• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cowboy Bebop Live-Action

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:14 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Online platforms make no distinction between a hate watch and a regular watch. I don't doubt a lot of people tuned in to see how it turned out. That doesn't mean people liked it, though.

It's been trending up in the Top 10 the last few days though. If it remains there for some time, I don't think it matters to Netflix.

Recent events have already shown that Netflix fudges these numbers and statistics to suit their needs, it absolutely is not data you should take with any degree of reliability.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Some of these replies are weird
I never understood why people think it's "woke" and that's what made the show bad.

I feel like this adaptation is similar to how live action adaptations of anime gets done in Japan so I don't think it'd anything special.

In any case, I think I'm on episode 3 or 4 and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Yes, there are people who are fans of the original Anime who like the live action version too, so I while opinions are split, a splita I think also people believe it failed due to the most inane reasons.

This review is at least honest about what he didn't like about it.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Also that was a high budget Movie, where this is a low budget Netflix show.

True! I hadn't followed live-action Bebop's production closely enough to know how much money was thrown at it, but clearly there needed to be more, even if only in the writing department.

Last edited by R. Kasahara on Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Yes, there are people who are fans of the original Anime who like the live action version too, so I while opinions are split, a splita I think also people believe it failed due to the most inane reasons.

Most of those reasons are not "inane". They're in the show glaringly, and even this review does highlight most of the flaws the show has from a production standpoint.

I'm not gonna fault people who enjoy this show for whatever it is they liked, but the show is not good, and it's not gonna be any better just because there are people who liked it. Netflix still produces trash, and will keep doing it, only because there's people willing to watch it and like it.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:51 pm Reply with quote
One would think that "La Femme Nikita" versus "Point of No Return" would have been a suitable lesson, but the entertainment industry is not about lessons, but about the next five minutes. Hollywood is a goldfish bowl.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Most of those reasons are not "inane". They're in the show glaringly, and even this review does highlight most of the flaws the show has from a production standpoint.

I'm not gonna fault people who enjoy this show for whatever it is they liked, but the show is not good, and it's not gonna be any better just because there are people who liked it. Netflix still produces trash, and will keep doing it, only because there's people willing to watch it and like it.

They are pretty inane, most complaints boil down to "its different from the anime". Even though at most it is just paying homage to the anime and not intending to actually recreate it. As it's own interpretation I thought it was alot of fun.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
So...better or worse than the Deathnote movie?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN VICE VERSA!

Deathnote would have been perfect for a live action tv series. It take place on Earth, the majority of deaths are implied and not too crazy, there are a multitude of characters and only one to three shinigami show up so that's the only CGI necessary. Low budget, lots of plot, 37ish episodes! Perfect for TV!

Cowboy Bebop takes place in the entire Goddamn solar system, yet involves only a handful of main characters. Space battles, crazy technology, buildings exploding, a literal cowboy and a fridge monster. And almost all the (I must stress this) 26 episodes are self-contained. Massive budget, small number of actors. Such is the makings for a singular movie that, if it does well the first time, can later expand upon itself in later movies. Basically just a live-action Knockin' On Heaven's Door!

This makes so much more logistical sense that it's mindboggling how everything turned out. And I liked Willem Dafoe as Ryuk!
zatheus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I could never really get into Cowboy Bebop, more of an Outlaw Star fan, but I did like the 2001 movie. Started watching this, and really couldn't get into this adaptation either, alas I am going to be one of the strange ones that just doesn't like Bebop in almost any form. Recently I realized it might be the film noir aspect, because I have always disliked that genre since I was younger.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Some of these replies are weird
I never understood why people think it's "woke" and that's what made the show bad.

This is the weirdest reply, of the 14 posts before it, only one could be said to have mentioned "woke" elements (they considered making Faye lesbian unnecessary). Otherwise no one seems to have even come close to mentioning anything like that.

Either the thread had a bunch of comment deleted/modified or someone just assumed that most replies would complain about the woke aspect and ignored the actual thread.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
They are pretty inane, most complaints boil down to "its different from the anime". Even though at most it is just paying homage to the anime and not intending to actually recreate it. As it's own interpretation I thought it was alot of fun.

I don't care if you found it "alot of fun". Maybe saying that "it's different from the anime" is an inane reason, but from a production standard, the show is still pretty mediocre. If you've watched any TV show ever, you can find a lot of flaws in this one, even if it wasn't an "homage to the anime". The acting is good, and that's it. The expansion they made in some areas are riddled with clichés, the camerawork is horrible and static (Dutch angles when they're not necessary are very annoying), the banter sounds like it came from a first draft, and overall it looks like a cheaper version of Firefly.

