• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Does Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer Overcome Its Animation Shortcomings?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:55 am Reply with quote
If this is the way people actually get into Mizukami's works, which I think are nearly all mostly solid if not great, then I suppose that's at least one positive I can take from the anime existing. That said, a much better adaptation would do that job a lot better and either way, Biscuit hammer should have never come out in this state, hell no show really but that it's something that could have soared to higher heights with the right team/management it stings all the more.

Like this isn't just about simply looking pretty this is about missing a chance to really make the adaptation something worth watching in it's own right which you don't need to look like violet evergarden to do or anything(Planet With is literally a perfect example). Not to mention, unless Mizukami gets type moon kinda money and connections, *this is it*. This was the only shot it will probably get because unless you're a big franchise or a cultural landmark title there will be no financially viable reason to attempt a remake or anything, that's not even counting how many years would have to pass for that to be a consideration.

It seems that Mizukami really had to struggle to find a way to get this animated at all and much as I respect that he was somehow able to make it happen at all, I do find it a massive pity that it not only had to come out like this, but also that the best I can really hope for it is to merely serve as a stepping stone for his other works to be placed in better hands as we leave this adaptation in the dust where, to put it bluntly, it probably belongs.

Oh well, at least there's still the manga.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:23 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
How hard is it to look up pictures of horses? I know they’re hard to draw but just making the mouth the right size and the legs bend correctly is not that hard

but in a deadline or a tight schedule it isn't that easy as you think.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
If this is the way people actually get into Mizukami's works, which I think are nearly all mostly solid if not great, then I suppose that's at least one positive I can take from the anime existing. That said, a much better adaptation would do that job a lot better and either way, Biscuit hammer should have never come out in this state, hell no show really but that it's something that could have soared to higher heights with the right team/management it stings all the more.

Like this isn't just about simply looking pretty this is about missing a chance to really make the adaptation something worth watching in it's own right which you don't need to look like violet evergarden to do or anything(Planet With is literally a perfect example). Not to mention, unless Mizukami gets type moon kinda money and connections, *this is it*. This was the only shot it will probably get because unless you're a big franchise or a cultural landmark title there will be no financially viable reason to attempt a remake or anything, that's not even counting how many years would have to pass for that to be a consideration.

It seems that Mizukami really had to struggle to find a way to get this animated at all and much as I respect that he was somehow able to make it happen at all, I do find it a massive pity that it not only had to come out like this, but also that the best I can really hope for it is to merely serve as a stepping stone for his other works to be placed in better hands as we leave this adaptation in the dust where, to put it bluntly, it probably belongs.

Oh well, at least there's still the manga.

Mizukami also is involved with the anime as he supervises the scripts.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Joker#941490 wrote:

Mizukami also is involved with the anime as he supervises the scripts.

I know, that just makes all this even sadder.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:56 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I feel like the DiCaprio meme, but it is what it is

Wait, which DiCaprio meme? I'm not very up to date on memes, would you mind educating me?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:03 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
Wait, which DiCaprio meme? I'm not very up to date on memes, would you mind educating me?

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/maxresdefault-1605111824.jpg
Me whenever I see a scene I remember from the original in the anime
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:40 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/maxresdefault-1605111824.jpg
Me whenever I see a scene I remember from the original in the anime

Ah, I get it, thanks. I guess I also was that way when she said "Swear your fealty to me" and he knelt before her (fortunately that scene didn't need much animation).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm enjoying the show thoroughly. I also must be some kind of visual Philistine because these apparently glaring animation lapses that are the talk of the town basically blow right by me. By the way, if I was a Beast Knight, I'd want my animal to be a Komodo Dragon because I've always thought them things wuz cool.

I tend not to notice that sort of thing either. I don't think the show looks good overall, but the only thing that actually stuck out has been the horse because how the eyes are drawn keeps changing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2