• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Pierrot Reveals Crime Action Anime Hero Mask Exclusively for Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
But you would enjoy a by the numbers crime drama with more realistic looking characters over the same show with more creativity put in it with Moe, or more likely would not give it the time of day and just throw it in with the pile.

I'm not asking you to like them, or even give them a try. Just not to bunch shows like Dragon Pilot and Flip Flappers together with a slice of live girls do nothing under this Moe genre you invented. There is even a good chunk of them where only the main cast is Moe, and the rest are probably the designs you like.

Actually, this is one point where I kind of understand where donhumberto is coming from. Personally, at this point I'm sick and tired of cute anime girls - not necessarily cute girls period, I like cute girls), but just that "cute anime girl" thing where the girls are designed to be cute in a certain infantilized, often subtly sexualized, designed-to-please-predominantly-male-viewers kind of way that rubs me the wrong way.* Moe, if you please, although my irritation doesn't only cover the currently trendy designs that tend to be called "moe" around here.

And so if a show is about drama about cute anime girls, comedy with cute anime girls, cute anime girls doing quirky things, cute anime girls doing dark & edgy things, I'll most likely skip it because 1. having a story with these designs and the vocal performances that tend to go with them, just ruin any sort of immersion or entertainment for me, and 2. having watched anime/read manga for well over two decades now I usually know what I can expect from these, and even when people tell me "no, this one is different!" - let's just say I've never been surprised.

Which is not to say I think that people who like these are wrong or that these shows are bad, or that they shouldn't exist or whatever. To each their own. (And I can be terribly shallow in my own way, anyway.)

*OK, to be fair it doesn't always rub me the wrong way - it depends on designer so it's terribly subjective. And even if it does I'm often willing to overlook it if the cast offers other types of characters as well. But when the main cast, or god forbid the entire cast, is made up of cute animne girls, I'm out.

wow, just, bravo. You basically said everything I ever wanted to say about Moe much better than I ever could. Thank you, sir.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
At least this series is being delayed for 1-2 seasons from their Japanese premiere dates like Netflix likes to be via binge-watching.

If it’s exclusively on Netflix, it will probably start everywhere simultaneously without a weekly schedule, just like Devilman Crybaby.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
At least this series is being delayed for 1-2 seasons from their Japanese premiere dates like Netflix likes to be via binge-watching.

If it’s exclusively on Netflix, it will probably start everywhere simultaneously without a weekly schedule, just like Devilman Crybaby.

I meant to say "not being delayed" but my point still stands. "Sirius the Jaeger", which I have to yet see the last 3 epi. of, was seen through fan-subs.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I really hope this is not going to be yet another Netflix anime that's like it was created by ticking off items on a checklist titled "What Makes Anime Cool!" compiled by some American dude who stopped watching anime in like 2005 and even before that only watched the most US-mainstream shows. Let's face it 99% of Netflix's original anime have been exactly like that (the remaining 1% is Devilman Crybaby which I strongly suspect was just a fluke, Netflix probably just wanted an Edgy Violent And Sexy Anime, Totally For Grownups!!!) and even some of the ones that they partly financed and have exclusive streaming rights to, like Sirius the Jaeger. I'm really sick of them, and it's kind of irritating how Netflix is sinking all that money into creating anime and instead of creating something interesting they're just making boring, predictable cliché-fests with outdated, boring tropes.

Netflix doesn’t have any involvement in the actual production for any of the anime in their roster, as far as I know. I haven’t seen Netflix credited for anything other than being involved in the licensing, localizing, and exclusive streaming. And occasionally they may be one of the funders. I believe the “Netflix original” tag line is only added to all of them because Netflix officially owns the license to it and so is the only place you can legally stream the anime outside of Japan.

So no they don’t actually create any of the anime, nor are they responsible for fully financing and being involved with the production either. Really the only special case I’ve heard of was Devilman Crybaby, but that seems to be a baseless rumor. But correct me if I’m wrong, cause I just haven’t found a legit source confirming it ^^;;

TL;DR Netflix offers funding and exclusive streaming rights, but they hold no influence over the actual anime.

And even if that were true, are you really excluding stuff like Violet Evergarden, Children of the Whales, Aggretsuko, Dragon Pilot and Seven Deadly Sins from that 1% you designated?
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
Netflix doesn’t have any involvement in the actual production for any of the anime in their roster, as far as I know. I haven’t seen Netflix credited for anything other than being involved in the licensing, localizing, and exclusive streaming. I believe the “Netflix original” tag line is only added becuase Netflix is the only place you can legally stream the anime outside of Japan.

I don't know what exactly the definition of the "Netflix original" label is, but the shows I'm talking about (B: The Beginning, AICO, Sword Gai, Devilman Cryaby...) have been developed specially for Netflix, at Netflix's order. They are exclusive to Netflix, not shown anywhere else, online or on TV - not outside Japan nor in Japan. (Home video release is a different thing, btw.) This is why you see so little buzz about these shows even in Japan: they're exclusive to Netflix, and since Netflix is not widespread in Japan basically barely anyone knows these shows even exist. Even Devilman Crybaby would have most likely come and gone without any fanfare had Yuasa not been involved, and even so the buzz about it was very tiny compared to what it could have been.

