• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Was Cloverway, And What Were They Doing With Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
@Cardcaptor Takato
Yeah, that's what it was, and it was the same problems that plagued early dubs of Ghibli's Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Porco Rosso, both of those films also were rushed in production with the actors possibly only doing one take.

@GeorgeC
I know that if it wasn't for the DiC/CWi dubs we wouldn't get Sailor Moon, and I know Japanese and American TV standards differ. Without going too much into my personal life (and if you wanna know my age, I'm 23, and I even don't have any kids), I didn't even watch a whole lot of TV as a kid, so I wouldn't have even known about stuff like that. I did read about the whole thing as to how Sailor Moon fared on TV before I saw the series though.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's my understanding that most of the inconsistency issues with the S and SuperS English dub were due to the dubbing being extremely rushed and the voice actors were told they could do one take. I think the ADR director only spoke French which made things more difficult and I heard she was very difficult to work with.

It was extremely rushed with, to my knowledge, a fraction of the budget. Nicole Thuault (formerly solely producing & casting for the 1995 run) was ESL and, yes, was an infamous tight-ass. She was the one who got Roland Parliament pushed out and, as she thought they were a bad thing (brand name protection), HATED con trips . (Yeah, let THAT roll around your modern anime head). Parliament has openly stated he has no hard feelings and she did seem to love the show; She just had some really, REALLY bad ideas about how things should be run.

The DiC turn was done on a time & money budget, too, but it was creatively headed by native English speakers with a select writing (credited; I don't know about ghost writers) team and professionals in charge. Parliament was a commercial director so he was used to getting solid performances out of people in a teeny space of time.

GeorgeC wrote:
As it was, Sailor Moon was a ratings disaster in North America because it was shown in the morning before school in most places and the timing just wasn't right.

Just want to point out Canada's part of NA and the show did NOT tank here. Sailor Moon was in a popular after-school block on YTV, a basic cable kids' channel, and it ran for several cycles. Mysticons-style, it didn't matter to the American producers but the show was definitely not a failure north of the 49th.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
I also heard Nicole (along with Janice Sonski, who also worked on the CWi dub) was an alcoholic, great sign of a professional worker. Rolling Eyes
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
For all the short comings of the Cloverway dub, I still remember how huge of a deal it was when it first aired that they actually used the original Japanese music which back then was something you just never saw localized anime dubs do on North American TV. The only other one from the 90s I can think of that kept the original music was Ronin Warriors maybe?
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
@Cardcaptor Takato
Yeah, that's what it was, and it was the same problems that plagued early dubs of Ghibli's Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Porco Rosso, both of those films also were rushed in production with the actors possibly only doing one take.

Yep, it's a good thing Disney reduced these two films with superior results, even though, rather bizarrely, fans of the initial dubs say the Disney ones are inferior. I can't understand why, though; as far as I know the opposite is true. I sort of see the argument with My Neighbor Totoro, but even then I thought the Disney and Streamline releases were equal in quality for the most part.

On-topic: Wow, that's really messed up. I didn't realize the situation for the Cloverway dub was that complicated. Not that I've watched the show, but it's fascinating nonetheless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2