• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: LaLaport Numazu Removes 'Sexualizing' Panel of Love Live! Sunshine!!'s Chika

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:21 am Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe someone got worked up over this...
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:12 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Wow, I can't believe someone got worked up over this...

The general public these days get worked up over anything that exists these days. Then of course you have social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc. along with Change.org where those people can post anything negative about it and become very demanding. Like the Japanese style games are always being censored when localized to outside Japan just because someone on Twitter says oh no we can’t have that in the game and then these companies are like well ok then we will remove it because you say so even though those people are not actually fans but pretending that they are just to anger the fans. But those people on social media sites who say this stuff don’t seem to get that the content they want removed still exists in Japan.

It’s like Artists and Creators in Japan are becoming to a point where if it’s not kid-friendly, they are not allowed to have an imagination with their art. Like an outline of a crotch is not the same as actually showing the crotch area exposed. It was just an innocent picture that social media turning something innocent into being perverted.
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:27 am Reply with quote
Lol at all the butthurt in the comments. I suggest y'all click on the original tweet and read some of the responses to it, there's a lot of thoughtful comments on it. In particular, a decent number of female Love Live fans felt uncomfortable with the male gaze-y aspects of the crotch hugging fabric. Is it not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things? Yeah, probably, but the displeasure from the Japanese public was genuine, whether they were familiar with LL or not.

It's time to retire this notion that Japan is somehow this "pure", "anti-Shonen Jump Weekly" country free of "Western politics". Japan's always had feminism and other related social/cultural movements, and it's always had its own discussions about sexism, racism, homophobia, etc etc. Just because it has different standards for portraying sexuality doesn't mean it's divorced from broader discussions about portraying sexuality, and trying to pretend one of the biggest nations in the world today is somehow "apolitical" is some real Orientalist bullshit. Japan isn't your safe space fantasy land free from eeeeeevil Western progressivism, it's a developed country with its own political and cultural movements going on. Always has been, always will be. Get used to it.
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
On an unrelated note, I just realized my attempt to write person who cares about social justice was translated by the site as Shonen Jump Weekly, lol. ANN really knows how to troll the trolls.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
The Anime Binge-Watcher wrote:
Lol at all the butthurt in the comments. I suggest y'all click on the original tweet and read some of the responses to it, there's a lot of thoughtful comments on it. In particular, a decent number of female Love Live fans felt uncomfortable with the male gaze-y aspects of the crotch hugging fabric. Is it not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things? Yeah, probably, but the displeasure from the Japanese public was genuine, whether they were familiar with LL or not.

It's time to retire this notion that Japan is somehow this "pure", "anti-Shonen Jump Weekly" country free of "Western politics". Japan's always had feminism and other related social/cultural movements, and it's always had its own discussions about sexism, racism, homophobia, etc etc. Just because it has different standards for portraying sexuality doesn't mean it's divorced from broader discussions about portraying sexuality, and trying to pretend one of the biggest nations in the world today is somehow "apolitical" is some real Orientalist bullshit. Japan isn't your safe space fantasy land free from eeeeeevil Western progressivism, it's a developed country with its own political and cultural movements going on. Always has been, always will be. Get used to it.

Ironically the initial outrage came from a Japanese model living in California, and boosted by an American living in Japan, personally I believe this is more a reaction to internet outrage then anyone living in Numazu. I still think it’s a shame and quite the over reaction to pretty tame imagery.
faboo95

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:32 am Reply with quote
Number #821189 wrote:
You all asked for this. Congratulations.

This. When people say the minor censorships in anime and games aren't harmful, this is exactly where it leads to. It's a slippery slope and this is just the beginning.
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:41 am Reply with quote
faboo95 wrote:
Number #821189 wrote:
You all asked for this. Congratulations.

This. When people say the minor censorships in anime and games aren't harmful, this is exactly where it leads to. It's a slippery slope and this is just the beginning.
First they came for the cow tits, and I did not speak out, for I did not have cow tits.
Then they came for the fifteen-year-old crotch silhouettes, and I did not speak out because I was not fifteen.
Then they didn't come for the actual pedophiles like the author of Ruroni Kenshin, which seems like a far more pressing outrage in the grand scheme of things so maybe we should curb the hyperbole over wank fantasies getting 0.1% less wankable. Rolling Eyes
RealMTL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:42 am Reply with quote
I honestly never even noticed that was a part of the design. I wonder if they'll actually go with the redesign?
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:01 am Reply with quote
RealMTL wrote:
I honestly never even noticed that was a part of the design. I wonder if they'll actually go with the redesign?

No they just took down all the signage and ended the event.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:27 am Reply with quote
I’m not even bothered that they took this down, but I can’t imagine living life being so offended at everything that something as silly as this sign bothers you.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:30 am Reply with quote
This is why social media should be avoided, it's bad for business and is nothing but a tool for censorship. The genie (social media) needs to be put back in the bottle and buried in the Earth's mantle as it's become too dangerous for society.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:35 am Reply with quote
It was pretty bizarre in the first place. Like, I don't actually find it problematic (I've seen enough sign tight suits in my life that the "outline of the crotch" issue just sounds silly), but I've never worn a skirt that does that and LL! is enjoyed by boys and girls alike in Japan, so it was likely just a personal choice of the artist rather than a marketing tactic. Awkward art could use some fixing.

Besides, maybe it's just me, but skirts that don't hug the body like magnets, but rather are subject to gravity that gives the illusion of bigger hips are muuuuuuch sexier. =P
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
It was pretty bizarre in the first place. Like, I don't actually find it problematic (I've seen enough sign tight suits in my life that the "outline of the crotch" issue just sounds silly), but I've never worn a skirt that does that and LL! is enjoyed by boys and girls alike in Japan, so it was likely just a personal choice of the artist rather than a marketing tactic. Awkward art could use some fixing.

Besides, maybe it's just me, but skirts that don't hug the body like magnets, but rather are subject to gravity that gives the illusion of bigger hips are muuuuuuch sexier. =P

I’ve heard that idol skirts are designed differently so as not to reveal undergarments while dancing. Still, I doubt they look like what is presented in the ad.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
It clearly didn't look right. If they truly wanted to show something, they should have used a different type of clothing.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Shadows are really offensive. Everyone knows that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6