• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Reveals Future Boy Conan Anime's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:19 am Reply with quote
Ultimate N wrote:
Animax dubs don't really count to be fair LOL Just because they're never made for US audiences
Yeah i don't count them either.

anime-prime wrote:
https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1439394398182256640 This is the tweet. It's part of a chain tweet, so reading the whole chain might provide a bigger picture.
Oh it's in conjunction with Part 6. When you said it, I thought Discotek was doing it. It's weird that they list the Japanese cast then Tony Oliver, as I'm sure part 1 ep1 had Fujiko in it.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:51 am Reply with quote
OK guys. You're telling me that an anime TV series from 1978 is getting an English dub now!?! In 2021?! I can't believe it. Why didn't it get a dub then? I'm just so shocked by this,I'm unable to fathom something like this. Shocked Another good question to ask is that are there any other old anime that going to get an English dub that are going to stun me because I just can't believe I read this. It's just too incredible for words.
MegalDolt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:32 am Reply with quote
Because it was directed by Miyazaki
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:46 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
OK guys. You're telling me that an anime TV series from 1978 is getting an English dub now!?! In 2021?! I can't believe it. Why didn't it get a dub then? I'm just so shocked by this,I'm unable to fathom something like this. Shocked Another good question to ask is that are there any other old anime that going to get an English dub that are going to stun me because I just can't believe I read this. It's just too incredible for words.

Gunbuster OVA is getting an English dub for the first time.
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

As to why it wasn’t released then a quick look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anime_distributed_in_the_United_States shows that very little anime was actually dubbed into English at that time.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Buying this regular blu-ray but would have easily bought a 4K blu-ray for this too.

Looking forward to finally seeing this.
Nekosicle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Mamo-chan wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:

Gunbuster OVA is getting an English dub for the first time.

Gunbuster might never been dubbed in other languages besides Japanese (only seeing official subs for each languages overseas) so it may be the longest gap (33 years) for an anime without having any dubs.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:26 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

- It took Sailor Moon Sailor Stars 23 years to finally be released with an English dub.
- Galaxy Express 999: Eternal Fantasy was released with an English dub after 22 years.
- As mentioned elsewhere, Gunbuster is being dubbed after 33+ years.
- Saint Seiya finally got a complete English dub in 2019-2020 after almost 35 years.
- Lupin III Part 1 is apparently being dubbed in English after 50 years.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:04 am Reply with quote
Well,as I read through everyone's reaction to what I said,yeah,there are a bunch of old anime like the 1970's "Lupin III" TV show and the "Gunbuster" OVA that are getting English dubs. In many of their cases,they're long overdue,because for whatever reason,they never got them. Whether it be that they never got here when they were first came out or whatever other reason like that,it's pretty interesting to see.
For someone like me,I don't really have a problem with it. I think that it's a good thing this is happening and I hope it continues. What other old anime will be next? I don't know but I like this and it may help draw attention to shows that might not have gotten it otherwise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2