• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's the Point of Isekai? The Cultural Implications of the Genre

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murgleis1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Great article. Just reiterates why I like Re:Zero so much - it plays a lot with tropes but still tells a compelling story and also pointedly criticizes the very type of "fan" described in the article. Anyone who has been following the anime or Light Novels knows what I'm talking about. Very Happy

This also makes me look forward to Mushoku Tensei (Jobless Reincarnation), the OG isekai that all of these other stories keep ripping off. It has a great story underneath all the power fantasy silliness.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
XaelOstigian wrote:
This reads less like an article, and more like a dissertation about why isekai is still so popular in the social context...
I agree. I think the question in the tagline was never answered as there seemed to be no exposition on what the social/cultural implications of the popularity of isekai was (outside the assertion that fans are enamored with tropes). I can do that in a sentence: people are feeling bored, marginalized, frustrated and impotent. They desperately want to put themselves in a world not as boring and frustrating as this one where their interests and abilities aren't counted as worthless and instead are touted as powerful, giving them the sense of worth they crave.

While the writer seems to want to convince the reader that this sort of fiction has been abundant and has been around literally forever by repeating that multiple times, there is no evidence given. I'd counter that he/we are talking about this now rather than someone having done the same in the 1800's is because this sort of fiction has literally exploded in the last decade or so in terms of volume. It must mean something then right? And indeed it does but that goes beyond just acknowledging that it is popular and came from a fanfic website. Let's talk about what has happened in the last few decades that has left a vast number of people feeling as I mentioned that has fueled the rise of this genre. Otherwise, OK article on the popularity of isekai...
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
They desperately want to put themselves in a world not as boring and frustrating as this one where their interests and abilities aren't counted as worthless and instead are touted as powerful, giving them the sense of worth they crave.

While the writer seems to want to convince the reader that this sort of fiction has been abundant and has been around literally forever by repeating that multiple times, there is no evidence given.

Escapism isn't answered by just one genre. For instance, in western media superhero fiction has and still is a large source of escapist media. Idk, if superhero fiction was ever big in the east but it has definitely reduced like a lot of other anime genres that possessed escapist themes, and nature abhors a vacuum.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:12 pm Reply with quote
murgleis1 wrote:
Great article. Just reiterates why I like Re:Zero so much - it plays a lot with tropes but still tells a compelling story and also pointedly criticizes the very type of "fan" described in the article. Anyone who has been following the anime or Light Novels knows what I'm talking about. Very Happy

This also makes me look forward to Mushoku Tensei (Jobless Reincarnation), the OG isekai that all of these other stories keep ripping off. It has a great story underneath all the power fantasy silliness.

Tappei Nagatsuki has even said that he's indebted to Mushoku Tensei himself, and that he's been a fan of the series for a long time.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Interesting article. ANN has been doing a wonderful job finding interesting viewpoints to present in video form with this series.

It's very nice to see someone track something like isekai to a major source like the "website you've never heard of but have probably seen something adapted from", particularly in service to the question: "in what context was this created in, and what were the circumstances of the creators?".

Dark Mac wrote:
Why's the preview picture from Princess Connect even though it's not an isekai?

Isn't the preview image in the ANN banner from one of those "reincarnated as a slime" shows? And the youtube preview image is from the Rem-and-Ram show, I think?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Dark Mac wrote:
Why's the preview picture from Princess Connect even though it's not an isekai?

Isn't the preview image in the ANN banner from one of those "reincarnated as a slime" shows? And the youtube preview image is from the Rem-and-Ram show, I think?

The original preview picture here was from Princess Connect.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:41 am Reply with quote
I think it's a bit of a mistake to see the Gary-Stu-ish storylines of most iseikai and immediately assume that its presence is due to the reader wanting to fantasize about being that character without exploring other factors:
    The genre was built on the mechanism of commenting on the tropes and cliches of traditional and contemporary J-fantasy, particularly gaming and gaming-derived version, through applying the obvious loopholes and exploits. It can be considered the same appeal as seeing people exploit glitches in video games to do amazing things, by they speedruns or pure sillyness.
    The structure of isekai makes it hilariously easy to come up with a compelling concept, as all you have to do is come up with some assumption in JRPG's or other isekai and then flout it. The "power that seems useless is actually OP" is the most obvious example, but there's also the whole subgenre of finding different types of characters to send back in time, such as yakuza and totally-not-Golgo. That appeal lasts about one chapter, at which point the author needs to keep escalating (often by skewing the "useless" power to the point of being generic omnipotence) and come up with some sort of appeal beyond the premise, which is usually T&A.
    Most of the writers are amateur hobbyists. While amateur light-novels are generally written with more external motivations than fanfic (being written to appeal to an audience rather than be the author's own wanking material), there's still the lack or experience and seriousness, and some of the same lack of the ability to resist the appeal of just writing themselves into the story to dominate and live out fantasies. This often arises in the now-what phase mentioned in the previous issue.

Supporting these alternate explanations are how many of these stories are dropped around the third chapter with comments about how the premise sounded interesting but was immediately made irrelevant and the story became generic pap and the most popular isekai being those that torture the main character or send Truck-kun after a different type of character from the usual otaku. Supporting the conventional explanation is how frequent the main character completely blows everyone's mind with very basic Japanese cooking (almost always fried rice, as I don't think the Japanese know about pilafs and hispanophone dishes), often with the isekai not even having much of a food culture to speak of.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
article wrote:
syosetsu.com

It’s actually “syosetu.com” (I tested syosetsu.com to see if it redirected but it gave me an article from The Mirror instead, for some reason)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:15 pm Reply with quote
This is very simple, yet the article takes many paragraphs to get down to it.

We're told X, Y Z matter in our lives. We see it not pan out. So we wonder what really does matter? Picking up someone out of one world and dropping them in another is the perfect test bed. These shows often heavily rely on the protag stopping and assuming how he/she thinks should apply to the old world. If we're all being taught useless crap, let's put the characters in a setting and see what stands up. Does operating a smartphone actually have any value? How do our modern priorities overlap or contrast? Often times as much ass the modern protag bring back something neat from the future, the people long ago or far away have a corresponding rustic lesson to teach.

In short, Isekai is asking if modernity is worth it?

We've had these trends before. Kids pilot robots because they bring their idealism to struggles of cruel logic. Each in turn must adopt part of the other to survive.

I'm not going to do a series by series breakdown as variants will hold up in all cases.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
...Escapism isn't answered by just one genre. For instance, in western media superhero fiction has and still is a large source of escapist media. Idk, if superhero fiction was ever big in the east but it has definitely reduced like a lot of other anime genres that possessed escapist themes, and nature abhors a vacuum.
I believe isekai is a particular version of escapism distinctly different from superhero but yes, I didn't mean to imply exclusivity. The article asked what the cultural implications of the rise of isekai as a genre was but recent times have seen the rise of several genres which I think have similar roots. A lot depends on how a genre is used frame a story too.

For instance, science fiction can be escapist (literally physically travelling to another world) but it can also be used to reflect on and highlight aspects of the current state of our world by way of contrast. Iseaki has been used in those ways too but the recent trend to postulate worlds that are patterned after computer games and frame the "gamer" protagonist as the best, most powerful and generally most capable in that setting I think speaks more to aspects of individual psyche. Superhero fantasy can be used in a related way by having the audience insert protagonist be physically more powerful, capable, valuable to society, etc. And boy, has Marvel demonstrated how that has caught the popular imagination in recent times.

Personally, I'd be interested in an article that actually considers why SciFi/Superhero/Isekai and the ilk have grown so much in recent times, how they are related and what they imply about the condition of society.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2