• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cover Corp. Announces Termination of VTuber Uruha Rushia's Contract

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VPedge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:21 am Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
I actually saw the video, last week, from the person that Rushia talked too and what he said was nothing bad at all. Rushia even told him not to mention the info but he did anyway, just simply trying to defend herself, but what was said was not awful. If this is the only info they are running off of and their is nothing else then this is just corporate bullshit; not knowing how to deal with the issue and figured this was the best way to deal with the problem.
If this was the majority of the info from the false relationship to then the defending herself, then the way Cover handled this was horrible. Bad management.

Dude she basically doxed a bunch of non public employees and talent because she didn't properly censor any of it. How is that bad management lol
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:27 am Reply with quote
What a bad time for Cover to terminate Rushia, while said offense (Leaking confidential information) is incredibly bad; doing this right now with her condition and mental state is downright dangerous without offering some level of therapy, that will get someone killed in the future. They could've waited a bit before doing so.
Aleister22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:37 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
What a bad time for Cover to terminate Rushia, while said offense (Leaking confidential information) is incredibly bad; doing this right now with her condition and mental state is downright dangerous without offering some level of therapy, that will get someone killed in the future. They could've waited a bit before doing so.

Dude, she already has a new yourtube and twitter account and is twitchcasting, she'll get her gachikois back and start making small fortunes before winter is over.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote
Aleister22 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Dude, she already has a new yourtube and twitter account and is twitchcasting, she'll get her gachikois back and start making small fortunes before winter is over.

I just found her YT channel, but still; they still need to be a bit more considerate next time (A little delay goes a long way). This is the idol industry, not some normie job, a lot of idols are pretty fragile mentally as it is (especially the Vtuber variety) and one false step can cost them their lives.
faboo95

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:59 am Reply with quote
Though there's a lot of thoughts and opinions spinning in my head at the moment, in the end of the day she broke her NDA. You get fired and sometime sued for doing so, so I'd hardly call what Cover did as "bad management".
chronos02

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
This still falls under bad management, period.

It's not about how badly they managed the current situation, but that they never set specific actions to take when something happened. Rushia's case was not managed for almost two days, period within which she tried to slove the problem under heavy pressure and panicking, something which is obviously not going to end up well. Cover was also very slow on responding to anything in public, which worsened the situation even more. And even though she also got support past that period, the systems were not in place to amend the situation.

Was it that hard to have a set of rules in case something happens like a private message appearing during a stream? Would it have been hard to contact Rushia and tell her to stop all activities and SNS until a plan was established to deal with the situation? Would it have been difficult to send the manager to make sure everything was alright? (remember this happened during a collab stream, at least one manager was watching).
The answer is no, all of these should have been as a matter of course. Had Cover learned from the previous issues, this would've been dealt with in a matter of weeks, and the problem would be under the rug, Rushia would've had a break, and that's it.

Remember, management is not there to solve things as they unfold, management is there to establish plans of contingency in case something, anything happens. The fact Rushia felt the need to share information with a drama tuber speaks volumes of the whole situation, regardless of her being the number 1 earner, of the different things planned by Cover, and the merchandise like figures and such being in the oven. Even if Cover had given the green light to share info, they would have checked what info to share, not leave Rushia to deal with it by herself. And let's remember, she's also very much technology illiterate, even if she knows a few of the programs needed to stream.

This shows how big the lack of planning on Cover's part is, showing an inability to understand what is expected of management. This also makes the 3rd mistake on their part, let's hope it's the last.

This, of course, is moot if Cover did have all these systems in place and they acted from the very beginning, and through all that, Rushia went rogue and did all these things on Cover's back, and Cover was non the wiser, which I heavily doubt, but it is a possibility.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
I actually saw the video, last week, from the person that Rushia talked too and what he said was nothing bad at all. Rushia even told him not to mention the info but he did anyway, just simply trying to defend herself, but what was said was not awful. If this is the only info they are running off of and their is nothing else then this is just corporate bullshit; not knowing how to deal with the issue and figured this was the best way to deal with the problem.
If this was the majority of the info from the false relationship to then the defending herself, then the way Cover handled this was horrible. Bad management.

What makes you absolutely confident that she just did it this one time and you saw everything she leaked? Maybe it is. I find it equally likely that this one time got enough scrutiny that other instances were discovered. Companies aren't going to come out and tell everyone exactly how much confidential information got leaked unless they're required to disclose it.

Hoppy800 wrote:

Sorry, but no. Leaking confidential information needs to result in immediate termination more often, not less. It doesn't matter what industry it is.

Hoppy800 wrote:
This is the idol industry, not some normie job, a lot of idols are pretty fragile mentally as it is (especially the Vtuber variety) and one false step can cost them their lives.

