• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shadows House

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:42 am Reply with quote
Heh, regarding Sarah and Mia, what popped into my head was Mia Sara. Laughing
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh, another difference between anime and manga that is very weird and could easily give way to misunderstandings and wrong theories spoiler[those scars on Mia's back? In the manga they're bruises, and rather smaller.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
One of my theories this early on is that the Shadows might themselves be soot animated to be like a particular person, created by maybe someone like the Grandfather, and the human might be brainwashed into thinking that they are just a doll via soot.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
One of my theories this early on is that the Shadows might themselves be soot animated to be like a particular person, created by maybe someone like the Grandfather, and the human might be brainwashed into thinking that they are just a doll via soot.

Yeah, I thought skipping the bulk of Chapter 9 would cause this. I find it pretty unlikely, but just in case they are going to cover it later, I will put it inside the spoiler tag. spoiler[Remember that scene in Episode 2 when Emilico was cleaned by some mechanism that blows off the soot? In the manga the scene continues with Kate deciding to try it out and Emilico worried that her entire body would be blown away. When this obviously didn't happen, Kate quite clearly stated that while soot comes out of her body, she is not made of soot. So this is actually one of the first theories to get debunked.]
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
If you know anyone who reads the manga, you might be seeing them acting bewildered and concerned (this is the same studio and writer responsible for TPN afterall).
So basically the reason is that there was a major content cut that barely saved them any time and it originally went like this: spoiler[instead of the veiled doll, they found a shadow with a weird voice and peculiar smell concealed by a robe. This shadow joined Emilyko and Shawn, observed them, fed them hints and information and basically colored the parts of the map they investigated. After they found Ram and the sootery pipe and left, Robe-sama threw the missing hinge on the floor and manipulated some soot in the shape of a Phantom face while rejoicing at the presence of these weird living dolls]
On top of the flavour if would add, this has several consequences in the short and long term: spoiler[1.this was supposed to give the reader and Kate the knowledge that there is at least one shadow acting outside the house's rules and planning something big; 2.what Robe-sama tells the kids would be useful hints for the next arc... and leave them thinking about unnecessary things; 3.the sole existence of this character if the entire backbone of a later arc and to make it work they'd need to rewrite it heavily, including several exposition and character development scenes. This arc should be juuuuust outside the season's scope.]

I'll leave my personal opinion about this change as "not thrilled".
harminia

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that they spoiler[completely retconned the Robed Shadow. I mean, to be fair, the Shadow doesn't add a lot to that particular scene, but it has so much importance for later.

I suppose it's possible the Faceless Doll could still be the Robed Shadow but done a different way, but it's still a massive change to the story.]

It's made me notice Cloverworks really isn't good at straight adaptations. TPN, Horimiya and now this... Very questionable changes being made.
I think the story can still reach a mostly consistent ending despite what has been changed but now I'm unsure where they're going to take this.

In other changes they really straightened Shaun's bangs. I saw lots of JP fans commenting on his different hair style, though they all felt it was very cute.

On the plus side next episode is the Debut and I'm looking forward to seeing John. I'm begging Cloverworks to give him the OTT dramatic animation he needs.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:45 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Interesting that they spoiler[completely retconned the Robed Shadow. I mean, to be fair, the Shadow doesn't add a lot to that particular scene, but it has so much importance for later.

I suppose it's possible the Faceless Doll could still be the Robed Shadow but done a different way, but it's still a massive change to the story.]

It's made me notice Cloverworks really isn't good at straight adaptations. TPN, Horimiya and now this... Very questionable changes being made.
I think the story can still reach a mostly consistent ending despite what has been changed but now I'm unsure where they're going to take this.

All in all they can still end the cour in a satisfying manner since the ommitted part won't play a strong active role this season (although it would have nudged characters in certain directions otherwise). The problem is that it just feels... pointless? spoiler[Even if they wanted to ommit any hanging threads (which is ridiculous for any adaptation of an ongoing series that isn't shooting for an anime original ending, let alone a MYSTERY series), this means that if it ever gets a sequel they'll need to rewrite en entire arc and it strips anime watchers from some entertainment and very juicy speculation fuel.]
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:59 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the latest episode. However, I'm a little worried as many manga readers have said that this episode cut out an important character and plot points...
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote
I am not at all surprised that Cloverworks would mess up an adaptation.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Good read on Barbie, although I'm not commenting on the accuracy. Look forward to seeing (and reading) more on her.
Quote:
She's a vicious little thing, and the fact that she's been named after one of the most famous dolls of the 20th century may indicate to viewers that she, more than anyone else, is nothing more than her mistress' plaything.

Remember this line when meeting other characters, it might be fun.

Quote:
Ricky, the doll who is setting himself up as her willing lackey (and who, it must be noted, was named by his master after himself)

You might have missed this during the pre-season advertisement, but that's the norm for most pairs: John and Shawn, Patrick and Ricky, Louise and Lou, Barbara and Barbie, spoiler[Maryrose] and Rosemary (sooted because I don't remember if they were mentioned). The Kate&Emilyko and Sara&Mia pairs are more of an anomally.

ab2143 wrote:
I enjoyed the latest episode. However, I'm a little worried as many manga readers have said that this episode cut out an important character and plot points...

The short of it is that what was ommited won't make you feel lost or significantly damage this season at all, although it may have been more interesting or fun if it weren't missing.
I have faith that you will be able to enjoy the rest of the season nonetheless.

Manga readers are very disappointed because the adaptation was being very close to the source otherwise (and thus any major alteration is uncomfortable) and it's a statement on their (low) faith on a S2 which is something that most readers would love to see. It's also a... "gutsy" move from Cloverworks now that they're under heavy scrutiny after their fiascos just a month and change ago.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
On the matter of the removal of "that" character in the latest episode, the author of the manga Twitted that he was asked to change the story a bit to fit neatly into one season/cour of anime (he was talking about episode 4, but I won't dismiss the possibility of future episodes also having changes). At the same time, he also said that if the anime gets a second season, he will do his best to connect the story of both seasons.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Rum reminds me of that 'because your mother loves roses'-joke
harminia

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:29 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
On the matter of the removal of "that" character in the latest episode, the author of the manga Twitted that he was asked to change the story a bit to fit neatly into one season/cour of anime (he was talking about episode 4, but I won't dismiss the possibility of future episodes also having changes). At the same time, he also said that if the anime gets a second season, he will do his best to connect the story of both seasons.

Makes sense. I figured they were aiming for 1 season. A shame but I get it. Glad to know at least the author is working with them on it (I know that was the case for TPN too but it's changes were a lot more hardcore than SH has been so far).
I have no idea where the anime would end that would be satisfactory because after the debut ends things start moving very quickly.

@Rebecca
Just a note that here
Quote:
Instantly Rum turns her ire on her,

Should say Barbie not Rum.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Another series that I am probably going to want to read the manga but it is not licensed. Sigh!
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Another series that I am probably going to want to read the manga but it is not licensed. Sigh!

The license would probably not be the colored version. Unless they went the extra mile in the digital options.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10