• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sacrificial Princess & the King of Beasts

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I guess it was only a matter of time before they addressed the elephant in the room of the sacrifice issue and how it doesn't really fit the kind of kingdom Sari and Leo want to make. They can't truly make a kingdom of peace that accepts everyone if they keep that going.

I live for all the romantic couple moments between Sari and Leo. They really feel married now more than ever. Also, Sari's Anubis impression was perfect.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of homecoming for Sariphi can expect returning to the human world now as the future queen of beasts instead of a sacrifice...and they immediately lock her up. Classic.

Ha, all that talk about Leo's mother and look who we see in the next episode preview. The resemblance is uncanny.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:21 pm Reply with quote
As much as I miss the lighter comedy chapters that have gotten cut, I'm really pleased with the pace of this adaptation. I was afraid that it would feel rushed in the second half when I thought of all the things left to cover at the halfway point, but it's been a great time. Hopefully it will also inspire some people to pick up the manga to see the side stuff they missed.

This series' straight-faced commitment to keeping all the romance sweet and romantic is a welcome reprieve from a lot of what I've been reading/watching lately. I think Leo's supportiveness stands out to me more because I'm used to seeing his visual archetype paired at least initially with more toxic qualities.

I can't explain why I find Anubis infinitely entertaining, but I'm still happy whenever he's on screen.
q_3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Anubis is entertaining because, in the end, his main role in the series is to repeatedly get owned.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Of course on Sari's first day in her human homeland she ends up arrested and thrown in jail...though at least Ocelot just let her go once they confirmed her identity. Though did they really not think that most people in human society wouldn't be able to read her message?

So Asya isn't Leo's mom but they share the same ancestor who was the first queen of beasts? I don't really know if the beasts age slower than humans to the point where she could be Leo's actual mother rather than their just being human blood that's been passed down from beast king to beast king until it started acting up in Leo.

I'm betting Sari will continue to chip away at Asya's icy demeanor and help her and Ocelot reconcile.

Set is making his moves. How far does Anubis' loyalty go?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:44 pm Reply with quote
From first impressions and little else to go by, my money's on sister for now. She's too young to be his mother, and she seemed to be having rejection issues as a child, which there's no explanation for if she herself is his mother (assuming only one human in the lineage).

I'm guessing her mother had her with a human father who was killed somehow and she was taken in by Leonhart's father. Whether she returned to the humans after Leon's birth or had left Asya with the humans earlier, can't guess, but so far I don't recall she's said a word about her own mother, so I think she must be the "ancestor."
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect Ocelot to be so smooth he was planning to have Sari reunite him with Asya the whole time. But well done.

I also didn't expect the king to react the way he did or things to go smoothly on that end, but I guess it makes sense that they'd be just as happy to end the sacrifice practice rather than keep sending women over their to maintain peace.

I like how almost everybody could tell something bad was about to happen...but the secret was bound to come out at some point. I guess the question is how they handle this, how they win the people back, and if Sari will be able to help Leo realize the truth about his mother in the process.

Also, Anubis you dirty traitor!
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
So, in terms of antagonists, we've traded up from the Egyptian god people who know nothing about ancient Egypt mistakenly think is evil to the one people who have read collections of Egyptian myths mistakenly think is evil.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I bet Anubis is a double agent who’s secretly still on Leo’s side (no manga spoilers, please).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:21 am Reply with quote
I didn't have Set as Leo's half-brother on my bingo card for this show, but okay. So how long has he been planning this takeover?

With Set in charge the class/species distinction becomes more rampant as they start to separate the different species, Nazi style. Even interracial couples are hit. I also like how some citizens didn't care whether Leo was human because he'd done right by them, yet some still fear Sari. But that little child she saved may be the kingdoms' future.

Jor punching Anubis is one of the most satisfying scenes I have ever scene.

Sariphi and Amit really stepped up here, especially for their men. I loved seeing Sari and Leo finally kiss in Leo's human form.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is an easy new fave. I'll have to read the manga now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect much going into this series but it has become one of my more recent favorites. A definite home video release purchase should it get one.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:12 pm Reply with quote
As far as Shojo fantasies go, this was one of the more enjoyable, and I'm glad it was able to get 2-cour to complete the story and give us a full romantic resolution.

So really the problem was the former king, what with being sterile and stealing his nephew from his mother and making Set think he was his child to cover their tracks. Set turned out to be yet another character struggling to find meaning in their existence, which Sari was able to relate to.

Ha! So Leo's real parents were like him and Sari. His dad sounds much more like him than the former king. And his mom wanted him to meet someone like Sari. Also was his mom Mamiko Noto?

I'm glad Anubis is finally self-aware of his character flaws.

We got the wedding! Some JorxAmit teasing! Sari looking spectacular in her wedding dress! Even the pair stealing a kiss from each other!

Time-skip! Richard really does embody everything Sari and Leo were fighting for, being able to freely bounce between human and beast form without anyone batting the eye and taught the power of being a true ruler by Anubis having learned from both Leo and Sari's example. I'm only disappointed we didn't get to properly see the pair during the time-skip.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Now to hope someone eventually licenses the sequel manga.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not at all clear on the relative life-spans of beastfolk and humans. Is Anastasia's mother the "ancestor" or was Leon's mother another or more generations back? I don't think we ever got any clarification as to whether Asya is Leon's half sister or not. I didn't see if they even checked in on her and Ocelot during the montage, though Ilya got a few frames.

Anyhow, I was satisfied with that finale. I wouldn't mind more, but I don't know where the story would go, and it seems like it doesn't really need a sequel. Medetashi, medetashi and all that. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2