• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Would Crunchyroll Partner With Adult Swim?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
Cutting the cord is not limited to one demographic. People are getting fed up with increasing cable/satellite bills while only regularly watching a fraction of channel lineups offered.

Cutting the cord doesn't mean much anymore. There's so many streaming services and shows fragmented between them that if you sign up for them all you'll be paying the same you were before, if not more.

How long until 'plug the cord back in'?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

Toonami never aired Steins;Gate.
I thought for sure it was on Adult Swim but I must be misremembering.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
There's so many streaming services and shows fragmented between them that if you sign up for them all you'll be paying the same you were before, if not more.

At least you'd have the option to rotate between different service month to month. There's very little reason to stay subscribed to so many at the same time when you can just binge all the best content of each service every few months.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
I see no point in this, Toonami is dedicated to airing extremely dated battle shonen series

Hamtaro, Tenchi Muyo, & Outlaw Star weren't shonen battle series....nor were they dated when they first dropped on the network back in the day.

FlyGuySempai wrote:
and barely even sniff at the chance to air anything new or different if ever

If they don't do that that's only because that's not where the the trends are going. You might like the idea of something say King's Game or Berserk airing on the network but that's not what everyone is watching.

FlyGuySempai wrote:
and its been getting much much worse each year to the point where the block is about 95% shonen anime that literally everyone has seen,

95% of their viewership has seen the dub versions of the shows they air?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Haven't Adult Swim always had little interest in Anime, when they brought it back it was because the staff volunteered to stay after work and run it. And even then they only allocate it a few hours late at night.

I literally opened the article thinking "What, you mean they seriously did??? Shocked "

"Adult Swim cares about anime" is a sad, destructive myth, left over in our DNA memories since the long-ago days of Cowboy Bebop (and then, only because Bandai needed someone to promote their DVD's for them), and have lived on in superstition for twenty years, no matter how actively the real AS has tried to kill it.
(Insert old Funimation/Sgt. Frog grudge here Evil or Very Mad )

But I don't think that's what's going on:
Justin wrote:
As the different brands in WarnerMedia's new "Global Kids & Young Adults" unit start to join forces, I would look for all of those brands -- Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, VRV, Rooster Teeth, Cartoon Network and Boomerang -- to collaborate on more and more, and possibly combining.

What has been going on at Warner/Turner for the past week--thought the article would cover it--is that Warner is "reorganizing their brand", and literally cleaning house with their Turner channels.
"Zombie channels" TBS and TNT are reported to be headed for the scrap pile, Turner Classic Movies will remain as a Warner/MGM classic-movies brand, and the comment that's confused a lot of angry fans this past week was their rebranding a "Kids/YA" brand for Cartoon Network.

What does that mean? (As if it hasn't already been hashed over in detail for the last few days?) It means that A) Warner wants to revive Hanna-Barbera, Tom & Jerry and the Looneys as a stronger house brand, and B) that means defibrillating daytime CN back from the dead with core cartoons again, and get away from their last fifteen years of treating the daytime network as "Fourteen hours when we can't show Adult Swim".
That means taking the Stoner-Cult out of AS, and bringing back the diverse mix of late-night and anime fans they had in '00...But, that brings them back to the big problem, namely that AS doesn't really know or care about anime, and if they have to, they'd rather leave it to somebody else. Y'know, like the days when Pioneer and Bandai would recommend cool DVD titles for them.
That's Crunchyroll's new job, as Official Anime is Teh Geek Experts. They'll dig up new licensed titles for American breakout, hoping to find the next Attack on Titan or My Hero Academia, and AS can get back to their main job of trying to build a Warner cult-audience brand name.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:04 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:
I see no point in this, Toonami is dedicated to airing extremely dated battle shonen series

Hamtaro, Tenchi Muyo, & Outlaw Star weren't shonen battle series....nor were they dated when they first dropped on the network back in the day.

No, but Tenchi and Outlaw were Pioneer and Bandai needing some mainstream DVD-brand exposure badly, and Hamtaro was a free bonus stuck into CN's deal to try and get Inu-Yasha from Viz.
(Speaking of badly outdated never-ending shounen-fight serial to give them a year or two of DBZ-like daily strip-syndication.)

Of course, now that the Bubble's come and gone, and we don't have DVD companies desperate for mainstream title exposure anymore (or at least know the more proper avenues of where to find it besides cable), both DVD companies and AS can go to where the customers are.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
As much as some may feel insulted about the repetitive dubs, that's what a good chunk of anime fans like. If you've ever attended a convention in the southern portion of the US, the guests that they line up for the most are the dub guests. I've attended Animazement in North Carolina for years, and in many cases, the Japanese guests are all but ignored. People line up to meet dubbed Dragonball voice actors in droves while the original Japanese seiyuu, who is also in attendance, is relatively ignored.

If you only go to large West Coast cons, with the exception of Vic pre-scandal, you don't see this as those on the West Coast tend to prefer their sub guests to the dub guests.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:19 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:
I see no point in this, Toonami is dedicated to airing extremely dated battle shonen series and barely even sniff at the chance to air anything new or different if ever and its been getting much much worse each year to the point where the block is about 95% shonen anime that literally everyone has seen, and don't get me started on the almost 10 yr old episodes of Shippuden. Tbh i personally feel Toonami needs to just go by the wayside and cut the cord, their viewership is low, they're too scared and conservative to try anything new and they rerun everything in their catalog to death like its still 2002. Were glad for the memories but Toonami needs to go, maybe streaming an online programming block might help but honestly I doubt it at this point.

Why do you have to look at things so negatively?

I feel this way, too, but on the other hand, such a partnership might help other genres of anime get placed on US TV, on channels for other genres of viewership. Like, a shoujo anime running next to other teen dramas, or a music anime running next to other music shows. To fill gaps on sports channels, instead of paying some talking heads to repeat the same commentary they already gave 10 times, they could air Yowapeda.

Crunchyroll's expertise can get this arranged in a way that would work.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this means adult swim can get more anime on TV with less repeats of shows that have been, or look like they're on the path to having been, on the channel for decades?

I also hope some non anime as stuff shows up on CR. I don't have cable but years ago when I did, I liked some of their shows. I'd check out some stuff if it showed up there.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if Dragon Ball Super is still in new episodes or reruns yet, but assuming that's still new dubbed episodes, the only anime Toonami is currently airing reruns of are Pop Team Epic and Gundan IBO which are both the last shows of the block. Shippuden is currently on the last filler in arc of the anime before it gets to the series finale.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Like OP mentioned, this makes sense from a synergy perspective. Our only benefit is probably more dubs from Crunchyroll.

However, Toonami is essentially dead. I've cable (because of family) but it isn't necessary for an anime fan. Funimation + HiDive + Crunchyroll = ~$14/month. Even if you add Netflix is only ~$28/month. Cable can't compete on price so no need for cable to get your anime fix.

The only thing Toonami has going for itself is the fact that they secured an exclusive 13-episode head start with Dragon Ball Super. Otherwise, there would be no reason to watch Toonami.

About con guests, it isn't just the south man. People in the West Coast line-up to meet the English VAs as well. Always full. It's really nice that AX gets JP VAs. Last year, I saw Yuuki Kaji. It was cool but not cooler than meeting the English VAs of JoJo, DBS, Overlord & Lelouch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2