• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Did Crunchyroll and Funimation Divorce?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animefanworried

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Funi's acquisition by Sony is a disaster waiting to happen. Soyny loves to respect "Western sensibilities" and in order to do that they turned the PS4 into a brick. Considering they want Funimation as an "International" mainstream brand, forgive me if I fear censorship, if not outright no longer licensing ecchi titles, is just a few years away. It won't be right away, but we'll start hearing about it. About how said title is wrong because loli, said title is controversial because it objectifies women (Fanservice), said title is transphobic... And sooner or later, Sony will "Hear the fans and take note of its social responsibilities" and will start censoring. I also suspect that when the all too familiar pushback occurs from fans and sales start to take a bite, piracy will be blamed.

Anime becoming mainstream is the worst thing that could have happened to the medium and being monopolized by super corporations is essentially it's slow death. Political correctness is getting out of hand in every level of society, I'm not naive enough to think anime is the only hobby that'll be safe.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
Funi's acquisition by Sony is a disaster waiting to happen. Soyny loves to respect "Western sensibilities" and in order to do that they turned the PS4 into a brick. Considering they want Funimation as an "International" mainstream brand, forgive me if I fear censorship, if not outright no longer licensing ecchi titles
Oh no how terrible they won't license Ecchi titles, how will we cop?. In all seriousness, I have absolutely nothing against ecchi titles, but it really does not matter one single bit if they decide not to license them. Best thing that happens, someone else licenses them, worst thing... You have to watch a fan subbed version?
JustStopPlz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
Funi's acquisition by Sony is a disaster waiting to happen. Soyny loves to respect "Western sensibilities" and in order to do that they turned the PS4 into a brick. Considering they want Funimation as an "International" mainstream brand, forgive me if I fear censorship, if not outright no longer licensing ecchi titles, is just a few years away. It won't be right away, but we'll start hearing about it. About how said title is wrong because loli, said title is controversial because it objectifies women (Fanservice), said title is transphobic... And sooner or later, Sony will "Hear the fans and take note of its social responsibilities" and will start censoring. I also suspect that when the all too familiar pushback occurs from fans and sales start to take a bite, piracy will be blamed.

Anime becoming mainstream is the worst thing that could have happened to the medium and being monopolized by super corporations is essentially it's slow death. Political correctness is getting out of hand in every level of society, I'm not naive enough to think anime is the only hobby that'll be safe.

What branch of Sony does the PS4 operate under? I'm pretty sure it's not Sony Pictures, which are the ones buying Funimation. Each branch of Sony does their own thing and is practically a separate company. Just because Sony's PlayStation branch is forcing censorship doesn't mean Sony Pictures will as well.

Hopefully.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I take it Aniplex and Funiamtion will continue to operate independently? Because that is the ideal scenario, Aniplex continue with Fate and other such titles and Funimation do whatever they are going to be done from next year on.

They should, since Sony Music owns Aniplex and Sony Pictures owns Funimation. But that doesn't mean that Sony Pictures won't force a similar pricing model on Funimation. Funimation claimed that won't happen in a post right after the acquisition, but it's out of their control now. Just don't be surprised if Funimation's prices start rising in the next few years.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
JustStopPlz wrote:

What branch of Sony does the PS4 operate under? I'm pretty sure it's not Sony Pictures, which are the ones buying Funimation. Each branch of Sony does their own thing and is practically a separate company. Just because Sony's PlayStation branch is forcing censorship doesn't mean Sony Pictures will as well.

Playstation operates under Sony Computer Entertainment, which is separate from Sony Pictures or Sony Home Entertainment--
The latter of which may have screwed up the possibility of 4K UHD premiering on the PS4, as Home didn't want any competition from Computer. Not all inter-company relations are amicable.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Mistaken wrote:
easy. CH isn't successful and funi is. simple as that.

Justin mentioned CR is turning a profit and has two million subscribers so which is it?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
Funi's acquisition by Sony is a disaster waiting to happen. Soyny loves to respect "Western sensibilities" and in order to do that they turned the PS4 into a brick.

......I don't think you know what that word means in relation to electronic devices.

Also the linked article loses credibility which such cringe takes as this

Quote:
This is suppression of female sexuality and, considering how beautiful women are now dehumanised and encouraged to “Love themselves” by repressing their sexuality and covering up, it is also slut shaming.

Quote:
Sony as a whole has been increasing its communist-style “Moral values” censorship as Naughty Dog has been recently pushing highly “Feminist” ideals and intentionally admitted to virtue signalling in their games

Quote:
How mainstream” it is while criticizing anime’s “Problematic” elements… Yeah, I’m seeing the same warning signs that accompanied the downfall of video games and comics.

animefanworried wrote:
Anime becoming mainstream is the worst thing that could have happened to the medium

Anime becoming mainstream means more people are going to watch it, which means it makes a larger profit, which means companies can license or produce more stuff.

