• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tearmoon Empire Light Novels Get TV Anime in 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:37 am Reply with quote
Wonder how they'll handle narration in this. The novels have a pretty active narrator-voice, which may be necessary for certain elements to work. If not handled carefully, it could become overbearing in an anime adaption.

Still, good news this is happening. The only surprise is that it took so long.
EpicMatt16

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:50 am Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
Wonder how they'll handle narration in this. The novels have a pretty active narrator-voice, which may be necessary for certain elements to work. If not handled carefully, it could become overbearing in an anime adaption.

Still, good news this is happening. The only surprise is that it took so long.

That my biggest worry is that they either do too much of the narrator or too little. The narrator is one in this series that they are going to have to be very careful with.
tearpear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:56 am Reply with quote
AQuin1904 wrote:
Looking forward to this. I've been enjoying the Japanese audiobooks a lot.

I hope the character animation is on point, because Tearmoon definitely deserves some amazing facial expressions.

I looked on amiami and cdjapan and couldn't find the product, where are the audiobooks?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:18 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Also, Sumire Uesaka's voice here reminds me a heck of a lot of Maaya Uchida's Smol Bakarina voice. It also seems like she was in the Drama CD, so it seems like they're keeping that cast?

Besides Sumire Uesaka, this is the cast of the drama CD (which they may or may not retain, but Uesaka being retained seems to point to it being possible):

Anne: Tomori Kusunoki
Ludwig: Yuichiro Umehara
Abel: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
Sion: Shun Horie
Keithwood: Toshiki Masuda
Rafina: Nao Toyama
Tiona: Kanon Takao
Liora: Fuko Saito
Chloe: Rie Takahashi
Gain: Toshinari Fukamachi
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:29 am Reply with quote
tearpear wrote:
AQuin1904 wrote:

I hope the character animation is on point, because Tearmoon definitely deserves some amazing facial expressions.

I looked on amiami and cdjapan and couldn't find the product, where are the audiobooks?

Searched a little and it's available on the Japanese Audible site;
Audible version "Tearmoon Empire Story ~ Princess Reincarnation"

No idea if the service accepts overseas customers, haven't tried it...
whatev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:34 pm Reply with quote
The Tearmoon Empire novels show just how important good writing filtered through a good translation is to the enjoyment of a written work. It should go without saying, but some people seem to believe that the basic plot, characters, or concepts of a work can overcome mediocre translation or writing. Reading Tearmoon Empire and Otherside Picnic back to back showed that while I might have preferred the later in terms of concept, the vast superiority of the former in writing or translation meant that I enjoyed it much more overall. This isn't even necessarily meant to be a slam on Otherside Picnic (although I do wonder about how it actually reads in Japanese) but more praise for how excellent Tearmoon Empire is in writing.

Like some people above, I do wonder about how it will ... translate to anime, though. [/quote]
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:25 pm Reply with quote
tearpear wrote:
AQuin1904 wrote:

I got them with a JP Audible subscription (it lets you stream as many audiobooks as you want for 1,500 yen a month). I don't know if you can get them elsewhere.

Audible theoretically requires a Japanese billing address, and I use it with one, but I've heard it doesn't actually verify the address you give it as long as you have a card that won't throw up flags over Japanese transactions in yen.
reaslin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:35 am Reply with quote
whatev wrote:
The Tearmoon Empire novels show just how important good writing filtered through a good translation is to the enjoyment of a written work. It should go without saying, but some people seem to believe that the basic plot, characters, or concepts of a work can overcome mediocre translation or writing. Reading Tearmoon Empire and Otherside Picnic back to back showed that while I might have preferred the later in terms of concept, the vast superiority of the former in writing or translation meant that I enjoyed it much more overall. This isn't even necessarily meant to be a slam on Otherside Picnic (although I do wonder about how it actually reads in Japanese) but more praise for how excellent Tearmoon Empire is in writing.

Tearmoon Empire does have a very good translator. In some instances it would be interesting to know how the original Japanese text compares to the English translation. How free is the translator's interpretation?

I am thinking of sentences like these.

Quote:
Mia was not one to go gentle into that good night. Hope of escaping her predicament was waning, but she still raged against the dying of the light.

Of course, I am not suggesting that Dylan Thomas is unknown in Japan. I just wonder if perhaps the translator has chosen to allude to that poem instead of something that would be difficult to understand for a Western reader.

Quote:
When he gets tired of using the stick, he starts hitting you with the carrot.

Last edited by reaslin on Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:50 am Reply with quote
reaslin wrote:
Tearmoon Empire does have a very good translator. In some instances it would be interesting to know how the original Japanese text compares to the English translation. How free is the translators interpretation?

I am thinking of sentences like these.

Quote:
Mia was not one to go gentle into that good night. Hope of escaping her predicament was waning, but she still raged against the dying of the light.

Of course, I am not suggesting that Dylan Thomas is unknown in Japan. I just wonder if perhaps the translator has chosen to allude to that poem instead of something that would be difficult to understand for a Western reader.

Quote:
When he gets tired of using the stick, he starts hitting you with the carrot.

I don't have both versions of the book to check, but I'd be willing to bet that second one was "飴と鞭" ("candy and whip"), which is pretty much a one-to-one analogue for the English "carrot and stick."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2