• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: "All-In-One" One Piece Print Becomes World's Largest Book

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was first announced last week, but it is already sold out, according to JBE Books' website.

We all know what they say about a fool and his money.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
On the other hand, if the interior are actually legitimate copies that were purchased and then reassembled together to make a single copy, I don't think it the interior would count as copyright infringement.

-t

This post is very illuminating and I appreciate the info. It's good to know what the legal implications of this work would be. From an ethical and artistic standpoint I still think it's arrogant as hell (it would be a lot easier to take Manouach's "it's criticizing capitalism" explanation seriously if he wasn't selling this thing for nearly twice as much as it would cost someone to buy every volume of the manga.)
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:07 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
it would be a lot easier to take Manouach's "it's criticizing capitalism" explanation seriously if he wasn't selling this thing for nearly twice as much as it would cost someone to buy every volume of the manga.

To be fair, twice the retail cost of the manga is not really an unreasonable markup for the amount of time and effort it would take to remove the cover from all of them and re-bind all of them into a single volume. It's definitely something that you'd have to do by hand; there are no machines that can handle binding a book that large, and it wouldn't be cost-efficient to make a machine that can do it if you're only going to sell 50 of them.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:08 am Reply with quote
I was under the impression that One Piece was about to end (in three years or so?). If you're going to do something silly like this, it seems like it'd make more sense to wait until the manga was completed, so you could actually make it OnePiece, instead of MostofOnePieceExceptFortheEnding.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:21 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was under the impression that One Piece was about to end (in three years or so?). If you're going to do something silly like this, it seems like it'd make more sense to wait until the manga was completed, so you could actually make it OnePiece, instead of MostofOnePieceExceptFortheEnding.

It was announced that One Piece is entering it's final arc. Given how long the most recent arc was, however, that could easily mean we've got 10 more years before the actual ending.

You're right that doing an all-in-one "art piece" of a story that is very much still ongoing feels self defeating (unless the unfinished nature was directly reflected in the piece, of course, but that does not seem to be the case here).
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:04 am Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:
What a complete waste of paper, made by an egotist who slapped his own name on it over Oda's.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

This is the biggest problem, also selling it as an art piece and not a limited edition consumer product is not very good either. There is a market for an all in one edition of One Piece and it's not art snobs.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:09 am Reply with quote
Why do people assume this hasn't been cleared by One Piece's copyright holder(s)? Just because Oda is not credited (for reasons Tempest already explained, btw he is credited in the press release pamphlet) doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been cleared, somehow. I mean, it's literally reprinting the whole thing, in Japanese, I assume unchanged. Art or no art, this must involve copyright somehow. I guess. Maybe.

Anyway, this seems like less "art project" to me but trying to cash in on One Piece fans willing to pay exorbitant prices for limited edition stuff featuring OP, and on art collectors willing to pay exorbitant prices for limited edition anything... That said, I actually really like this way of commentingon the existence of manga/comics as popular entertainment for mass consumption as well as investment for collectors to be kept pristine and not read, releasing one of the most obvious examples of this phenomenon as a book that can and cannot be read at the same time.

I really don't see how piracy comes into the picture, though? Unless he really pirated the whole thing.
chudmaru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I already find those 3-in-1 volume releases too annoying to read. Can't imagine this being anything other than a shelf display piece.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:11 pm Reply with quote
chudmaru wrote:
I already find those 3-in-1 volume releases too annoying to read. Can't imagine this being anything other than a shelf display piece.

That's the point. It's technically a sculpture, it's not meant to be read.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:20 pm Reply with quote
the publisher of this giant book thing wrote:
shift the understanding of digital comics from a qualitative examination of the formal possibilities of digital comics to a quantitative reappraisal of 'comics as Big Data'.

Translation: instead of thinking of comics as art, people should think of them as something new and scary. Problem is, "Big Data" is the harvesting of people's internet activity through social media and search engines in order to make money off them through targeted advertising. It's got nothing to do with excessively long manga series. Maybe a better idea would have been to print and sell his entire Gmail archive.

Also, I doubt this was made by buying and splicing together all 102 volumes. Tracking down 50 copies of each, apparently all freshly-printed since the pages don't look yellowed, would be rather difficult. And their mumbo-jumbo about how this is supposedly about piracy (ha ha, get it, because the characters are literal pirates) implies that they did in fact reprint it from scans. Maybe ultimately getting in trouble for copyright infringement is part of the performance...?
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:19 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Egotist slapped his own name on it and didn’t even mention Oda!

If you look 6 posts above it was stated that mentioning the original author for transformative works could have actually caused legal problems for the person who creates the transformative work since it could imply that Oda was involved in the creation of this particular work. Long story short not mentioning Oda may have nothing to do with egotism.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Mr. slicer wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Egotist slapped his own name on it and didn’t even mention Oda!

If you look 6 posts above it was stated that mentioning the original author for transformative works could have actually caused legal problems for the person who creates the transformative work since it could imply that Oda was involved in the creation of this particular work. Long story short not mentioning Oda may have nothing to do with egotism.

It they had an actual print run instead of using existing copies, that issue is moot as they'll be in legal trouble either way...
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I get that it's transformative and technically not copyright infringement maybe depending on what country you're in, and that's it's being justified as artistic commentary on media and all that jazz. But overall, this just seems to me like a pretentious excuse to make a bunch of money off of somebody else's work. I don't see any artistic value in literally just gluing together the previously published volumes and slapping a couple of panels that you enlarged all over the outside. How does that encourage anyone to think deeper about media, especially digital media as its description gushes over?

Like, this artist's Maus remake sounds like it was in incredibly poor taste, but at least he was adding something different to the work by actively redrawing the comic. This just seems like an art-washed cash grab with an overly flowery, unnecessarily elaborate justification.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Should have waited for the full thing, and not made with such an intention.

It would at the very least had been a good meme.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of Richard Prince (I do not think his works should be fair use).

Anyway, learned a bit more about this story today. 1) The interior pages were printed off the internet, not purchased. 2) This was not done with the permission of Shueisha or Oda.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2