• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gushing Over Magical Girls Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:40 am Reply with quote
This thing is erotic, violent, dark, bright, ecchi, light-hearted, lewd, funny, adorable, perverted, and cool as hell and you never know how many panels it will take to switch from one to another or how many will be combined in one scene.
Nev999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:53 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
MiracleNova wrote:
Finally, a REAL yuri anime has arrived! Citrus, Yagakimi, TenTen, WataOshi, Wandering Witch, Uzumaid, Happy Sugar Life, Mahou Shoujo Site, Release the Spyce, Yuri Kuma Arashi, and all other fake yuri anime all rely on crappy males and crappy het which got them flopped hard in sales. But this one is the real deal. This is a real yuri anime like Yuru Yuri and WataTen. Hell, this can even be the Bocchi The Rock of yuri

Tsk tsk. So disappointing. If you're going to phone in these posts then you might as well not bother. Now you're not even naming shows with male characters. Yuri Kuma Arashi is fake yuri"? Really. You used to try , man. What happened?

I thought about this for a while because I was also confused, and now I realize he means the Judgemen guys. I forget to count them as men, but I guess they technically are! The fact their interactions with the girls are generally far-removed and negative clearly doesn't matter.

As we all know, if even one minor male side character exists, even if said male character is literally aromantic asexual like in Bloom into You, the purity of the girl on girl is corrupted because clearly lesbianism can't survive even the slightest contact with men. I don't find this attitude creepy, fetishizing and demeaning as a lesbian at all! Though the constant posts are definitely funny.

Since I personally do not care if there's a guy in yuri, that's not a plus and I think this one is way too fetish-y and yandere looking for my taste. Shame, because a magical girl fan made into a villain with yuri stuff would be my jam otherwise.
MMOSimca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:21 pm Reply with quote
MiracleNova wrote:
Finally, a REAL yuri anime has arrived! Citrus, Yagakimi, TenTen, WataOshi, Wandering Witch, Uzumaid, Happy Sugar Life, Mahou Shoujo Site, Release the Spyce, Yuri Kuma Arashi, and all other fake yuri anime all rely on crappy males and crappy het which got them flopped hard in sales. But this one is the real deal. This is a real yuri anime like Yuru Yuri and WataTen. Hell, this can even be the Bocchi The Rock of yuri

The funniest part to this post is that I think both Yuru Yuri and WataTen are both relatively mediocre (at best) examples of WLW romance. They may not have men (weird criteria btw), but the girls' interest in other girls is played for laughs. To be slightly fair though, most of the list this post calls "fake Yuri" aren't great examples of WLW romance either.

In general, Yuri anime lean either heavily into the friendship side of things (to pick up CGDCT viewers) or into the "isn't girls desiring other girls super lewd" side of things (to pick up ecchi comedy viewers). This is because if Yuri anime played off things as seriously and romantically as some het anime, it'd get even less viewers than it does now. There's a few 'serious, romance-focused' Yuri anime but they are few and far between (Citrus, Bloom Into You, and the Kase-chan OVA are what come to mind).

'Gushing Over Magical Girls' is in the second category (ecchi comedy), in case the title didn't make that obvious. However, it is at least interesting as it gets pretty wild.

Last edited by MMOSimca on Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nev999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:57 pm Reply with quote
MMOSimca wrote:
MiracleNova wrote:

The funniest part to this post is that I think both Yuri Yuri and WataTen are both relatively mediocre (at best) examples of WLW romance. They may not have men (weird criteria btw), but the girls' interest in other girls is played for laughs. To be slightly fair though, most of the list this post calls "fake Yuri" aren't great examples of WLW romance either.

In general, Yuri anime lean either heavily into the friendship side of things (to pick up CGDCT viewers) or into the "isn't girls desiring other girls super lewd" side of things (to pick up ecchi comedy viewers). This is because if Yuri anime played off things as seriously and romantically as some het anime, it'd get even less viewers than it does now. There's a few 'serious, romance-focused' Yuri anime but they are few and far between (Citrus, Bloom Into You, and the Kase-chan OVA are what come to mind).

'Gushing Over Magical Girls' is in the second category (ecchi comedy), in case the title didn't make that obvious. However, it is at least interesting as it gets pretty wild.

Yeah, it's pretty clear he doesn't care about the actual quality of the romance or overall narrative, just whether he sees a man on screen however briefly. The self-insert thing is a shield, Bloom into You is literally written by a woman and he's accusing it of this.

A few more have been happening recently- we have MagiRevo this season and Yuri is My Job and I'm in Love with the Villainess coming up. They all have comedy, but focus on the romance seriously (even if Villainess starts off wacky). Of course, with the upcoming ones, it's hard to say if they'll get as far as the establishment of the relationships, and Magirevo stands out as being the only one that looks like it had the time and resources to pull off nice animation (though I'll keep my fingers crossed).

They all clearly disqualify as 'real' to this guy on the basis of 'has a man' though, clearly (well YiMJ doesn't have an actual male character, just male customers occasionally seen in the cafe, that might be spooky enough!

I'm fine with horny gay stuff, just not the way anime usually does it- (s'why we'll never see an adaptation of 'How Do We Relationship' because it shows adult women having sex in a way that doesn't feel completely alien to the actual lesbian experience). This does sound like it'll be interesting to read reviews of though.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
lossthief wrote:
Now you're not even naming shows with male characters. Yuri Kuma Arashi is fake yuri"? Really. You used to try , man. What happened?

I thought about this for a while because I was also confused, and now I realize he means the Judgemen guys. I forget to count them as men, but I guess they technically are! The fact their interactions with the girls are generally far-removed and negative clearly doesn't matter.

Technically, there's Milne too. And that one man in someone's backstory who we only see as a pair of feet in women's heels?
9017Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Joker#941490 wrote:
another shit anime like that dog pedo anime and love flops lol

What's the matter buddy? Mad that there's no guy for you to ship with the girls? Do you hate yuri so much? I'm so sorry this anime is not yuribait like Lycoris Recoil. No Majima for you to use as a troll. PS: Chisato x Takina is best couple
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:35 am Reply with quote
9017Agent wrote:
Joker#941490 wrote:
another shit anime like that dog pedo anime and love flops lol

What's the matter buddy? Mad that there's no guy for you to ship with the girls? Do you hate yuri so much? I'm so sorry this anime is not yuribait like Lycoris Recoil. No Majima for you to use as a troll. PS: Chisato x Takina is best couple

What a way to completely misunderstand someone's comment. They weren't being homophobic. They were just talking down on it because it seems they don't like ecchi or harem series, categories which this series seems to fulfill.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2