• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Organizers Say Comiket is No Place for Hate Speech After Anti-Korean, Chinese Stickers Wer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
it depends on the artist.. sometimes you want your comic to reach certain audience.. other times you just hate X people for whatever personal reasons you have so in the end you don't want them to read your stuff.. I know some fan artists like that.. one of them said that Americans have ****y taste in anime and their cartoon network junk fits them better so in the end he decided not to publish his comics in English speaking fan sites. Laughing

Most Japanese artists don't care about publicity or popularity. They draw for the sake of drawing and expressing creativity. A lot of artists will either go private by locking their work behind a locked Twitter account or a paywall like Fantia or Pixiv FANBOX or quit drawing all together when they see things like their art being reposted elsewhere, like Americans who repost it to a booru site. They really hate that. One of my favorite artists I follow basically purged their entire Pixiv/Nijie catelog when they saw people reposing their art and now only draws for a select few fans.

But for doujins specifically another problem is piracy. People who upload it to Sad Panda and the like. There's actually a resource guide for artists which explains how to contact those sites and ask for their work to be take down, complete with a copy-pasted English e-mail they just have to fill in the blanks and provide links to their work. Doujin piracy is pretty rampant in Chinese/Korean/American countries so some artists dont want to bother with them.

AJ (Lord Nikon) wrote:
Yeah, Americans usually do. They are often the first ones to scream racism. Britts, Aussies and Canadians usually come in a close second, third and forth respectably. And, it's a two way street, you will hear a lot of Anti-Japanese rhetoric in S. Korea and China as well

Haha, guess I should have specified I meant from a controversy point of view. I've definitely seen foreigners get all upset when they are refused service. But I've never really seen it labeled as hate speech like this, but then it's only Chinese and Korean stuff that's a sensitive topic there, and vice versa for Japanese stuff in Korea and China
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised about this. Not because of the anti-korean and anti-chinese but what they said in the comiket about no place for hatred. There was one march for Koreans and Chinese to march through Japan to push away the anti and it was in Akihabara. ^^ Many anime/manga fans were happy that it was there and to help draw posters for those that went through the march!

I can understand of only wanting a certain audience but I feel that's too limited.... I feel that creating something should be for those that are willing to truly enjoy and look at the art of what you made. I believe nothing should be limited when it comes to creation. But that's just what I feel. Others would disagree as some artists too. Understandable. Again, just what I feel.

Lord Oink wrote:
Most Japanese artists don't care about publicity or popularity. They draw for the sake of drawing and expressing creativity. A lot of artists will either go private by locking their work behind a locked Twitter account or a paywall like Fantia or Pixiv FANBOX or quit drawing all together when they see things like their art being reposted elsewhere, like Americans who repost it to a booru site. They really hate that. One of my favorite artists I follow basically purged their entire Pixiv/Nijie catelog when they saw people reposing their art and now only draws for a select few fans.

As someone who goes on pixiv a lot and doesn't know Japanese; this upsets me. Because I have a lot of artists I follow. Some that have a locked twitter, some others that keep things private for only their followers. One certain artist, I am still searching for if they still draw. I've never reposted their art but enjoyed looking at their art.
Tbh, I have asked some artists to repost as a profile picture but it's rather hard because there's hardly any templates that ask. I've seen one on tumblr but that's only for reposting for tumblr. Not really asking about profile pictures in other sites....
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Given diverse nature of booths in Comiket, I wouldn't be too surprised to see someone trying to sell item(s) that reflects one's personal political view. However, it's weird that person who tweeted about alleged offensive sticker didn't buy the sticker to prove what he saw, assuming those stickers wouldn't cost much. At least he reported approximate location of the booth and anyone who has access to Comiket 95 Catalog can deduce which circle was involved.

Off the subject, I remember a tweet about elderly couple selling handcrafted Japanese figures/doll which has nothing to do with popular media or fictions. If I ever go to Comiket, I really want to check out those niche tables.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:28 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

As the person mentions in the tweet featured in the article, no pictures were allowed so they couldn’t get evidence. Photography at Comiket circles is normally strictly forbidden.

That's weird. I see people posting photograph of Comiket circles all the time. Even by the circle owners themselves, usually to (proudly) show that their doujins have sold out.

If it's your own circle, it's fine. The point is not to take picture of other circles. Privacy issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2