• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Evangelion Series, Death & Rebirth, End of Evangelion Films Next Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
There better be enough groundswell from this to get a BD release. Those DVDs are too expensive now.
macattack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:28 am Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
As long as they "forget" to include the Spanish dub it's all good.

*shudder*

Honestly I'm expecting Netflix to pay out for redubs for at least a few of the languages they plan to carry Eva in. The original Japanese will stay the way it is, but everything else is potentially fair game.

Waiting until spring 2019 has to be for a reason and redubbing the show in various languages is a plausible explanation for this.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
MightyMazokuLordofEvil wrote:
I don't see this news as significant, what is so special that Netfilx is streaming Eva?

It’s really great news! It will reach a wider audience! The domestic DVDs are long out-of-print.

Hell, I own the Blu-ray Discs and I’m still going to watch this.
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Pretty sure Netflix only gets streaming rights to their anime. Shows like Knights of Sidonia and Seven Deadly Sins have gotten Blu-ray releases from Sentai and FUNimation respectively.

Also glad to see they got End of Eva. That means there is a remote chance on a Blu-ray reissue. Manga Entertainment’s ancient and terrible (even for the time) DVD goes for huge $$$.

Netflix and Amazon tend to get full rights, then sell off the ones they aren't interested in, but only after a set time.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:39 am Reply with quote
Huh I really should finish Eva one of these days.

Guess now’s the time to do it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:51 am Reply with quote
Gotta wonder if this is an experiment. If Evangelion is successful, Netflix's anime department might become more focused on making things legally available that anime fans have demanded for years, such as Angel's Egg, the original Berserk, and Monster.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:54 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Gotta wonder if this is an experiment. If Evangelion is successful, Netflix's anime department might become more focused on making things legally available that anime fans have demanded for years, such as Angel's Egg, the original Berserk, and Monster.

Good post. Something like Monster is perfect for a Netflix due to its crossover potential.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
NGE will finally be available for streaming. Now if only the Blu-rays could be released over here.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
I don't see this news as significant, what is so special that Netfilx is streaming Eva?

It's the first time the series has been legally available to the English speaking world in 10 years. Think about it, a series as iconic and impactful as Evangelion has been unavailable in any legal outlet to a significant portion of the international anime community for an entire decade.

Of course this would be headline news. This will be the first time a generation of anime watchers are exposed to Evangelion outside of the Rebuild films.

Last edited by veemonjosh on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
I don't see this news as significant, what is so special that Netfilx is streaming Eva? I agree we'd much prefer official western Blu-Ray release as those whom are Eva fans already have the series on dvd no need for us to watch it on Netflix lol but I guess its good for people whom know little to nothing about the series at least they can watch it on netflix but I don't support Netflix. I prefer to support the companies that produce these shows through purchasing physical media rather than streaming sites especially crunchyroll & their political agendas i'd rather not associate with

If somebody asks me where to watch Evangelion, my answer for a long time has been "Guhhhhh...", since it hasn't been legally streaming anywhere and the old DVDs are relatively expensive.

So yes, this is very good news. Not exactly what those of us waiting for the BDs wanted for Christmas, but it's good.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:17 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

How about at least 2 weekly anime simulcasts each season? Concerning a simuldub, I can handle the binge-watching upload approach if they have at least the subbed ver. streaming weekly.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
By the way, I'm noticing some outlets saying the two movies they have are End of Evangelion and Evangelion: Death (True)2, which is the third edit of Death and Rebirth. Is this true or just a mistake? That's kind of interesting if so, I don't recall if we ever officially got that version.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:26 am Reply with quote
As much as I would love to see Eva on BD, if it's a choice between having Eva on Netflix or Eva not being available at all, I will pick the former over the latter. I say this as a long time Eva fan who already has the series on DVD that I'm still excited about this news because it will make it easier to introduce one of my favorite classics to my friends who haven't seen it yet. My only desire is I wish Netflix had the original Macross instead of Amazon.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:56 am Reply with quote
I'll bet you $10 they market this as a "Netflix Original".
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:38 am Reply with quote
darkdeath174 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Pretty sure Netflix only gets streaming rights to their anime. Shows like Knights of Sidonia and Seven Deadly Sins have gotten Blu-ray releases from Sentai and FUNimation respectively.

Also glad to see they got End of Eva. That means there is a remote chance on a Blu-ray reissue. Manga Entertainment’s ancient and terrible (even for the time) DVD goes for huge $$$.

Netflix and Amazon tend to get full rights, then sell off the ones they aren't interested in, but only after a set time.

The home video licenses are completely separate and Netflix and Amazon never have anything to do with them. Netflix and Amazon never stream the home video versions of their broadcasts and in fact Amazon sub-licenses from Sentai for a few of their shows. The BD version of Knights of Sidonia from Sentai for example, is completely different and more complete than the broadcast TV version of the "Netflix Origial" Knights of Sidonia stream.
Funimation and Sentai and Aniplex (and now Crunchyroll for home video) don't deal with those streaming services for their BD rights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5