• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rurouni Kenshin TV Anime's Visual Reveals July Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:08 pm Reply with quote
The designs look truer to the manga than I expected.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those few who didn't read the original manga back in its heyday. One of these days I really should pick it up...
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking the art style going off the new visuals. Very nice take on the manga art. I hope we get to see the entire original manga animated, at the very least
catone2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Looks good! I wonder since it's a full remake how they'll handle seasons and how long each will be. Anyways, the new PV at Anime Japan should be good, I hope they reveal the OP/ED artists.
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Can't wait to see it turn into a Hogwarts Legacy situation again, i.e. people going out of their way to not just boycott the product itself, but activately harassing/insulting the people who genuinely enjoy it.

There's no real equivalent of streaming anime to people like streamers do for games so I doubt we'll see anything like what happened with Hogwarts Legacy. What are they going to do, make a 'has this MAL user added Rurouni Kenshin to their Watched list' database for people to search up or something? That's pretty much what MAL is already. Watching anime isn't as interactive as streaming games is so I don't see how it'll happen. And any message board or community that discusses anime can easily veto the trolls out. It's not like hate raids or live-chat that streamers have to deal with in real time.

Besides, I don't think the people who hate Watsuki are as vocal or dedicated to the cause as Rowling haters are. While people went out of their way to denounce anyone and any company associating with Rowling in the slightest bit and have become emboldened from doing so, no one has really done that for Watsuki. There hasn't been many people willing to give up One Piece, My Hero Academia, Hunter x Hunter, and other popular series because Oda, Togashi, and Horikoshi defended him and are still friends with him and do promo events with him. I mean, refusing to support any creator or company that still works with Watsuki pretty much locks you out of a huge chunk of the anime industry at that point since they all support and stand by him. So most people seem to be content with just limiting their focus to Watsuki himself rather than going for the guilt-by-association play since it won't really work.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:06 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I wonder when it gets dubbed, if they will bring any VAs back either of the previews 2 dubs. Then again it will likely go to Funimation, so i guess either brand new cast or brand new cast plus token reprisal.

maybe they will just get live-action dub cast? Micah Solosud seems he would suit this version of Kenshin too
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope Sentai/HIDIVE can license this new adaptation.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:
There's no real equivalent of streaming anime to people like streamers do for games so I doubt we'll see anything like what happened with Hogwarts Legacy.

Ammm... this is not true, there are streamers who watch anime on camera.

I think the idea its watch the thing at the same time as him and feel you are not alone or something, which feels kinda sad, but people do it.
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:
There hasn't been many people willing to give up One Piece, My Hero Academia, Hunter x Hunter, and other popular series because Oda, Togashi, and Horikoshi defended him and are still friends with him and do promo events with him.

Just out of curiosity, but when did Togashi defend Watsuki? AFAIK there is an illustration of Kenshin that he drew in the 90s and wrote a message in the final WSJ issue where RK was published in 1999, but I've never heard that he defended him for the CP case. In that RK exhibition a couple of years ago, when various mangakas wrote tribute messages, Togashi was not part of them.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Ah, man. I miss the franchise, but will probably not watch it. Just can't get bring myself to support 'em, even in whatever small way adding another streaming view represents. It's not like his crime was borderline or anything, and the punishment was an absolute joke; I don't believe for a moment there's anything like contrition there.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Ammm... this is not true, there are streamers who watch anime on camera.

I think the idea its watch the thing at the same time as him and feel you are not alone or something, which feels kinda sad, but people do it.

People watch streamers/youtubers react to their favorite shows to watch their reactions to it, not to "stop being alone".
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I hope Sentai/HIDIVE can license this new adaptation.
Given Aniplex is on the production committee, it's very unlikely. They haven't been able to license a single Aniplex Japan series in over a decade, and all of the titles they licensed from Aniplex Japan expired years ago, including Rurouni Kenshin: New Kyoto Arc.

Aniplex Japan started to let others not Aniplex USA license their stuff again a few years ago, but it was only to FUNimation and Crunchyroll, which are now one single company, and like Aniplex are under the Sony conglomerate umbrella. It's most likely going to go to Aniplex USA and stream on Crunchyroll.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Isn't the new Urusei Yatsura an Aniplex Japan title?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:17 pm Reply with quote
The art looks fantastic
Shuichi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:37 am Reply with quote
I don’t think the series will be licensed in the US giving the circumstances tbh. That’s why the manga stopped being released here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5