It's fine that you liked it, but it's not gonna get better just because people think there's enough virtues to have fun with, when the flaws outweight said virtues.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:45 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

I don't care if you found it "alot of fun". Maybe saying that "it's different from the anime" is an inane reason, but from a production standard, the show is still pretty mediocre. If you've watched any TV show ever, you can find a lot of flaws in this one, even if it wasn't an "homage to the anime". The acting is good, and that's it. The expansion they made in some areas are riddled with clichés, the camerawork is horrible and static (Dutch angles when they're not necessary are very annoying), the banter sounds like it came from a first draft, and overall it looks like a cheaper version of Firefly.

It's fine that you liked it, but it's not gonna get better just because people think there's enough virtues to have fun with, when the flaws outweight said virtues.

Why not? As long as people enjoy it the flaws ultimately don't matter. I'm not saying the show is flawless but it's nowhere near as bad as the anime snobs claim. It's clear they just wanted a recreation of the anime but there wouldn't have been much poiny to that. Instead we got a fun, if flawed, adaptation.

I will say anyone who thinks this is as bad as DragonBall Evolution or Netflix Deathnote is just being rediculous.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
This is the weirdest reply, of the 14 posts before it, only one could be said to have mentioned "woke" elements (they considered making Faye lesbian unnecessary).

Yeah, that was me, and I wasn't talking about it as something "woke" in the prejorative sense, nor did I use that word itself, because people who do use it are morons (as some of the other replies just after that one you're quoting can show you). The actual review phrases much better why that moment between Faye and the mechanic didn't add anything to the show other than fanservice, and that is just there for its own sake. Gren's character is non-binary, but no big deal is made out of it, nor is used as a main trait for the character. What does Faye have? Amnesia, she's gay, and she's quippy. That's it. But then again, at least that's beats having a clichéd backstory like Jet's.

Also, before that reply, there's another one who's much harsher about the "woke" elements the show has, which aren't that obvious in the show.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see my plan to not watch it paid off Laughing

I didn't even want to give it the views given that I guessed the writers or whomever for this version of the show would miss some of the more nuanced aspects of bebop. I didn't think however the show would be so dumb as to give Jet an actual kid. that just sounds dumb. I have two friends who said they were going to give it a try though, however neither of them are optimistic. If nothing else I'm sure it'll lead to some fun conversations.
animedude1982

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Glad to see my plan to not watch it paid off Laughing

I didn't even want to give it the views given that I guessed the writers or whomever for this version of the show would miss some of the more nuanced aspects of bebop. I didn't think however the show would be so dumb as to give Jet an actual kid. that just sounds dumb. I have two friends who said they were going to give it a try though, however neither of them are optimistic. If nothing else I'm sure it'll lead to some fun conversations.

Honestly, I'm a patient and considerate guy. I can look past cringe moments if a movie or show has a strong premise and has something in it that I can connect with to keep me watching. I watched it patiently. There were some cringe moments for me..but I made it to the end and I liked a lot of things and hated others.

This show is just a mixed bag. It has its MOMENTS. I felt the final battle in the church was interesting. John Cho is surprisingly good as Spike. There are a lot of things in this show that work well but too much doesn't work and it just shows and again TOO MUCH STUDIO MANDATED WOKE PANDERING in it too. I say give it a chance though.

In my view.. its not bad but its not really good like it should be.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised so many people liked Cho as Spike. I thought Shakir killed it as Jet, but Cho was middling at best. He just never figured out how to relax and have fun, whether in or out of fights, and without that it's just not Spike.

Faye was an even greater mess, but the acting was kind of irrelevant, there. When you start to re-write characters that severely, you need to be a damned good, careful writer, but this just felt procrustean. A shoehorned low-effort pandering girlboss, entirely missing the point of Faye as a character.

I guess, aside from not being too fond of Cho's Spike, I mostly just agree with Steve's review, pretty much verbatim. I wouldn't say it was as bad as Dragonball Evolution, but I also wouldn't put it too far above that. If DB:E's a 1/10, I might give Netflix Bebop a 3 or so. I was at least actually having fun with Netflix Bebop for the first half or so, even if it was kind of a poorly executed mess. By the end I was just exhausted by the poor writing changes, though -- Vicious and Julia, especially. Watching their new scenes play out was soul-sucking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8