Lots of people in those "normie" jobs you talk about are fragile mentally. Mental health issues in probably all careers are under treated. That doesn't mean you start handing out free passes and remove accountability.

I don't have anything against Rushia, but I see absolutely no problems with immediately terminating her.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Just deleted a trollish post. Please continue on and be reminded to keep the thread healthy Smile

@chronos02, I agree with you on this when it comes to your point that "this [issue] still falls under management, [as they are there to manage and take control of things in case anything happens]" and it is also best to think about other factors.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:15 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Sorry, but no. Leaking confidential information needs to result in immediate termination more often, not less. It doesn't matter what industry it is.

Hard disagree. That's a bad take and i'm glad that 99% of the time it's not followed.
If the entertainment industry followed this advice we'd never have Tom Holland or Mark Ruffalo.

The cases need to be dealt with on an individual basis because not all cases of leaking confidential information are the same.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:44 pm Reply with quote
It is sad to see Rushia leave, and disappointing to see it's because she broke NDA, and severe enough to get her expelled, if using school terms. Will miss her, but damn.

Also, we have seen an instance where someone got fired from a video game company after leaking an early prototype of the Wii U on Twitter, which I think at the time of that posting, it was unannounced.

And while her birthday merch is cancelled and going to be refunded. Makes me wonder about the Nendos and Figmas, and if they are still going to be released (and forget about a second run). Would imagine, they're already in production and manufacturing and Good Smile and the like have some control over it, and cancelling that would result in a pretty big loss. I think birthday merch and the like are made to order, so the loss on that would be minimum.
VPedge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:09 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Hard disagree. That's a bad take and i'm glad that 99% of the time it's not followed.
If the entertainment industry followed this advice we'd never have Tom Holland or Mark Ruffalo.

The cases need to be dealt with on an individual basis because not all cases of leaking confidential information are the same.

well this time she apparently leaked stuff of non public members of cover along with some managers so whats your take here bud
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:16 pm Reply with quote
omegafinal wrote:
It is sad to see Rushia leave, and disappointing to see it's because she broke NDA, and severe enough to get her expelled, if using school terms. Will miss her, but damn.

Also, we have seen an instance where someone got fired from a video game company after leaking an early prototype of the Wii U on Twitter, which I think at the time of that posting, it was unannounced.

And while her birthday merch is cancelled and going to be refunded. Makes me wonder about the Nendos and Figmas, and if they are still going to be released (and forget about a second run). Would imagine, they're already in production and manufacturing and Good Smile and the like have some control over it, and cancelling that would result in a pretty big loss. I think birthday merch and the like are made to order, so the loss on that would be minimum.

Hard to say with some of that. Considering the deletion of her channel, I could see them deciding they can't sell those figures, and will have to pay Good Smile whatever the costs/penalties are. My guess is that even if it is expensive, they would prefer that to how it would look to still sell some merch.
Conceivably, those costs could be high enough that Cover decides it can't eat them, but I think that is what they will do. In that regard, we don't have much of a comparable situation. Coco left on good terms, so her merch and channel remained. Other times where the channels were deleted, they were also significantly smaller, so there weren't as many costs at risk.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:46 pm Reply with quote
VPedge wrote:
well this time she apparently leaked stuff of non public members of cover along with some managers so whats your take here bud

What stuff ?
A name ? Location, Banking details ? It matters and just saying they're non-public facing members doesn't make them magically more protected than anyone else.
NormanS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:08 pm Reply with quote
^
Be sure to read the official statement: https://www.reddit.com/r/Hololive/comments/t03p7x/notice_regarding_termination_of_our_contract_with/

The important thing is " Regarding “Uruha Rushia,” it has been apparent for some time that she has been distributing false
information to third parties and has been leaking information, including communications regarding
business matters. We have been investigating the facts related to these matters."

" With respect to the above, we were able to confirm that she engaged in acts that: violated her contract by
leaking information that she acquired from the company as well as communication over SNS, both of
which she has a responsibility to protect; and caused the company to suffer reputational damage, such as
by publicizing falsehoods to various related parties. As a result, we, as a company, have determined that it
has become difficult to continue managing and supporting her and have elected to make this decision. "

You may speculate what you will. But in the end, the contract was breached.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:35 pm Reply with quote
^

I'm not arguing whether the company has cause for termination. I'm saying that not all cases of leaking are the same. The discussion being had was that all cases of leaking need to be dealt with by termination, that's a bad and extremely misguided take.

Also, that letter of release from the corporate lawyers does not specify what harm if any was actually done. It claims reputational damage, but lets be fair and call a spade a spade, the company is and has doing more harm to their own reputation with these actions and past actions than any release of comments by a talent ever could.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5