• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NPD Bookscan via The Beat: Manga Made Up 76.71% of Adult Fiction Graphic Novel Sales in 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:30 am Reply with quote
Saskatoonshred wrote:

It may appear overwhelming at first to get into superhero stories but there are so many resources to get info about where to start with characters and runs.

And there it is. If I want to read superhero comics I have to do research. There are millions of amazing stories out there that I don't have to research, where I can just jump in and have a great time. Why would I want to read a series where I first have to spend a few hours just figuring out the best parts to read? And sure there's some difficult to penetrate Japanese media like Fate but that's, what, 1% of their media? And even Fate isn't that bad. Most agree to start at Fate/Zero.
Saskatoonshred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:08 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Saskatoonshred wrote:

It may appear overwhelming at first to get into superhero stories but there are so many resources to get info about where to start with characters and runs.

And there it is. If I want to read superhero comics I have to do research. There are millions of amazing stories out there that I don't have to research, where I can just jump in and have a great time. Why would I want to read a series where I first have to spend a few hours just figuring out the best parts to read? And sure there's some difficult to penetrate Japanese media like Fate but that's, what, 1% of their media? And even Fate isn't that bad. Most agree to start at Fate/Zero.

Just like with any hobby and form of media that's been established for a long time sometimes you gotta just jump in and sometimes that requires research. You don't have to and I do understand that it's intimidating to get into superhero stories. It can be intimidating to get into anime and the like as well. At the end of the day whether someone reads manga, western comics, or both I'm just glad people are enjoying the medium of comics.
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:46 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:

It can be fun if you're already reading the series involved and the book you're reading references another one, but it was annoying to see that note that tells you read another issue of a completely different series. To be honest I think we accepted it just because there wasn't much alternative. Back then the only manga that existed was chopped up chapter by chapter and put out in floppy issue format. Once that went away and the tankobon format caught on in America manga exploded in popularity. I still like the classic, well-written stories I read back in the day, but I genuinely think comic books are obsolete in this day and age and a relic from the past trying to find their place in the modern market with sales gimmick and publicity stunts. The progressiveness is just a symptom of that desperation to find a market. Making a character come out as gay is no different than killing a character off in the 80s and 90s for a sales boost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2