• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Unveils Sailor Moon Stars Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
It still feels surreal that Sailor Stars is finally getting an English dub. But better late than never. Still, it's a season that I have some rather mixed feelings on that will be discussed in great length once it gets reviewed over here.
Did ANN ever do a review of SuperS part 2?

Quote:
I wish they were able to dub the songs on the other seasons. Never understood why they weren't allowed to do so.
Viz has only been able to dub the songs that were sang by the characters which they have done for the previous seasons. They dubbed Rei singing Hottokenai Yo and Eien no Melody in episode 54 and they dubbed Minako singing Route Venus in episode 154.
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
So I remember a lot of controversy about the poor video quality from the first series release years ago. Did they ever fix that or is it still an issue.

Video was still an issue with R. I am not sure about S. I don't remember glaring issues with Super S. I imagine that Sailor Stars should have good quality. I imagine that the video on the subsequent BD's was less bad because of the age of the episodes, not so much because Viz Media decided to proactively fix it.

I believe it was the masters Viz was provided. The Japanese blu rays for all the seasons released so far have excellent quality, as well as the prior Japanese DVD releases. Viz messed up the first season DVD through a weird compression that forced the video to be compressed into 4:3 within a letter box. The ghosting issue was fixed from R, and the quality was much improved for SuperS. Each season seems to differ with Viz but if SuperS was any indications stars should be ok. Nothing matches the Japanese releases though except the Italian.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I hope Viz fixed some of the weird mouth errors on the Stars Hulu stream for the home video release.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I wish I was excited about this, but I'm mainly buying the blu Ray just to add it to my collection.

El Hermano wrote:
So I remember a lot of controversy about the poor video quality from the first series release years ago. Did they ever fix that or is it still an issue.

Seasons 1-S still look bad but SuperS on Blu-ray is an improvement over the Hulu streams because Viz managed to get the Japanese upscale for that season's Blu-ray releases (just like Madman in Australia did so their quality is similar) so there's no frozen grain in stills that affected some mouth movements (like episode 154) and the beginning previews are back in their proper place before the opening matching the old Pioneer/Geneon and R2 DVDs. The only sad thing is that the colors are not corrected but then that has been a Toei problem since the R2 DVDs (see also season 1's red tint)...which kinda sucks because their upscale of Slam Dunk actually fixed the color problem for that show's Blu-ray Boxes.

It'll be interesting when Stars come out because in addition to the known problems, the masters on Hulu was missing an eyecatch in each episode so if they have the Japanese upscale, will that be restored?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I’m beyond hyped to finally own this legally.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
It still feels surreal that Sailor Stars is finally getting an English dub. But better late than never. Still, it's a season that I have some rather mixed feelings on that will be discussed in great length once it gets reviewed over here.

considering that it wasnt even released in the 90's, those discussions will more or less be kinda irrelevant in this era.

though the real question is on whether or not the same stars cast will be there when its crystal's turn???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
@Cardcaptor Takato

Thanks for the info! Got some hunting to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2