• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games -The New Testament

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:08 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile, bad news, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is fourth-lowest launch for a Final Fantasy spin-off in Japan

Game Data Library also notes that Final Fantasy spin-offs on console have mostly died out in favour of mobile games.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:26 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Non-binary is basically someone who says they identify as a man one day and a female the next.

That would fall more into the gender neutral or genderfluid category. Agender, gender neutral, genderfluid, and intersex are all non-binary, because they aren't strictly one or the other. "Binary" is one of two options, and "non-binary" is anything outside of those two options.

The words can also be used outside of gender discussion, of course. For example, if I asked you if you were a Star Wars fan or a Star Trek fan, and you said neither, that would be a non-binary reply.

Guile wrote:
I assumed the localization used male pronouns because he's still a man, just one that went through horrific experiments and body modifications. Testament was a man who got abducted by the Conclave and converted into a bioweapon and then enslaved.

Localization of ambiguous genders is usually defaulted to male. Same thing happened with Justice, whose gender is treated ambiguously but was translated as a male in the earliest installments, despite being canonically female.

Guile wrote:
I'm not sure why anyone would want to claim that as representative of their identity.

Assuming this isn't just typical concern trolling: Nobody chooses their biological sex. Gender identity is a choice. Doesn't matter if the character became intersex through experimentation or not, the entire point of this shift is that the character has chosen the identity for themself. Their new profile even goes as far as listing "jibun" as one of their likes now, meaning that for the first time in the series, they like who they are.

AQuin1904 wrote:
As far as Testament goes, I know that they've been described as intersex (両性 or 両性具有) in interviews and books long before this, and also something about "transcending their humanity," but is this the first time they've been officially described as agender (無性別) as well?

Yeah, Ozawa explained it after the reveal as a new direction they're taking the character in starting with this game, previously being intersex (or simply androgynous -- Japanese being so wonderfully ambiguous). They're quite obviously doing a "self-acceptance" arc with the character, based on their battle quotes and updated profile.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:37 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Gears have technically been an "It" since Day 0 since they're technically combinations of magic and science, with very few and rare exceptions in the early games.spoiler[ Sol being the big one.] They only really started to experiment with latter titles. Testament is more of a course correction since early GG was rather infamous for its kerfuffles translation wise but to quote someone I saw post it on another site, it definitely feels like a SF Poison situation given the Japanese trailer where Testament (voiced by Yu Kobayashi!) explicitly uses "watashi", which is commonly used with regards to feminine and female characters.

Pronouns are not as rigid in Japanese as they are in English. Anyone can use ore, boku, atashi, watashi, or whatever. A tough woman like Baiken uses "ore" but that doesn't mean she identifies as a man, despite some people thinking phrases like "casting off her womanhood" means she no longer identifies as a woman when it just meaning she's not going to care about being feminine or a yamato nadeshiko. My advise is for people to ignore it. People are going to interpret media in their own way regardless of how much discussion or truth is had. I find it ironic Heidi used Bridget as an example because people have been insisting he was trans for ages rather than just an otokonoko. "Testament is Testament" is similar to how characters like Hideyoshi, Najimi, Crona, and other ambiguous gender characters so basically do whatever you want. Obviously the developers are still being coy rather than directly confirming anything so people shouldn't be taking this too seriously.

The main issue these days is words and terms relating to sex and gender are getting a lot more loose, vague, and politically charged. Testament might very well be "non-binary' technically depending on whatever conditions that umbrella term encompasses since it appears to be quite a lot these days ranging from gender-nonconforming tomboys to intersex people What we can safely say is that Testament is not intersex or a hermaphrodite since those are medical terms for birth defects and we know Testament was not born the way he/it/whatever is now. Nobody knows anything until a new storymode for the character comes out and says anything on the matter, if at all.

I miss the days when "they/them" used to be a normal term to talk about someone when you don't know if they're a man or woman, or a group of people. Now it's apparently political and if you use it you're confirming a specific gender identity. No one cared about calling characters like Hideyoshi or Crona an 'it' or a 'them'. Nobody also cared if you called them a guy or a girl either. People were less uptight back in those days and weren't at each others throats over things like this.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Testament: This thread quickly went down the predictable path. But this isn't anything new; Testament was always Testament, and StrIVe is highlighting what was always there. It's rare for their kind of representation to be this prominent and without any shameless pandering, so I think that should be celebrated. Looking forward to giving Testament a test run!

Also, they get bonus points for one of their moves being a Ronnie James Dio reference: Unholy Diver.

Omega Rugal: SNK did the thing! I've been saying for over a year now that SNK needs to give Rugal a solo boss trailer, and they delivered in a way that shattered my expectations complete with a special Genocide Cutter montage (how could they not?). Amazing trailer, and with Boss Challenge being a "mode," it seems like there's a good chance we will be getting more in the future which would be awesome! And even though it is going to be hell, I greatly appreciate that the only way to pay for his costume, stage, and music is by beating his ass!