I don't know why people complain about the idea of Anime becoming mainstream while at the same time having sour grapes about why the medium or certain titles therein aren't as successful as they want them to be.

To paraphrase Ultron

You want the anime industry to be successful but you don't want it to change.

animefanworried wrote:

and being monopolized by super corporations is essentially it's slow death. Political correctness is getting out of hand in every level of society,

Uncontrolled political correctness is not why Roseanne got cancelled

It's not why Don't Imus got fired from a TV and radio gig.

It's not why a writer like Orson Scott Card is considered a hack.

It's not why people like James Wood get booted from Twitter or Alex Jones suffers the same fate on YouTube.

I mean sure it does lead to things like the controversy over Batgirl #41's cover art but those cases are few and far between.
Toonces

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the deal always felt a little better for CR to me, so I'm not really surprised that it ended. I think the Sony acquisition speeded things up.

Quote:
The two did license a huge number of titles jointly, however (including several yet to be released, where they're even on the production committee together), and those will be staying put (although most of Funimation's dubs are being pulled from Crunchyroll).

Did they do it jointly? My impression was that CR licensed most things, and sublicensed certain things (distribution and dubbing) to Funimation? Like, CR seems to have the master rights for more things than Funi does, unless I'm misunderstanding.

Interesting to see they both have things coming out in the future. Will be interested to see how they handle that.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I take it Aniplex and Funiamtion will continue to operate independently?

Given that Aniplex was refusing to renew expiring Aniplex titles on Funimation even after their purchase by Sony, I would expect so.
MHAFMAB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Man I'll ditch Funimation if they start censoring shows.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
From the article:
Quote:
(although most of Funimation's dubs are being pulled from Crunchyroll)

I don't recall Funimation placing a single dub on CR. Did you mean something else there?

No, he meant what he said. If you go onto Funimation's site now, the dubs that were stated to be appearing on Crunchyroll during the partnership are now gone from streaming on Funimation (though it appears that Funimation's home media releases of those shows are still on the site). You can now get them on VRV, at least.
sniper_samurai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
With Disney readying their "Disney+" service, which every studio now believes will be a "Netflix-crushing juggernaut" (because they really don't understand streaming or its viewers all that well Confused ), the push has been for studios to arms-race their own all-encompassing studio-branded content services.

As pointed out, that's why Warner took all their Archive classics off of FilmStruck--so they could circle the demographic wagons with one Warner-branded service--and why Sony became so interested in "The One Anime Company They'd Heard of", since their own brief attempt to spin off an all-anime version of Crackle never went anywhere.
As far as Sony is concerned, Funi is "the Anime Industry in America", and CR is a geek-niche that was doing fine without them.

As long as it doesn't end up like what they did in the UK.

Sony set up their own anime streaming service, Animax, barely supported it and blocked Crunchyroll from adding the PlayStation apps in Europe leaving Animax as the only anime service on the platform unless you created a North American PSN account.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
Goblin Slayer is the most popular late night anime on Crunchyroll so I don't think censorship is caused by popularity but that popularity causes the people who advocate for censorship to notice anime. The question is whether anime companies will listen to what their customers want or will they embrace censorship to make it as bland as possible.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I think this was defiantly one of the most talked about divorces in the anime industry in the history of modern anime.

Although ADV and ShoPro got a little bit of mention in its day... Shocked
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I'm wondering about is what this means when an anime's streaming rights expire. Like if Crunchyroll loses the the streaming rights to a show they co-released with Funimation, does Funimation still have the home video distribution rights? And are the simuldubs that were made during this partnership owned by Funimation or Crunchyroll?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The one thing I'm wondering about is what this means when an anime's streaming rights expire. Like if Crunchyroll loses the the streaming rights to a show they co-released with Funimation, does Funimation still have the home video distribution rights? And are the simuldubs that were made during this partnership owned by Funimation or Crunchyroll?

In cases like these, those rights should all expire at the same time. Generally that was only an issue in the past when someone picked up digital and home video rights and later obtain digital rights, or vice versa. That doesn’t appear to be the case with most of these titles.

Also, if CR was the master licensor, then they actually had the home video rights. They just had Funimation distribute the title for them. Funimation would have the home video rights for the titles that they are the master licensor for, like the new FMP.

As for the dub, that also lies with whoever the master licensor is. The dubbing studio doesn’t really matter. So with shows like the Ancient Magus Bride, the rights to the dub actually belong to CR. The easiest way to tell is too look at the end credits of the show, or look at the logos on the box. If the CR logo appears, it’s theirs. If only the Funimation logo appears, then they own it. Although technically, the dub is always owned by the Japanese production committee and they ultimately have the final say over it.

The contracts for each show are all slightly different, so there might be some variation here and there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5