• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kemono Friends 2 (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Because the majority of discussion for the show I saw before it even started, included the phrase "No Tatsuki, No Tanashi", like a mantra that was ready to discredit it beforehand.

Why would it even be an underdog over Kemurikusa?

You just answered your own question with your previous statement. You see it as an underdog because you think everyone hated it before it even began. While I'm sure many people never gave it a chance, I also think a lot of the "No Tatsuki" stuff was hoping that Kadokawa would see all the backlash and change their minds. And even if they swore they'd never watch it, it doesn't mean they didn't. Smile

I'm not sure what else to say that I haven't already said about why KF2 was such a slog for me. I rewatched the first two episodes of KF to see if I could put my finger on it, and what stood out to me was that Serval was actually pretty annoying at first, but she, and maybe Otter, were the only ones who were super genki all over the place. Whereas in KF2 everyone was like that (even Panda, when she was awake), cranked up to 11. All anyone wanted to do was play, once their initial curiosity over Kyururu was over. Jesus, the first episode spent a good five minutes on them crossing a crevasse they could've stepped over, then congratulating each other on how great they all jumped. Duck being worried by it was funny, because urban ducks lose their babies down narrow places all the time, but they just drove it into the ground. Kaban's adventures, on the other hand, were all about real problem solving, while emphasizing that different people/Friends have different things they're good at, so it was interesting and heartwarming.

Kemurikusa turned down the genki to about 4, and most of that was embodied by the Rinas. I didn't see the Rinas as hostile (it was Rin who was hostile to Wakaba's presence, due to her defender role), just insensitive to someone they didn't understand. To them he wasn't quite a person, but more of a toy. Kittens playing with a mouse aren't sympathetic to the mouse's feelings, but they don't hate it.

The series was also much darker in its apocalyptic setting, which I liked. But it was beautiful in its details nonetheless. They world's mystery was intriguing, but secondary, as it was in Girl's Last Tour. I didn't find much to look at in the backgrounds of KF2.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
You just answered your own question with your previous statement. You see it as an underdog because you think everyone hated it before it even began. While I'm sure many people never gave it a chance, I also think a lot of the "No Tatsuki" stuff was hoping that Kadokawa would see all the backlash and change their minds. And even if they swore they'd never watch it, it doesn't mean they didn't. Smile

So, I was blinded by seeing it as underdog, because it wasn't the underdog?

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not sure what else to say that I haven't already said about why KF2 was such a slog for me. I rewatched the first two episodes of KF to see if I could put my finger on it, and what stood out to me was that Serval was actually pretty annoying at first, but she, and maybe Otter, were the only ones who were super genki all over the place. Whereas in KF2 everyone was like that (even Panda, when she was awake), cranked up to 11. All anyone wanted to do was play, once their initial curiosity over Kyururu was over. Jesus, the first episode spent a good five minutes on them crossing a crevasse they could've stepped over, then congratulating each other on how great they all jumped. Duck being worried by it was funny, because urban ducks lose their babies down narrow places all the time, but they just drove it into the ground. Kaban's adventures, on the other hand, were all about real problem solving, while emphasizing that different people/Friends have different things they're good at, so it was interesting and heartwarming.

So Genki that the cast also included Caracal, a character meant to dial back on the genki by playing the straight man? Just because Panda moved when she woke up, doesn't mean that is genki, regardless she was low energy. In episode 3, sure Dolphin was a bit you would expect it, but their reward focused interest felt different, since it came as more of an act for a purpose. Vampire bat, Gorilla, stretching it to even say the crocodiles and leopards (also panther) were genki, Kaban and owls, Cheetah mostly confident. The quirks with Armadillo and Giant Pangolin were nothing about being high energy, should have been given for Domestic Dog, but arguably was not overdone, and the hotel trio, that had sneaky bat eared fox, domestic pig who was fine with a could be seen ironic element of cleaning, but smart in that pigs actually are relatively clean, and the snake that was actually pretty low energy. I think that it is an over simplification to say every character was genki, Serval's defining trait.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Kemurikusa turned down the genki to about 4, and most of that was embodied by the Rinas. I didn't see the Rinas as hostile (it was Rin who was hostile to Wakaba's presence, due to her defender role), just insensitive to someone they didn't understand. To them he wasn't quite a person, but more of a toy. Kittens playing with a mouse aren't sympathetic to the mouse's feelings, but they don't hate it.

How long was it before the Rinas stopped saying that they should just kill Wakaba, and would go out of their way for saying he was weird for having such a strong interest in the kemurikusa? Not treating him as something worth respect? The entire deal of the first season of Kemono Friends were Serval helping Kaban find out what she was so that they can find what she is good at. I happen to think that treating someone like a kitten treats a mouse, as a toy, is rather cruel, and not something Kemono Friends did. The closest being the owls wanting Kaban to do human stuff.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So, I was blinded by seeing it as underdog, because it wasn't the underdog?

You seem to have lost the thread of the discussion. You said people only liked Kemurikusa because it was an underdog and that clouded their views, and I said that the same applied to you. You think KF2 is unfairly prejudged, which is exactly what it means to be the underdog. I don't. I don't think Kemurikusa is an underdog either. The playing field looks pretty level from where I sit, so I don't think my perceptions are colored by feelings of siding with an underdog. If you don't think KF2 is an underdog either, then I don't understand why you're so defensive about its qualities and keep insisting that people are treating it unfairly.

I don't think I can explain any further how I perceive the difference in the personalities in KF and Kemurikusa vs how they're presented in KF2. You don't feel that way, and don't seem to be able to see why I do, so it's fruitless to continue on that track.

Do you think kittens are cruel? I think they're just kittens being kittens. Wakaba was not one of them, and they thought he might be an odd type of the monsters they were fighting, but they never harmed him even if their words were insensitive. They weren't any more kind to the roomba dogs, and to them Wakaba was on the same level. If they perceived him as a person like them, then I'd call them cruel. Once they accepted him, they stopped being mean to him. Also, they aren't Friends, so I don't expect them to behave the same way.

Edit: One other thing to keep in mind about the Rinas is that their death threats are not the same as if they came from you or I...or even Rin. They don't view death as a terrible thing. They were practically looking forward to dying, since they'd had a happy life and gotten all the good things to eat. And they weren't at all sad that one of the other Rinas had been killed, since there were more of them and she'd been happy and well fed when alive. To the Rinas, threatening to kill Wakaba was tantamount to threatening to dress him up funny.

Anyway, you asked me to explain, so I tried. I'm clearly not going to convert you, but that's ok since I'm not here to evangelize. It doesn't matter to me if you like KF2 and don't like Kemurikusa. All I wanted was for you to stop accusing people like me who feel the opposite, of having some hidden agenda that determined how we really, secretly felt about each series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2