• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Con Event to be Streamed Worldwide on February 11/12

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:57 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I'm just wondering if they might announce the rest of the dub cast for the Adventures reboot. Last I checked they only announced Tai and Agumon.

Considering the announcement of their VAs was on Feb, 28th 2022 they would have had to had the rest of the main cast selected by now so it makes no sense not to announcement them.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:07 pm Reply with quote
lolyouropinion wrote:

Appmon in particular was a travesty to the franchise, thankfully they saw that and took it behind the shed.
Appmon had a creative premise, unique characters and exciting story with a lot of twist and turns. It's not a season that will meet everyone's tastes but it's hardly a travesty to the franchise, particularly when they followed it up with the universally panned Adventure 2020 reboot. And they didn't "take it behind the sheds" when almost every Digimon show is like a single season.

Quote:
Conversely, you can tell the type of people who love garbage like Appmon but maintain that Frontier is unwatchable. Frontier is fine, it has some weak moments but is fine overall. The hate is all a carryover of Digiboomer takes.
You're literally talking to someone who likes both Appmon and Frontier. Also Frontier is 20 years old so I’m not sure how it is that that not liking it is a “Digiboomer” take but hating Appmon isn’t a “Digiboomer” take. Also like almost every Digimon fan are millennials.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Always so funny to see how hard people get filtered by monster of the week shows, and the idea that a show can be focused around episodic plots rather than any kind of overarching narrative.
lolyouropinion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:21 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Appmon had a creative premise, unique characters and exciting story with a lot of twist and turns. It's not a season that will meet everyone's tastes but it's hardly a travesty to the franchise, particularly when they followed it up with the universally panned Adventure 2020 reboot. And they didn't "take it behind the sheds" when almost every Digimon show is like a single season.

"Creative premise"? "What if the Digital Monsters were apps!" How creative. The premise was a lame and cynical attempt by anime execs to appeal to phone-addicted and ADHD-addled Gen Alpha kids. Appmon was background noise, the excitement about Digimon at the time always revolved around Tri and Kizuna, and ultimately it was taken behind the shed to reboot the original show. Not sure how much more indicting you can get.

Quote:
You're literally talking to someone who likes both Appmon and Frontier. Also Frontier is 20 years old so I’m not sure how it is that that not liking it is a “Digiboomer” take but hating Appmon isn’t a “Digiboomer” take. Also like almost every Digimon fan are millennials.

Are you suggesting that anyone who does not enjoy a new offering in the franchise only feels that way by virtue of being a Digiboomer? I would argue that there are strong and valid reasons to be turned away from Appmon, the 2020 reboot, or Ghost Game, that have nothing to do with being a Digiboomer. They're mostly distinct criticisms too. Thankfully anime offerings aren't the only way to enjoy Digimon media and the franchise has put out excellent game entries the past several years.

But hating on Frontier 20 years later (obviously not talking about you) reeks of 2004 Digiboomerism; they're often the same two-decade-old complaints that somehow haven't benefited from any hindsight, assuming reasons are even given (they're often not).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:25 pm Reply with quote
lolyouropinion wrote:

But hating on Frontier 20 years later (obviously not talking about you) reeks of 2004 Digiboomerism; they're often the same two-decade-old complaints that somehow haven't benefited from any hindsight, assuming reasons are even given (they're often not).
Digimon is just a cartoon for small children. You can just say one season is for you and the other isn't. It's not that deep.
lolyouropinion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:38 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
lolyouropinion wrote:

Digimon is just a cartoon for small children. It's not that deep.

Weird, a minute ago Digimon had "creative premise, unique characters and exciting story with a lot of twist and turns."

Now that you've lost the argument, suddenly it's "just a cartoon for small children."

Disingenuous and weak.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
You can just say one season is for you and the other isn't.

Absolutely agreed. People should stop getting upset over Ghost Game criticism.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:19 am Reply with quote
You should not go into discussion with someone who named themselves lolyouropinion.
lolyouropinion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:44 am Reply with quote
Terry Lang wrote:
You should not go into discussion with someone who named themselves lolyouropinion.

What can I say? Have better opinions.

Let's be real, the problem isn't that I'm a person with a username that triggers you. The problem is that I'm a person with a username that triggers you who also can easily give you a good spanking Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2