• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: BEASTARS Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
battle-arc-fan wrote:

With that in mind, do we have any idea what Paru Itagaki's actual authorial intent on Beastars is? I get that her always wearing a chicken mask at public events may make asking direct questions along these lines difficult, but I have read where she does ever so politely try to downplay comparisons between her Beastars and Zootopia as well as the corollaries between its themes and western - TBF American - intersectionality politics.

I never heard of an interview but the reviews of the first episodes series seem to discuss in gender roles.

However, season 2 keeps reminding me of Edgar Allan Poe, especially his line: "
Cannibalism Is The Highest Form Of Love". The culprit Legoshi found isn't a sadistic person or a guy but I don't know his about his obsession with the weak.. There are scenes in which spoiler[we see Riz actually being comforted by Tem.] This is just me wondering. For obvious reasons, Itagaki hasn't talked about the design or creation of the culprit since she would spoil the plot.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I love Beastars if I just take it at face value, as a story of horny furry teens working out their issues, with some political jazz thrown in for garnish. And that's how I usually approach it, just sitting back and enjoying the hell out of the ride.

But if I think about what it might be trying to say, it seems in-your-face obvious that it's a metaphor for boys being natural predators and girls being natural prey. And that boys have to go through hell to suppress their natural predatory instincts to coexist with girls and treat them as people instead of prey. That's a message I can't quite sign on to.

There's certainly some truth in the predator/prey relationship between men and women in human society, but to propose that that's the natural state of things which civilization tries to temper, rather than a result of socialization in a patriarchy, would be terribly depressing if I bought into it.

As far as I can recall, the only named female carnivores we see in the anime (I know there are a couple un-named ones seen in the backgrounds, and more in the manga, though I haven't read it) are Juno and Shirley, and neither of them seem to have the same "gotta suppress my instincts/physical strength" issues as the male carnivores, though Shirley's got her own issues about herbivores to deal with.

On the flip side, we have Louis learning how to be a predator, which does at least support the socialization argument. But this would be a very different series if it was about Juno falling in love with, say, Mizuchi's bunny boyfriend (Mizuchi was the harlequin rabbit who was always bullying Haru).
Bexarath

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:19 am Reply with quote
I was actually kind of glad that they didn't draw out the reveal. I figured out who the killer probably was after Legoshi was attacked. Now that the truth is out there, the story can shift focus to a more tense stand-off between the characters.

That said, my major gripe with the situation is that spoiler[Legoshi doesn't just go to the police, or even Six-Eyes, with the information. Despite several characters telling him to, he instead makes it a matter of personal pride and decides he has to be the one to deal with it. I suppose it could be attributed to Legoshi's stubborn nature, but someone should have intervened. And why is Six-Eyes never seen again? I thought she was keeping an eye (or six) on our worrisome wolf.]
battle-arc-fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I love Beastars if I just take it at face value, as a story of horny furry teens working out their issues, with some political jazz thrown in for garnish. And that's how I usually approach it, just sitting back and enjoying the hell out of the ride.

But if I think about what it might be trying to say, it seems in-your-face obvious that it's a metaphor for boys being natural predators and girls being natural prey. And that boys have to go through hell to suppress their natural predatory instincts to coexist with girls and treat them as people instead of prey. That's a message I can't quite sign on to.

There's certainly some truth in the predator/prey relationship between men and women in human society, but to propose that that's the natural state of things which civilization tries to temper, rather than a result of socialization in a patriarchy, would be terribly depressing if I bought into it.

As far as I can recall, the only named female carnivores we see in the anime (I know there are a couple un-named ones seen in the backgrounds, and more in the manga, though I haven't read it) are Juno and Shirley, and neither of them seem to have the same "gotta suppress my instincts/physical strength" issues as the male carnivores, though Shirley's got her own issues about herbivores to deal with.

On the flip side, we have Louis learning how to be a predator, which does at least support the socialization argument. But this would be a very different series if it was about Juno falling in love with, say, Mizuchi's bunny boyfriend (Mizuchi was the harlequin rabbit who was always bullying Haru).

That's a message I can't quite sign on to. Good thing because that isn't Paru Itagaki's intent at all. So many areas where this breaks down including a key posthumous character that they likely wouldn't get to until season 3, spoiler[Melon's mother]. Also you have some very sexually aggressive herbivores in Louis, Pina, spoiler[Yahya] and the female Haru and carnivores who are most decidedly not in Legoshi, Jack and spoiler[Gosha].

rather than a result of socialization in a patriarchy

I see the likes of this and am fascinated. Are you referring to the patriarchy that exists among contemporary affluent and educated western cosmopolitans? Or the "must use my limited set of crude tools to conduct rudimentary agriculture, ward off encroaching carnivorous beasts and participate in internecine warfare over resource scarcity to survive" that was the way of life for nearly everyone on the whole planet 1000 years ago? Because the two are very different things.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I bet Beckett was watching the series carefully and as soon as he saw Legoshi crossdressing, he went "Yeah! I'm putting this for the thumbnail!" I wonder what might be the reaction of people who have no idea what's Beastars about when they saw this image Laughing

Still, yeah I kinda felt the ending of season 2 a bit rushed due to how Lois has two big stories in the same episode even though Legoshi is the protagonist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2