• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Alita: Battle Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
rtil wrote:
i'm content enough knowing i didn't waste money encouraging it.

So, wow, here you are prejudging the movie, despite everyone who's seen it saying it's the best anime adaptation ever, but you don't want to encourage good adaptations. Well, that's not going to stop hollywood from making bad ones. Maybe encouraging the good ones will, you know, mean more good ones. But hey, it's your option.
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:40 am Reply with quote
The production info under the review presents info for the OAV of Battle Angel, not the live-action movie.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:31 am Reply with quote
"Martian Arts"? Via Edgar Rice Burroughs? Ray Bradbury? Or Martian Successor Nadesico?
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:06 am Reply with quote
Based on other reviews I've watched, I'm not expecting to love this movie. But I'm still gonna give it a chance. I might even check it out in 3D.
MeisterMitch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:43 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:
So, we finally have our first good Hollywood anime adaptation?

I would unironically award that to Speed Racer.

But good adaptation doesn't necessarily equal good reviews or box office.

The consensus of early reviews seems to be that the film is good - problematic, but overall a great time if you're looking for some action.

It seems however that early box office tracking for the domestic market might indicate that the film could bomb, though good word of mouth could save it, and naturally there are the overseas markets to help it break even. But if the returns are low, then Cameron can kiss goodbye any potential franchise from this.

Well I'll be going as soon as I can and for the 3-D. I could use another good 3-D film to add to the collection at home.

But what about Edge of Tomorrow? Was that not Also a Good Adaptation of a Manga, Or is it the fact that it's based off a Light Novel doesn't make it count?

Also, Thanks for the review Zac, will definitely consider going to see it.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:46 am Reply with quote
MeisterMitch wrote:
But what about Edge of Tomorrow? Was that not Also a Good Adaptation of a Manga, Or is it the fact that it's based off a Light Novel doesn't make it count?

I'm guessing because the original source was a light novel that the manga itself was an adaption of, most people don't count it. That said I'm not familiar with either the novel or the manga so I can't say which source the movie was closer to, if either.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:47 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
MeisterMitch wrote:

I'm guessing because the original source was a light novel that the manga itself was an adaption of, most people don't count it. That said I'm not familiar with either the novel or the manga so I can't say which source the movie was closer to, if either.

"All You Need Is Kill" was a regular novel, with no interior illustrations.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:54 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
MeisterMitch wrote:

"All You Need Is Kill" was a regular novel, with no interior illustrations.

Interesting. Wikipedia says it's a light novel with illustrations by Yoshitoshi ABe, but their page for ABe himself only credits him with "cover illustrations" for the book. Seems like some folks there got a bit mixed up then.
Super_M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:09 am Reply with quote
I'm curious about Alita box office performance. If Alita will be success I suspect more anime adaptation. If Alita will be flop I think hollywood wait for box office performance bigger fishes like Naruto, AoT, MHA, Gundam before decide to adapt more anime.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Even if Alita gets mostly good or mixed reviews, I doubt it will get a sequel because even good original sci-fi movies that aren't Star Wars or Marvel comic book movies struggle to be a finacial success. A case in point is Blade Runner 2049 which got near universal positive reviews yet still failed to be a finacial success. I will still try and see this to support quality live action anime remakes and I hope it's at least successful enough to set the gold standard for future anime remakes, especially with that live action Gundam movie that Sunrise has planned.

I think anime/manga are more popular worldwide than american comic books if you exclude hollywood adaptation. So anime/manga have box office potential.

Sorry for my bad english.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
"Martian Arts"? Via Edgar Rice Burroughs? Ray Bradbury? Or Martian Successor Nadesico?

lol

Well guess it's easier to miss-spell "Martian Arts" than type out-Panzer Kunst the powerful cyborg martial art developed on Mars.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:46 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
gridsleep wrote:

lol

Well guess it's easier to miss-spell "Martian Arts" than type out-Panzer Kunst the powerful cyborg martial art developed on Mars.

It’s a pun.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
gridsleep wrote:

lol

It’s a pun.

Razz

(insert high five jpg after this image, because I will never not appreciate an amazing and/or terrible pun)
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Loved that film too. But, yeah, technically it adapts a Japanese novel. So it'd fall under the same category as Martin Scorsce's Silence. In that it was not based on any manga/anime rooted property. But rather literature.

But if we were to look outside Hollywood, then there are other good live action adaptations of manga, such as Chan Wook Park's Oldboy.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...this is a very low bar to clear..

This wouldn't happen to be a James Cameron South Park episode reference, would it?

Laughing

I guess I'll give this movie a go. Not that there's much in the theatre right now that I want to see. Not sure if I'll be flocking to a 3D screening though. Those still aren't very common in my area.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I've been completely disinterested in this in the past--mostly because of a mix of not having read the original manga (or seen the anime), not being a fan of Cameron's work, and just assuming at this point that a Hollywood anime adaptation will be bad. The original look of Alita made that even worse. But hearing such glowing reviews of it...well, let's just say this review made me buy tickets to see it for me and my husband on Valentine's Day. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5