seen.

I don't know if there's an exact official definition of "isekai," but I take that to mean "one protagonist from our normal world somehow ends up in a fantasy alternate world." Grimgar, the similar-concept Log Horizon, the spider one, SAO, and a few others all involve a whole bunch of people thrown into a new world; sometimes the entire population is fishes-out-of-water. Having one character become both the primary character and absurdly powerful is a much less natural conclusion in that situation--one person completely dominating everyone else feels less plausible if other "real" people are involved--so many (but not all...) of them avoid it.

When only one character is a transdimensional newcomer, though, they almost always end up running the place, in some sense or another. Overlord literally transplants the main character into his insurmountably-powerful video game avatar, and the popularity of that show has kinda cemented the idea that this is the only possible use for this concept.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't really think there's anything that interests me this time, this season. Sad
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about you people, and I do agree that the production values aren't strong, but IMO Xuan Yuan Sword was way more interesting than I imagined it to be.

Thunderbolt Fantasy is still as good as ever though.
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Key wrote:
meiam wrote:
Wait, so the slime isekai, whose entire shtick is that the main character isn't an over powered hero but rather the weakest of possible monster features... an overpowered hero as main character...? Why? This is making me super worried about "I'm a spider so what?" since apparently it's impossible to get anything green light if it doesn't feature an OP MC.

Oh I read the manga, I'm just worried the adaptation will focus massively on the boring overpowered human character over the spider who slowly earn her strength just in order to have an overpowered main character (or worse change the story so the spider just straight start overpowered).

Based off the trailer the main problem I'd have after having read the manga is the use of the LN character design for the spider. Aoi Yuki voicing that role kind of makes up for it though.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I don't know if there's an exact official definition of "isekai," but I take that to mean "one protagonist from our normal world somehow ends up in a fantasy alternate world." Grimgar, the similar-concept Log Horizon, the spider one, SAO, and a few others all involve a whole bunch of people thrown into a new world; sometimes the entire population is fishes-out-of-water. Having one character become both the primary character and absurdly powerful is a much less natural conclusion in that situation--one person completely dominating everyone else feels less plausible if other "real" people are involved--so many (but not all...) of them avoid it.

Most places I have seen translate "isekai" as "another world". Let's not forget that sometimes the transported to another world routine involves being run over by Truck-kun or Train-kun.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I am hoping, perhaps in vain, that Double Decker will eventually include a reference to buses or nougat-based chocolate bars.

Well, it's already had a few shots of double-decker buses, so not so in vain. Smile The chocolate bars might be out of reach though.

I am really excited now for Run Like the Wind. That was a great first episode. I liked all the characters (college age!), and there was a good assortment of personalities, nicely revealed in their expressive faces. Moreover it just has a really interesting ambience to it, and the musical choices are no small part of that. I hope other anime will take note and use their running sequences as a template for how to animate runners. It's so nice to see people run without their elbows horizontal to the ground! Wink

I didn't realize Jingai-san was a short form. That's disappointing, since I was really looking forward to this from the descriptions. It was too short to say whether I liked it or not, since there was only about 2 minutes of content and about 4 lines of dialog. Half of that was the MC preparing for and walking to school. Sad
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:06 am Reply with quote
Whew, at least one reviewer took the power-fantasy isekai to task in terms of actual criticism. There is some slight hope yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 25