• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Phantom Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:27 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
The idea that these anniversary releases succeeding would lead to an official English release of Mother 3 is hardly plausible.

I agree., Mother 3 is the very definition of a pipe dream. The game has two main factors against it. One, the franchise is simply not popular in America; Earthbound was a huge financial flop for NoA, and two, the Magypsie elements pretty much ensure it's not being released in America without heavy changes, if at all.

There's plenty other Japan-only Nintendo games I would wager get this treatment before Mother 3. But at the same time, I really don't like this Nintendo Vault thing either. And it's such an odd thing to do. If they were limited physical releases from Limited Run Games then I would completely understand, but limited digital releases is absurd. Regardless, I doubt we'll be getting any games that haven't already been translated by the fan community. Fire Emblem 1 has been available for over a decade. So it's not as if we'll be enslaved to these oddly anti-consumer practices or anything if people are really against it.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Phantom Breaker will probably end up as a mediocre fighter, but they sure did secure a top tier anime voice cast. I guess all these actors getting limited studio work thanks to the pandemic is working to their advantage.

Emerje

As far as I remember from the PS3 port, which I picked up used years ago but never played much, the main draw of Phantom Breaker apart from the guest characters is its simplified input system which uses button combinations for specials so you don't need quarter-circles, etc. (The beat-em-up actually preserves a lot of its systems and inputs.) That was sort of novel at the time it first came out, but a bunch of games have done it since, including at least one that's free to play for basic online versus.
Hopefully this new version won't have the original's kind of annoying character unlock requirements where you had to clear arcade mode with specific characters while completing combo challenges, etc. against the CPU opponents.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:51 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:
The idea that these anniversary releases succeeding would lead to an official English release of Mother 3 is hardly plausible.

I agree., Mother 3 is the very definition of a pipe dream. The game has two main factors against it. One, the franchise is simply not popular in America; Earthbound was a huge financial flop for NoA, and two, the Magypsie elements pretty much ensure it's not being released in America without heavy changes, if at all.

There's plenty other Japan-only Nintendo games I would wager get this treatment before Mother 3. But at the same time, I really don't like this Nintendo Vault thing either. And it's such an odd thing to do. If they were limited physical releases from Limited Run Games then I would completely understand, but limited digital releases is absurd. Regardless, I doubt we'll be getting any games that haven't already been translated by the fan community. Fire Emblem 1 has been available for over a decade. So it's not as if we'll be enslaved to these oddly anti-consumer practices or anything if people are really against it.

Mother 3 was an over generalization. The point simply was thats the most popular one that never made it over to North America and there's plenty of others that could be affected all due to a boycott if we don't support this. (I still want geneaology of the holy war for example among others)
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:

Mother 3 was an over generalization. The point simply was thats the most popular one that never made it over to North America and there's plenty of others that could be affected all due to a boycott if we don't support this. (I still want geneaology of the holy war for example among others)

Genealogy of the Holy War is way more realistic than Mother 3. Its characters are featured in a successful mobile game, for one thing. If it ever gets an official release (not that there aren't already ways to play it), it will probably have more to do with that than with anything else.
You're also the only person who's said the word "boycott" in this thread. Everyone who complained just said it's a shitty business practice and that it would be bad if it became a regular thing. I even specifically said that the physical artbook and goodies look great for big fans of the game. I personally will not be buying either because I've played FE1 in Japanese, don't think it's aged particularly well, and have absolutely no desire to revisit it. Anyone who does want to play it again on Switch with some quality of life features that look about on-par with the recent ports of PS1 Final Fantasy games might as well pick it up (although if you don't care about those, the original version is already included in the Famicom app, which works fine with a US or EU subscription). The idea that people should buy or not buy it due to nebulous potential future ports, however, is alarmist and unrealistic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2