• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: MediBang Responds to Allegations Regarding Low Translation Pay Rates

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:31 am Reply with quote
It's actually pretty difficult to work as a translator from a rural apartment: professional development and skills maintenance become significantly harder and more expensive. You need to keep in touch with how both your languages are changing.

Guile: do you have any professional-level or trade skills? Stuff that you had to study for a couple of solid years to get, things that most people can't do at all, that people will pay you for.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
This seems more like a poor attempt at damage control rather than actual reassurance, as stated in the article itself their is a lot of red flags you can notice in terms of what is actually stipulated in the contract and not a lot of direct assurance or targets that can guide beginners who start working could opt for advancement and increase pay rise, not even a guarantee.

Agreed. They even contradict themselves--their followup statement claims they have different employees for lettering, redrawing, cleaning, etc.--yet the original offer certainly seemed to demand all of that work for a measly 120 yen. If you ask me they put their foot in their mouth even worse this time. That level of pay is just insulting.

As for the livable wage angle. I don't believe that it's fair to call a livable wage "weasel words", but I think Guile raises some good points. How exactly would a "living wage" solve this problem? Obviously nobody is talking about mansions and private jets but the basic cost of living varies widely around the world. Should a translator living in Manhattan be paid more than one living in Delhi even though they may have equal skill? Where exactly is this measurement to set a living wage taken? Wherever you choose to take it it puts some people at a disadvantage over others: if it's an average fixed rate period then people living in expensive areas aren't receiving enough while people living in areas with low costs of living are overpaid. If it's set locally then firms will simply choose not to hire people living in high cost-of-living areas and will favor those living in places with lower costs. And despite the fact that the idea sounds great on the surface--it sure would be nice if everyone could live comfortably doing what they want to do--the economic reality does not back it up. A fixed "living wage" creates a floor in the value of labor. That floor must be higher than the equilibrium wage (what people are paid without a "living wage" or minimum) otherwise it's pointless to even have such a policy at all. That difference between the two becomes unemployment. The higher you set the floor (living wage) over the equilibrium the more unemployment you get. In the case of translating manga that would likely mean that those few translators lucky enough (or skilled enough) to be hired for big-name titles would receive a pay raise while niche titles would simply be dropped and nobody gets hired to translate them.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:
This seems more like a poor attempt at damage control rather than actual reassurance, as stated in the article itself their is a lot of red flags you can notice in terms of what is actually stipulated in the contract and not a lot of direct assurance or targets that can guide beginners who start working could opt for advancement and increase pay rise, not even a guarantee.

Agreed. They even contradict themselves--their followup statement claims they have different employees for lettering, redrawing, cleaning, etc.--yet the original offer certainly seemed to demand all of that work for a measly 120 yen. If you ask me they put their foot in their mouth even worse this time. That level of pay is just insulting.

As for the livable wage angle. I don't believe that it's fair to call a livable wage "weasel words", but I think Guile raises some good points. How exactly would a "living wage" solve this problem? Obviously nobody is talking about mansions and private jets but the basic cost of living varies widely around the world. Should a translator living in Manhattan be paid more than one living in Delhi even though they may have equal skill? Where exactly is this measurement to set a living wage taken? Wherever you choose to take it it puts some people at a disadvantage over others: if it's an average fixed rate period then people living in expensive areas aren't receiving enough while people living in areas with low costs of living are overpaid. If it's set locally then firms will simply choose not to hire people living in high cost-of-living areas and will favor those living in places with lower costs. And despite the fact that the idea sounds great on the surface--it sure would be nice if everyone could live comfortably doing what they want to do--the economic reality does not back it up. A fixed "living wage" creates a floor in the value of labor. That floor must be higher than the equilibrium wage (what people are paid without a "living wage" or minimum) otherwise it's pointless to even have such a policy at all. That difference between the two becomes unemployment. The higher you set the floor (living wage) over the equilibrium the more unemployment you get. In the case of translating manga that would likely mean that those few translators lucky enough (or skilled enough) to be hired for big-name titles would receive a pay raise while niche titles would simply be dropped and nobody gets hired to translate them.

You pointed out something I'm familiar with because I actually like some of those niche titles - and fansubs of those manga are either tough to find, unreliable, or just not available. Good manga too that nobody ends up reading or hearing about sadly - authors that deserve a chance. Its really just one of the tragedies of the business that if you increase costs, companies will cut to be profitable. I think that the wages reported by these translators is low (especially when it seems like its being abused by constantly hiring entry level folks), but I also know that the people that just tell us that its an easy fix with minimum wage laws, etc., really don't comprehend all of the effects of stuff like this. Its like raising the minimum wage for people working at McDonalds. Did that help? Nope, they just reduced staff and automated more things. Economics is tricky, there is no easy answer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2