Also, can we get his son sooner rather than later SNK?

Lastly, while they didn't get mentioned, we also got Team Garou last week and they have been a lot of fun!
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:38 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Lastly, while they didn't get mentioned, we also got Team Garou last week and they have been a lot of fun!
I'm still sad that Feather didn't make it into Granblue Versus, but I guess I can accept the original as a consolation prize.

Unrelated, but I've been thinking about that Gotta Protectors trailer, and how best to atone for how I've never heard of it before, in spite of being the exact kind of person who gets excited at seeing Yuzo Koshiro's name on things. Preorder the physical CE? I think I gotta.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:51 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
"Testament is Testament" is similar to how characters like Hideyoshi, Najimi, Crona, and other ambiguous gender characters so basically do whatever you want. Obviously the developers are still being coy rather than directly confirming anything so people shouldn't be taking this too seriously.

Amazing that you’re claiming they’re being coy when they’ve gone out of their way to explain that they aren’t. Gee sure wonder why you’re doing that-

Quote:

The main issue these days is words and terms relating to sex and gender are getting a lot more loose, vague, and politically charged. Testament might very well be "non-binary' technically depending on whatever conditions that umbrella term encompasses since it appears to be quite a lot these days ranging from gender-nonconforming tomboys to intersex people What we can safely say is that Testament is not intersex or a hermaphrodite since those are medical terms for birth defects and we know Testament was not born the way he/it/whatever is now. Nobody knows anything until a new storymode for the character comes out and says anything on the matter, if at all.

I miss the days when "they/them" used to be a normal term to talk about someone when you don't know if they're a man or woman, or a group of people. Now it's apparently political and if you use it you're confirming a specific gender identity. No one cared about calling characters like Hideyoshi or Crona an 'it' or a 'them'. Nobody also cared if you called them a guy or a girl either. People were less uptight back in those days and weren't at each others throats over things like this.

Oh right that’s why. So you can pretend that anyone that cares is wrong for doing so, and rant about how the only reason it’s an issue is because of the people that identify as that, as if the history of non-cis people and how they’ve been treated has never existed.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:04 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Amazing trailer, and with Boss Challenge being a "mode," it seems like there's a good chance we will be getting more in the future which would be awesome!

I do hope that's the case, too. I even went back & double-checked Verse's special win quotes from KOF XIV, to see who else was likely revived but not been confirmed yet, & aside from Orochi (who was instantly resealed in Team Yagami's ending in XIV) there's still KOF 2001's Igniz, KOF '99's Krizalid, & Samurai Shodown II's Mizuki Rashojin to be accounted for, while Leona's father Gaidel will likely be held off until the next game, as indicated in Team Ikari's ending in XV.

I would be awesome if Igniz, Krizalid, & Mizuki were added in later on as other bonus bosses to fight.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Amazing trailer, and with Boss Challenge being a "mode," it seems like there's a good chance we will be getting more in the future which would be awesome!

I do hope that's the case, too. I even went back & double-checked Verse's special win quotes from KOF XIV, to see who else was likely revived but not been confirmed yet, & aside from Orochi (who was instantly resealed in Team Yagami's ending in XIV) there's still KOF 2001's Igniz, KOF '99's Krizalid, & Samurai Shodown II's Mizuki Rashojin to be accounted for, while Leona's father Gaidel will likely be held off until the next game, as indicated in Team Ikari's ending in XV.

I would be awesome if Igniz, Krizalid, & Mizuki were added in later on as other bonus bosses to fight.

Agreed. But that said, if I get my way, then the next boss in line will be Goenitz.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:35 am Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
Also, I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for a source for tbh- just to confirm, I'm pretty sure the comment about GG never having non-conforming characters before is intended to be read as oozing sarcasm.

Specifically a source that called the character non-binary, or "x-gender" as the term is known in in Japan. Although looking into it myself it appears even on the English side I haven't seen the localization actually call Testament 'non-binary' either and it seems to only be some gaming websites and people using that term. Agender is a synonym for genderless so it seems to still be keeping to that trait for the character. They/them/their is grammatically correct for unknown gendered beings though so I think that update is fine. In Japanese it's a lot easier to talk about someone without using any gendered pronouns at all.

enurtsol wrote:
Meanwhile, bad news, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is fourth-lowest launch[/url] for a Final Fantasy spin-off in Japan

The combat is fun but the game does not have much to do with Final Fantasy besides some superficial things like names and terms. The main cast is even more forgettable than 15. The levels and music feel a bit cheap in their attempt to invoke nostalgia as well. I can see why people may not be interested in it much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2