• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'So I'm a Spider, So What?' Anime Delays Episode 24 Due to Production Issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:20 am Reply with quote
As long as they're not forced to delay to give Aoi Yuki's back a rest, its all good.

I loved Copcraft, but the moment I saw which studio was doing this, I tempered my expectations pretty hard.

I was ready for weak in betweening and odd pacing and heavy reliance on the voice cast. I was not ready for cut scenes from a PS1 game conveying key moments of action and drama. I'd legit take a clean slideshow over that.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:55 am Reply with quote
The first cour of the Spider show was one of my most hyped isekai shows in recent years so it’s disappointing the second cour has had so many issues.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:15 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Episode 24 should have a fairly intense action component. I'll tolerate a bit of a delay if it means that the visuals come out better than the last few weeks.

The problem is it just has too much left to resolve between the two storylines in just one episode. No amount of delay to a single episode is going to fix that.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:04 am Reply with quote
The production already looks struggling since the first cour to me. There's barely animation in the human side of the story, and lots of zooming in/out, panning/scrolling, as if it'll make the 'drawing' looks more animated. Kumoko's part with the CG actually looks decent, especially since monster characters don't look so bizarre in 3DCG compared to 3DCG-ed human models, and the monster fights were at least pretty well-staged. Human side barely showed any improvement, and per the second cour it only got worse. I wonder if they asked the 3DCG team to also animate the human side in 3D since they're out for good this time.

That said, the news reported that the production was troubled by the pandemic, and I don't know how bad it affected it. Not sure if it's the production studio's actual quality or maybe they're badly affected, if not another budget or mismanagement problems. 'Spider' has to be my most anticipated anime that I'm only still eagerly waiting every week to see how the story unfolds, and not at all because of the visual treatment. It does deserve much better adaptation. Honestly, I doubt they'd improve much even after the delay.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:17 am Reply with quote
This is honestly kinda shocking. Can it really be much worse off than the past few episodes?
Zefram

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:04 am Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
BlackPoint. wrote:
1st cour was pretty decent but 2nd half just full of mistakes think this is one of thoose cases where it would be simply better if they did it split cour instead of forcing it and as someone mentioned having rly poor 3d models fights that felt like powerpoint slideshow at times. Its just rly sad that such a popular LN gets this type of treatment....

And people wonder why split cour is getting to be the norm nowadays. But this is a special case, we're talking about Shin Itakagi himself, who's gotten infamous for botched adaptations like this; not necessarily because he's incapable, but because he's too ambitious for his own good. It's a miracle the production has been holding out this long.

If Shin Itakagi got infamous for botched adaptations, then why does he still get hired for such high profile up-and-coming shows? At this point I am concerned that this show won't get renewed for another season, not because of its popularity or storyline but due to low quality and botched production issues. And if it does, hope they drop the company that messed up human battles in 3D and just keep everything human /demon related to 2D and maybe magical beasts (Spiders, Dragons, etc) to 3D.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:09 am Reply with quote
Zefram wrote:

If Shin Itakagi got infamous for botched adaptations, then why does he still get hired for such high profile up-and-coming shows? At this point I am concerned that this show won't get renewed for another season, not because of its popularity or storyline but due to low quality and botched production issues. And if it does, hope they drop the company that messed up human battles in 3D and just keep everything human /demon related to 2D and maybe magical beasts (Spiders, Dragons, etc) to 3D.

there are more qualities to anime producers for example chiaki kon is great at handling longer series and spreading the budget properly. work ethics, getting along well with coworkers, etc.. are factors.

back to the production issues, the latest episode was the worse, not only was the animation quality low, the choreographies were horrendous, we had people evading attacks in ways that meant they would get hit harder, anybody who has played videogames would now, what is worse is that the animation clearly showed that and they still keep it like that.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:32 am Reply with quote
^^
The adaptation for this series has actually been done quite well, as it has taken a chaotically-designed story and organized it in a way that's feasible for anime form. The problems have entirely been with the 3DCG visuals and bad fight designs in a couple of human-side battles.

As for Itagaki's track record, while he does have his share of disasters (Ulysses in particular!), he also directed the wonderful Ben-To! That gives him a lot of leeway in my book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
Zefram wrote:

If I have to make a guess, it's because he was the only one who was not busy at the time. And as @Key has said, it's not like he's done a terrible job, but as I've said, he's too ambitious which makes the schedule melt down and then collapse into itself. It looks ugly not because they animators are not talented or the studio having "budget" problems (I hate that word), but because they didn't have time to properly finish it before the deadline.

I personally enjoyed the anime and I tuned in each week, it was charming even with its weird 3DCG, but as it started to melt down lately, I've got less and less enthusiastic about it. Hopefully they can fix the most jarring mistakes later but I'm not sure whether I'll rewatch it.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:20 am Reply with quote
Cool because between this, Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai, SSSS.Dynazenon and The World Ends With You my Fridays were jam packed. Could use a break. At least SSSS finished. DQ is a a recap episode this week so in no rush to see it.

spoiler[I wonder if they will reveal the big secret behind the protagonist's origin in the final episode. Would be wild not to divulge that before a break.
]
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it's a miracle anything is somewhat visually coherent theses days, even without the pandemic. And by miracle, I mean it's because of the overworked people slaving away.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:
Honestly, it's a miracle anything is somewhat visually coherent theses days, even without the pandemic. And by miracle, I mean it's because of the overworked people slaving away.

That's - sadly - a given, and this one specific example is likely no different, I'm just commenting on Itagaki not having a good track record holding it together.
zerocolourss#924152

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:02 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^^
The adaptation for this series has actually been done quite well, as it has taken a chaotically-designed story and organized it in a way that's feasible for anime form. The problems have entirely been with the 3DCG visuals and bad fight designs in a couple of human-side battles.

As for Itagaki's track record, while he does have his share of disasters (Ulysses in particular!), he also directed the wonderful Ben-To! That gives him a lot of leeway in my book.

In my eyes the problem's been with the fact that the "2d animation" hasn't really been animation at all--rather just mainly stills that get slided around or warped in weird angles. While the 3DCG visuals aren't the best in the anime industry, I'd much rather have actual movement/animation in the anime.

Nontheless, the biggest problem is how badly the 3DCG is being integrated with the 2d. At the very least they need to cut down on the 3d rotating camera. I dearly hope that either this finale actually has some 2d animation or they do a good job integrating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2