• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Does Vlad Love Scratch That Nostalgia Itch?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
The show is weird, and I don't think binging it does any favours, because you are bound to feel some level of overloaded. One of the comments I made was about how Mai's character itself is especially odd, because it is almost like we don't get enough of what is actually in her head, instead of every other character imposing some idea of her, and dramatic shifts from drinking a different blood. The parts we actually do get of her seem to show someone who might actually be pretty petty over a dislike for a step-mother, and does whatever she wants for the attentions or what is most convenient. And I can't tell if this is meant to be some sort of on purpose statement of the magical girlfriend trope. It is not even evident if she actually likes Bamba.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:50 pm Reply with quote
At one point Oshii was really obsessed with Fallout 4, so much so that he missed some of his deadlines.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little late to read the article and reply, but I should mention that this anime is based on a 2013 iOS game that Oshii worked on. It was also available in English. The six episodes released so far have followed the same general plot as the first six chapters of the game, as seen in this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/brianruh/status/1332447954402242561

There was one significant change that I noticed when compared to what's shown in the thread: in the game, the protagonist was a nameless, faceless male. I think the change to a female protagonist works very well. Some character designs were also changed, and I'd guess some referential jokes were added or removed for things that happened since 2013.

I haven't seen many people notice that the game exists though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2