• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What would you suggest a new anime fan to watch? And why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UTKipp1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
Gensouori wrote:
I don't think the three """"gate way""" (I.E Naruto, Bleach, One Piece) ((That's how I saw them, at least.) anime is a good way to get started. So I would like to ask the question, what would you suggest a newcomer to watch?

For me, I would suggest they watch something light-hearted and funny, such as Kiniro Mosaic or Nichijou, possibly even Yuru Yuri to an extent.

I would suggest Berserk, High School of the Dead and The Qwaser Of Stigmata. The gradations of Anime in Japan don’t really apply in the West but what you must understand is that there’s a huge amount of variety in between Pokémon for kiddies who like happiness and cute animals and Danganronpa for people who enjoy ultraviolence. The stuff that is on Cartoon Network is generally old and sanitized for a general audience- believe me, I have extensive experience in watching what they have to offer, and while it’s gotten better in recent years, there’s a lot of stuff that isn’t too good and only on CN because the rights were cheap.

Really you have to ask yourself what sort of anime appeals to you before renting a new series. Do you like fighting anime like Naruto or DBZ? Do you like something cerebral like Ghost in the Shell? Some people enjoy mixing it up and trying something new, which is more often surprisingly good at times, though occasionally you might be bored or sickened. Myself, I derived great pleasure once in watching the OVA Space Pirate Captain Harlock, with the sound off, while nude in the dark and listening to my favorite Rush album. Another time, I stayed up for 3 days to binge-watch several seasons of Bleach and probably wasted my life, looking back. To each, his own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2