• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about host clubs. I've seen them referred to in anime, obviously, but I've never watched an anime that was specifically about them, and I don't really understand the specifics.

Are they a male version of women who work in clubs and will sit and talk and flirt with a customer as long as the customer keeps buying drinks, but no sex?

They are exactly this and are pretty common in the Kabukicho section of Shinjuku, Tokyo where the episode takes place.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, given the zombie time going on I suppose that things did get a bit physical in those host clubs near the end (just not in a fun way). I wonder if we will get into the why and how of the outbreak in this series. It seems more like a just enjoy your time while the world goes to shit kind of series instead of looking for a cure or patient zero.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:42 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I've never watched an anime that was specifically about them, and I don't really understand the specifics.

Kabukicho Zombie Host Club! Very Happy

I really do hope we see more of Shou (not much reason to show him saved by Akira's distraction otherwise). I was sad that Haruki and Kaito didn't make it. Sad
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:47 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I really do hope we see more of Shou (not much reason to show him saved by Akira's distraction otherwise). I was sad that Haruki and Kaito didn't make it. Sad

Are those the hosts that were fighting alongside Shou? I've been assuming the bar itself would play some kind of role since there were still a bunch of survivors that he protected, and he wasn't featured in the OP (that abbreviation always feels weird since I'm used to seeing that mean over powered). But now that I think about it, killing off all the rest of the staff seems like an odd choice if that's the case.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:20 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Oh yeah, and was that a recommendation or just for my host edification? I was aware of its existence, I just never watched it (or the one about Yuri being somebody's job, or most maid cafe one's either (except for the one about Akiba Maid Wars). Generally just doesn't seem like my kind of thing, but I've been wrong in those kind of pre-judgments before. I'm already behind just trying to keep up with all of the anime I'm interested in right now, but I'll give it a try if that's a gold star recommendation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:29 am Reply with quote
Yes, Kaito and Haruki (megane host) were the # 2 and 3 hosts. Were I a patron, I'd have picked Haruki. Laughing

As for Ouran, I really like it, but ymmv. I am very much enamored of Haruhi for her general attitude of practicality uber alles and hints of non-binary and/or ace identities. It's not flawless by any means (a few major sexist faux pas), but overall worth the look (though since your time is a factor, I'm stanning for Link Click again as a priority. Razz ).
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:47 am Reply with quote
Edited to replace the word anime with manga in a key sentence.

Now Link Click I did try once, a couple of years ago. I thought the idea seemed sort of interesting, and one of the characters was pretty annoying (yawn) and oh! Look! A trashy isekai!

But I did the same thing when I saw Chihayafuru the first time I tried it, and then I gave it another shot a few years later and oh my God, why aren't they making a season 4??!!?? I love that damn show! I'd even read the manga if the series was finished publishing in the US.

So I'll put giving Link Click 3 episodes on my anime agenda.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

With all the paintball splatter of this show, and all of the candy colored neon floss effects of Synduality, watching anime this season has been a bit like an acid trip. Not that I've every actually dropped acid. The closest I've come to doing mind altering drugs is arguing with Blood about whether real life exists or not . Wink

The show continues to lurch wildly between depravity and sentimentality, tragedy and slapstick, despair and hope, and I continue to find it impossible to look away from. I thought the big busted blonde in the OP was going to be the flight attendant mentioned in the title preview last week, but looking at the OP more closely, blondie seems to be wearing pseudo samurai garb, so maybe she's the blonde foreigner who worships Japanese martial arts trope? Next week's apparently called "Hero of the Dead..."
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:54 am Reply with quote
The funny thing is seeing the red blood in the zombie game that was being played and than seeing all the real zombies going about spreading their colorful paints in the world. It does really fit with how the mc thinks and how the downfall of the world is his best period in life....which is a sad thought.

As for the episode of this week....man talk about being yanked into all kinds of emotions in the span of just ten minutes or so. Yet even the sad moments all not all just sad, but can be a bit hilarious/absurd or hopeful/at peace at the same time too. Yukari dying/being bitten was sad and yet she realized that she was doing her dream job and what made her do it. They also got their tv at the end of it all.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:56 am Reply with quote
It was a very sad episode for me. Such a waste of sweet flight attendant goodness. And the boozer went in an especially horrible way... I think we all know where she got bitten first (maybe not Edjwald because he's such an innocent...). Anyway, another strong offering but I do wish Practical Girl was re-injected into the proceedings.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It was a very sad episode for me. Such a waste of sweet flight attendant goodness. And the boozer went in an especially horrible way... I think we all know where she got bitten first (maybe not Edjwald because he's such an innocent...). Anyway, another strong offering but I do wish Practical Girl was re-injected into the proceedings.

Don't worry, I'm sure that we'll be seeing her soon enough!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:59 pm Reply with quote
The show surprised me in one way; When Akira jumped the rolling tanker truck, I expected him to land on top of it and skim his way off of it but I guess it's just more... something... to clear it all in one leap.

The rest of it? "More survivors. How are they going to die by zombie? Why are they talking about normal life in the present tense? They're all dead now, time to leave so all the zombie had to go first. Sorry, forgot to mention the TV, the most important part of the quest."

I do laugh every time Akira suddenly remembers he's in a zombie apocalypse and now that's he actively getting people killed, it's so much more fun. Right, that's how this works?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I do laugh every time Akira suddenly remembers he's in a zombie apocalypse and now that's he actively getting people killed, it's so much more fun. Right, that's how this works?

He didn't get them killed, they all would have died either way since the man that was with the three women was already infected before Akira and Kencho even met up with them.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:00 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And the boozer went in an especially horrible way... I think we all know where she got bitten first (maybe not Edjwald because he's such an innocent...)..

::::blinking in confusion:::::: Based on the way she was sprawled out among all those empty wine bottles, isn't it obvious that she was bitten in the Goods and Services area? Y'know, the 18+ section? I don't know why you have to act like everything's some big mystery.

I'm curious to see how the queen of "Zombieland Rules" is going to return. I can't see her thinking Akira's best friend is much of an improvement when looking for allies who are analytical and cautious.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:01 am Reply with quote
Maybe I am overreacting, but I didn't really enjoy the turn of events of the flight attendants horribly turned into zombie. There is this level of uneasiness I have felt like all the sexual female characters in the show getting punished for it. The woman sleeping with the boss in the first episode, the whole host club thing, and the group of sexy flight attendants starting with one who took the starting acts of a zombie as annoying sexual advances. It does feel like excessive old horror tropes of slut shaming, which isn't really something I want to see a focus on.

When looking at something like a zombie horror show, its the meta narrative that is going to be more important than the literal survival narrative, especially in a show like this that has already show the danger that can face the main character from the zombies as inconsistent. I am not even sure where the line is, with other characters used as props. Are the only surviving women going to be "good" women? The two surviving men have been two guys who I guess hated their work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8