• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Insomniacs After School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 1:12 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
Also as someone with real sleep issues, they are just kind of ignoring iot, which frustrates me

They're not really ignoring it as such, they're just not explicitly discussing it at length all the time. Their insomnia still drives things and has its effects, it's just portrayed more subtly than we usually see in anime.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:49 am Reply with quote
This is probably one of the most natural, gradual, and intimate portrayals of a budding relationship between two teenagers that I've seen in an anime. And it makes me enjoy it so, so much.

I'm curious to see how Isaki's friends will react as they get a better understanding of her relationship with Ganta.
ItsThatBriGuy

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:26 am Reply with quote
This idea that Isaki isn't fully accepting her feelings is absurd. She may not be confessing (yet), but her friends are fully aware there's a specific person on her mind all the time, and we've seen her both visibly and audibly frustrated at not being able to get as close to Ganta as she clearly wants to be when others are present. spoiler[ Also, that bit with the synched heartbeats is both a callback to something she discovered while hiding from the police and a foreshadowing of something I hope we make it to this season.]
Dnautics

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:00 am Reply with quote
This show is really good. I love the art style and the romance seems fairly genuine. I'm really getting call of the night vibes the way it is animated. This is animated so much better than shows like the angel next door spoils me rotten and the romance isn't gross.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:11 am Reply with quote
I've been loving this show from the beginning, but this latest episode was my favorite so far. I like that our couple are hesitant but not blind to their feelings, like so many romcom leads. It feels more real and nuanced and believable. I'm totally rooting for our sleepless lovebirds.

Those shots of the stars reflected in the water were some of the best visuals in the series yet, and the prettiest use of the night sky since Call Of The Night.

Also, what a miserable looking school trip! Weather aside, running laps? Camping in tents? Making sand sculptures? Who thinks this is a good idea for a trip? Or fun for teenagers? This would be a nightmare trip for me, insomnia or no insomnia, so I can only pity poor Ganta and the others...
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:52 am Reply with quote
I asked an acquaintance living in Japan if schools actually took trips like this. He said it was pretty common, though maybe without the "boot camp" aspects.

For a stars-in-the-water scene, it's hard to do better than Shinsekai yori when Shun stilled the river and turned it into a mirror. One of the most beautiful sequences I've ever seen from A-1 Pictures.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 2:56 pm Reply with quote
This show gives me the same feels as Koori Zokusei. I like the slow build between Ganta & Magari, seeing that they both like each other despite having insomnia. It obviously seems like Magari is falling for Ganta. I love the character designs and the animation quality.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I think I need to rewatch this ep again now that I know how it turns out. It was far from relaxing to watch, first being annoyed at that bozo who kept waking him up, then waiting for them to get caught on the beach. Yeah, I know they sidelined the teacher for us, but that didn't necessarily mean he wouldn't sober up (or one of the other chaperones) and intercept them (especially with them screaming at the top of their lungs - just how far away was this beach from their campsite?), or that one of their classmates woke up and maybe followed one of them. I'm still not entirely convinced they got away clean, given where it ended.

So yeah, not really feeling the ASMR vibes on this one. Smile But I sure do like how it looks. I think all the characters' very pleasing faces make me like them more than I would if they were drawn in a more standard art style.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:20 pm Reply with quote
That beach scene has got to be one of the most beautiful romantic scenes I have ever seen.

(And they're not even an official couple yet they keep sleeping next to each other and even snuggled up here...)
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:15 am Reply with quote
The way this story depicts insomnia really hits home. In the scene just before the break, Ganta is completely exhausted, wants to sleep, needs to sleep, but just as it seems like he might actually drift into sleep, a sudden sound jolts him back fully alert. The absolute frustration he experiences is painful to watch. I can't even count the number of times the exact same situation has happened to me.

If I were to nitpick something about this episode, it'd be that somehow cuddling with one's "friend" temporarily cures insomnia, but that was such a romantic moment that I'm willing to overlook it. This episode is brilliant, among the best of this season in plot and production.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:03 am Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
If I were to nitpick something about this episode, it'd be that somehow cuddling with one's "friend" temporarily cures insomnia, but that was such a romantic moment that I'm willing to overlook it. This episode is brilliant, among the best of this season in plot and production.

I suffer from occasional insomnia, and cuddling up to my wife very definitely helps. Not always for certain, but it's the way to bet.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
Also, what a miserable looking school trip! Weather aside, running laps? Camping in tents? Making sand sculptures? Who thinks this is a good idea for a trip? Or fun for teenagers?

I mean, when schools are planning things for their students, "what would be fun for them" is rarely anywhere near the top of the list of priorities.
Aerdra wrote:
If I were to nitpick something about this episode, it'd be that somehow cuddling with one's "friend" temporarily cures insomnia

I don't know, it seems fairly reasonable to me; each of them can't sleep because of their anxieties, and being with a specific person who they are entirely comfortable around alleviates those anxieties. Obviously it's not the definite cure for everyone's insomnia, but it works for theirs.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:36 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Ganta getting to know Isaki's friends better as we, as the audience, get to know them better.

It's funny watching how the third wheels react to being third wheels in the pairs' relationship.

Is the first time an anime character has vaped?

Isaki's line about leaving a trace of her behind is very concerning, especially knowing the pedigree of these youth drama romances. Everyone would immediately be reminded of YLIA.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There it is, the foreshadowing of tragic events to come! When I thought I would go through an anime season with nothing but good feelings, Isaki has to drop that ominous line about wanting her existence to be preserved.

We did get a smaller hint of this in an earlier episode - Isaki said something about having a weak body, or being ill a lot as a child (and the OP includes a shot of a younger Isaki in what appears to be a hospital with some other kids).. and I think suggested it was the root of her insomnia... but claimed to be totally fine now.

So maybe the desire to be remembered/preserved is a hangover of that earlier illness. Or maybe she's not actually totally fine.

MFrontier wrote:
Everyone would immediately be reminded of YLIA.

And I guess that would be fine if done well. Though I'm a sucker for happy endings.
XR250rdr

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:15 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Quote:
While a lot of the insight into getting the camera to work was surface-level, it was still accurate, so kudos to the author for knowing how to get all that stuff to work as intended.

It seemed "off but close enough" to me... But then, other than Comet NEOWISE, my last foray into astrophotography was fifteen years ago. (And I shot NEOWISE with some advanced techniques the anime probably won't, and shouldn't, get into.)

It's the camera that catches my eye... I can't quite figure what it is. From the lens, it's definitely Canon, maybe something in the xxD series? Definitely professional glass though.
(For the not camera folks, that red ring is found on Canon's high end lenses.) For a random gift, that's pretty spendy.

I started reading the manga over the weekend. Its clearly a 5D in one panel. So that would make the lens most likely a 24-70 F/2.8. Heck of a present for a 5th grader...or pretty much anyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5