And sure, you won't see something like "Story by Bill @ Netflix" or whatever in the credits, but do you seriously think that Netflix wants no say in what content they finance for their service? Especially with these shows that kick off their own original anime line? Hell, the similarities between the shows alone should tip you off that there's definitely a concept behind them. (And by similarities I meant my description. They really have a very distinct "feel" to them especially given how damn cliché-ridden and tropey they are - again not counting Devilman Crybaby.)

DigitalScratch wrote:
And even if that were true, are you really excluding stuff like Violet Evergarden, Children of the Whales, Aggretsuko, Dragon Pilot and Seven Deadly Sins from that 1% you designated?

Arrow
SHD wrote:
even some of the ones that they partly financed and have exclusive streaming rights to, like Sirius the Jaeger.

These are shows that are not Netflix exclusives but Netflix is still one of the financers behind them. These shows air on TV in Japan, but streaming is Netflix exclusive both inside and outside Japan. They're often based on existing properties (ie. they're adaptations/etc) which gives them more of a distinct identity/personality, as does the fact that they're addressing a Japanese audience not mainly an American one. But even so some of them have the same feel as the exclusives - I mentioned Sirius the Jaeger because that's where I felt it really strongly, like that show really wanted to be an early '00s grand mainstream action-adventure anime but never managed to get further than clichés and boringly applied tropes. (Not incidentally it was created by Andou Masahiro, he of the similarly clichéd and tropey in a "this is what Americans like, right?" way Under the Dog...)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Is this anime made by hideo kojima!?! The drinking is like some sort of meme lol. Watch, the drinking will be the source of the hero powers or something.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I don't know what exactly the definition of the "Netflix original" label is, but the shows I'm talking about (B: The Beginning, AICO, Sword Gai, Devilman Cryaby...) have been developed specially for Netflix, at Netflix's order. They are exclusive to Netflix, not shown anywhere else, online or on TV - not outside Japan nor in Japan. (Home video release is a different thing, btw.) This is why you see so little buzz about these shows even in Japan: they're exclusive to Netflix, and since Netflix is not widespread in Japan basically barely anyone knows these shows even exist. Even Devilman Crybaby would have most likely come and gone without any fanfare had Yuasa not been involved, and even so the buzz about it was very tiny compared to what it could have been.

The fate of all Netflix anime is to be doomed to obscurity, which is partly why I don't even bother watching them unless it's an adaption of a manga I like such as Devilman.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

I don't know what exactly the definition of the "Netflix original" label is, but the shows I'm talking about (B: The Beginning, AICO, Sword Gai, Devilman Cryaby...) have been developed specially for Netflix, at Netflix's order.

Sword Gai is based on preexisting material. The series has been out since, like, 6 years ago. Wink
Winger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Why there is not a page for Hero Mask at the encyclopedia already?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I'm really sick of them, and it's kind of irritating how Netflix is sinking all that money into creating anime and instead of creating something interesting they're just making boring, predictable cliché-fests with outdated, boring tropes.

So basically you're tired of Netflix doing basically the same thing with anime that Japan has been doing for 60 some odd years?

Lord Oink wrote:

The fate of all Netflix anime is to be doomed to obscurity, which is partly why I don't even bother watching them unless it's an adaption of a manga I like such as Devilman.

You can basically say the same about 90% of the anime that actually winds up being exported to other markets especially the U.S. and Europe.

Hence why stuff like Saint Seiya and Doraemon are less popular outside of Japan than in it.
Winger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
SHD wrote:
I'm really sick of them, and it's kind of irritating how Netflix is sinking all that money into creating anime and instead of creating something interesting they're just making boring, predictable cliché-fests with outdated, boring tropes.

So basically you're tired of Netflix doing basically the same thing with anime that Japan has been doing for 60 some odd years?

Lord Oink wrote:

You can basically say the same about 90% of the anime that actually winds up being exported to other markets especially the U.S. and Europe.

Hence why stuff like Saint Seiya and Doraemon are less popular outside of Japan than in it.

Actually, Saint Seiya is more popular in Brazil, France, China and maybe in Spain and Italy than it is in Japan.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Winger wrote:

Actually, Saint Seiya is more popular in Brazil, France, China and maybe in Spain and Italy than it is in Japan.

I actually already know of it's huge popularity in South and Central America The China and France thing is new to me though.
megazero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
The series looks gritty and hard edged.
Looking forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Winger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
There isn't an encyclopedia page for this anime until now. Why?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Geez it's almost as if people on the Internet can have different preferences of what kinds of cartoons with big eyes they like to watch instead of people freaking out over what kind of cartoons with big eyes you do or don't like. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3