• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anairis Quiñones to No Longer Voice Yoruichi in Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Anime's Englis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Apparently it's been known Wendee Lee has been problematic within the anime industry for years and nobody has spoken up about it till now even though everyone knew. What else is being hidden from fans by the industry? And people are saying Wendee should have never been recast even though the Bleach dub has already done dozens of recasts for this new season and recasting only became a problem when a black woman was cast in the role.

I mean, people have been complaining about the recasts this season for a while now, especially for not bringing back David Lodge as Kenpachi (who was recast before but wanted to come back for this season and was never contacted), Roger Craig Smith as Shinji, or Liam O'Brien as Ukitake.

Well, that and all the double-casting.
oilers2007

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:39 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
I have no idea what you are on about. Fans caring about keeping an original VA is not "ugly precedent". When you have a series that's been around as long as Bleach has, studios messing with the way things were is asking for fan reaction. I thought the decision to bring her back was a breath of fresh air - means the industry listened to what the fans wanted. Isn't that the point? Pleasing the consumer?

Listening to fans always sounds like a good idea to me. They are your customer base, after all. The only way I can see it being bad is if they listen to the wrong kind of fans, like, the people who demand a show be censored or something. Listening to a mob that wants to ruin something is obviously bad, but in this case seeing fans disappointed at a recasting and the studio going out of their way to bring them back seems like a pretty standard thing. Weren't people super exciting they got most of the original cast for Digimon back to reprise their roles for the recent re-dub for Adventure?

Although I guess it can be a bit annoying... like the people who kept asking for Pokemon to bring back the original 4Kids VAs up until the series ended. At some point it's probably best to move on and accept it's not happening, but given the timeframe it seemed like they were pretty quick on the recasting this time around and it was possible to get the original VA back an episode or two after they were replaced.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
And people are saying Wendee should have never been recast even though the Bleach dub has already done dozens of recasts for this new season and recasting only became a problem when a black woman was cast in the role.

There's an entire thread with close to 100 comments for when they replaced Chad and you're even in it so I don't know where this take is coming from.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:48 pm Reply with quote
oilers2007 wrote:
Listening to fans always sounds like a good idea to me. They are your customer base, after all. The only way I can see it being bad is if they listen to the wrong kind of fans, like, the people who demand a show be censored or something. Listening to a mob that wants to ruin something is obviously bad, but in this case seeing fans disappointed at a recasting and the studio going out of their way to bring them back seems like a pretty standard thing. Weren't people super exciting they got most of the original cast for Digimon back to reprise their roles for the recent re-dub for Adventure?

Although I guess it can be a bit annoying... like the people who kept asking for Pokemon to bring back the original 4Kids VAs up until the series ended. At some point it's probably best to move on and accept it's not happening, but given the timeframe it seemed like they were pretty quick on the recasting this time around and it was possible to get the original VA back an episode or two after they were replaced.

Fair point. I guess I just wasn't on board with suggesting recasting was an ugly act. I am a pretty old Bleach fan and when I found out Ukitake had changed I was annoyed. But I'll admit he's not the most major character. Just a personal favorite.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:

At least Jamieson Price was a class act about this, though he personally stepped down from voicing Chad so I guess it was slightly different.
onpufan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:50 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Though the funny thing is they actually brought her back for an interview on Reloaded with the new dub cast. I think Yuri is in the game as Yukari's dad so I wonder if they have her voicing somebody else in the new dub.

Honestly I think that has the potential to be worse in some cases. Bringing back a VA just to let them play a bit part rather than their original main character role seems like such a slap in the face. Unless it was their request like they couldn't voice a main character anymore due to their health or time and just a cameo was all they wanted, but if they expressed interest in reprising a role and all they get is a pity cameo then I think that'd be worse than not getting a call back at all since it's a studio telling you you're not worth casting in a main role anymore. It's especially bad when the JP cast remains the same so it's probably not an intentional creative choice to have a new voice.
GoingOnAnOoting

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Wonderful wrote:
I think it was because you had some VAs expressing their disappointment she accepted the role back after Quinones started. I saw one of them said Lee was shitty for accepting the role back after it was recast and she should have simply accepted the fact she was no longer playing Yoruichi anymore and to move on. It probably stuck a nerve for her to see her peers say stuff like that.

Yeah some of the stuff that was being said was ridiculous, doesn't excuse Wendee's reaction but I think I understand where she's coming from. I think it was Kellen Goff who said something like "You'll always be my Yoruichi" to Anairis and that came across really OTT, she had three lines in one episode?

The only person who looks good in this whole thing is Anairis imo, though I am actually glad Wendee got the role back.

Last edited by GoingOnAnOoting on Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:33 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
I have no idea what you are on about. Fans caring about keeping an original VA is not "ugly precedent". When you have a series that's been around as long as Bleach has, studios messing with the way things were is asking for fan reaction. I thought the decision to bring her back was a breath of fresh air - means the industry listened to what the fans wanted. Isn't that the point? Pleasing the consumer?

Of course, she did react badly afterwards, but that's a discussion about her as a person - not about the fans.

There's listening to fans and understanding your consumer base prior to a dub being produced, it's completely different thing firing an actress less than two-weeks into her run because of fan blowback. That's what's ugly. Some of which sure was about wanting as much of the original cast returning, but also decrying "diversity hire" and other discrediting rhetoric. If you are going to make a decision like that as a studio/producer/director, have a backbone and stand by it instead of letting said new actress get thrown to the fandom wolves in such a high profile series and then let her go after a second thought.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:38 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I know that to some she's viewed as a WoC but to me she comes off more Japanese compared to other characters in Bleach

You know that Japanese aren't White right? She is Japanese, but that means she is a WoC.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:44 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
They should have just stuck with the recast instead of yanking it away from, on top of that all Wendy Lee had to do was stay quiet about it instead she acted unprofessional on Twitter and got into an argument with other VAs who said nothing against her to begin with.

Couldn’t agree more. Wendee should’ve kept her mouth shut. She knows EXACTLY what this represents, yet another dark skinned character voiced by a white actor.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:46 pm Reply with quote
This whole situation really sucks. I don’t think the recasting should’ve happened in the first place, especially if Lee wasn’t even informed, but once the recasting did happen, to just rip it away from the new voice actress is just…I can only imagine how awful that would feel.

The whole thing is yikes.
GoingOnAnOoting

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Couldn’t agree more. Wendee should’ve kept her mouth shut. She knows EXACTLY what this represents, yet another dark skinned character voiced by a white actor.

But by this logic shouldn't dubbed anime have exclusively asian casts in most cases?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:57 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
You know that Japanese aren't White right? She is Japanese, but that means she is a WoC.

I know, I guess I just meant in the sense of being "black" which I think was the association.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:58 pm Reply with quote
GoingOnAnOoting wrote:
But by this logic shouldn't dubbed anime have exclusively asian casts in most cases?

Yes...but never engage with this insanity. There is no winning and only twitter-like gotchas and moral high-grounding.

Both things can be true: give people of color more voicing roles and dub production companies can cast whoever they want. But, honestly? No one is going to remember this news story in two weeks.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:58 pm Reply with quote
What a greasy, shameful turn of events here. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10