• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Top 5 Netflix Anime You Should Bingewatch Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I realize that this isn't the first week where user polls were back, but I kept forgetting to comment...

I'm glad you guys put the user poll follow ups back.
ayashe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Your friendly Code Geass expert checking in to say Charles is an Emperor, not a king, and he has more wives than children. Code Geass is still my favorite anime of all time, and if you’re on the fence about watching it, don’t listen to the haters.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass, overrated? Absolutely not. Perfect choice for a marathon.

Now, Your Lie in April? That's overrated. After hearing so much about it, I was thoroughly disappointed that it didn't even elicit a single tear. I suppose if you're into music, it'll make a bigger impact, but that's pretty much it. If you're looking to board a roller-coaster of emotions, Violet Evergarden is much better in almost every regard.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:38 pm Reply with quote
March Comes In Like a Lion, Violet Evergarden, K-On!, but not on Netflix. Netflix has been more harmful to anime than good for it and everyone should buy the home video for anime instead of watching on Netflix
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
March Comes In Like a Lion, Violet Evergarden, K-On!, but not on Netflix. Netflix has been more harmful to anime than good for it and everyone should buy the home video for anime instead of watching on Netflix

While I can appreciate the sentiment of promoting home video, these examples illustrate why most will not do so for most series they watch, let alone for the first time. For those of us in the US, there is as of yet no home video release of Violet Evergarden, unless we import it from, say, Australia (and get a player that can actually play the appropriate region). March Comes In Like a Lion was released by Aniplex in 4 volumes, available on Right Stuf for $130...each, or a total of $520. Getting the entire series of K-On is substantially cheaper, but will still cost around $100, enough for several months of a Netflix subscription (or more than a year of other streaming services). If you can afford to do so and feel strongly about the series, by all means buy it on home video, but there is a reason people will stream more series than they buy on home video. And while I don’t prefer the way Netflix releases the titles they license, Netflix has probably brought anime to the eyes of more viewers than any other streaming services. At least, every casual anime fan I’ve encountered in my life in recent years watches anime via Netflix, so I’m not so certain it has done more harm than good.
zatheus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I started re-watching The Seven Deadly Sins. Violet Evergarden and Haikyu!!are ones that are still on my list to watch. Also currently in the middle of watching Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple, but that is on Amazon. Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day and A Silent Voice are ones that I just got done watching for the first time, and damn, I shouldn't have watched those so close together.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I'd agree with your lie in april, but that is about it.
Code Geass completely falls apart during its 2nd season (which is a shame TBH), and having screened the other titles I can't say I would recommend any of the others.

Code Geass has a good ending, despite the weaker second season, so by definition it cannot "completely fall apart". I'm definitely getting too old for this, but I can still fight anyone in a televised deathmatch over that subject any day of the week. Cool

Besides, opinions about the series aside, the show is quite suitable for marathoning. Even post-broadcast, you run into plenty of people, both old and new viewers, who still binge-watch it these days. That aspect of the show has absolutely stood the test of time in practice.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:32 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Now, Your Lie in April? That's overrated. After hearing so much about it, I was thoroughly disappointed

I'm generally not able to like things if I hear too much hype about them beforehand, but this is especially true for Your Lie In April. Though it's one of my favorites, and the only one I really like from this article's list, its story is relatively predictable, so if you go into it expecting groundbreaking originality, you'll end up feeling cheated. The execution--acting, animation, and obviously the music--is what makes it good. The same is largely true of Violet Evergarden, honestly, especially certain popular episodes.

Code Geass, meanwhile, is one of many anime where I can understand why it's popular, but it doesn't work that well for me beyond cheesy entertainment value. And I could have sworn Haikyu was a basketball anime. Maybe this is one of those Berenstain Bears parallel universe things.
cchigu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:36 am Reply with quote
I mean if 3-gatsu no Lion is not even mentioned, I really doubt your sanity. It is by far the best TV Show I have ever watched, well either this or Gintama.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:32 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I'm actually suprised Netflix has this many good anime, though. Was hard to pick 3 for the poll.

They don't, or at least they don't have as many as the poll would suggest. People are just writing in whatever they like and totally ignoring the Netflix part. Double check before taking part in the poll because non-Netflix titles should be routed out of the results.

I ended up voting for K-On, Ouran, and writing in Gurren Lagann.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:48 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
I'm actually suprised Netflix has this many good anime, though. Was hard to pick 3 for the poll.

They don't, or at least they don't have as many as the poll would suggest. People are just writing in whatever they like and totally ignoring the Netflix part. Double check before taking part in the poll because non-Netflix titles should be routed out of the results.

I ended up voting for K-On, Ouran, and writing in Gurren Lagann.

Emerje

Actually, all but 4 of the 44 choices (excluding the obvious joke answer) so far are actually on Netflix. Black Lagoon, Mushi-shi, Natsume's Book of Friends, and Toradora are the only ones that aren't, at least as I could find in the US.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:43 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Actually, all but 4 of the 44 choices (excluding the obvious joke answer) so far are actually on Netflix. Black Lagoon, Mushi-shi, Natsume's Book of Friends, and Toradora are the only ones that aren't, at least as I could find in the US.

Two of those four, Toradora and Natsume, were ones I was going to vote for before I double checked so maybe my sample is a bit skewed. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop But I'm thinking there'll be more by the time the poll ends.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:01 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
So, is the assumption here that everyone's already seen Neon Genesis Evangelion? Also, I don't have Netflix but apparently they have Kill la Kill as well.

Yeah, the idea was to not just recommend the most obvious stuff.

Wouldn't Code Geass fall under that category?
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:32 am Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
If all you've got is Netflix to watch streamed anime, I would recommend:

Fate/Zero
Fate/Stay Night [Unlimited Blade Works]
B: The Beginning
Knights of Sidonia
K-On
Inu Yasha
Violet Evergarden
Code: Geass
MS Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
MS Gundam Unicorn

I agree with all of those except Iron Blooded Orphans. Season 1 was great but Season 2 was just awful and just kept getting worse by each episode.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:00 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Zac wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
So, is the assumption here that everyone's already seen Neon Genesis Evangelion? Also, I don't have Netflix but apparently they have Kill la Kill as well.

Yeah, the idea was to not just recommend the most obvious stuff.

Wouldn't Code Geass fall under that category?

It's an inherent problem trying to recommend the best stuff that isn't the most obvious stuff. The best member / most popular member of that set is arguably going to be on the list of most obvious stuff (unless you're setting the bar too low, in which case people argue that you left out something that wasn't most obvious.) Compare it to the old inductive proof that all numbers are interesting.

Anyway, it's a mild complaint, but if the idea is to not just recommend the most obvious stuff that shouldn't need introduction/summary/recommending, I would put in a small statement briefly noting the ones you're skipping over, especially for people who don't realize that title X (e.g. Eva) is on Netflix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3