• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ace Attorney

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Is the anime worth checking out if you've never played the games or should I just jump straight into the games and skip the show?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
You more or less get the same story barring some minor and major changes (like the localization for the games which is an optional thing for the anime) so you can't go wrong either way.

Though of course there are 6 games 10 if you count the 2 spin-off titles and 2 prequel titles (I know about the Layton crossover but that doesn't count) So if you get into the series via the games know you got a bit of work on your hands if you get hooked.
cfalcon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:56 am Reply with quote
As someone who played all the US-released Ace Attorney games and forced myself to watch all of S1 of the anime, I agree with Paul's points that the animation is terrible and the show is less compelling since it's not as interactive (plus if you played the games then you may remember the outcome of the case).

I also second the comments above pointing out that the Japanese law system is heavily stacked in favor of prosecutors. As a side note, they only bring cases to court when sure of victory.

At any rate, I'm happy to see that the games (which are uniformly outstanding) have reached a wider audience with the recent port to PC. If you haven't played any of the games, then I highly encourage you try one instead of wasting your time with this anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2